The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Meaning of the LBT characters' names

action9000 · 122 · 42248

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
When I heard Ali's name I thought it would be spelled "Elly" or something like that. I remember when I read the spelling I was quite surprised. Reading "Ali" I would usually think of it as a middle eastern male rather than a girl's name.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Yup me too, I spent years thinking her name was spelled Elly or Ellie, I even wrote a fanfic with her name misspelled =p Maybe in a weird way it has something to do with her species (Apatosaurus) and since she belongs to a herd of migrating dino's a lot like some midle-eastern tribes, maybe they associated her with them. Who knows, it could just have been that they found the name amusing or something like that
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've seent he name Alison spelled, Allison. Perhaps Ally is a nickname.
The female name Ali is short for "Alison" or "Allison" probably too; I knew an Alison who went by Ali (though I'm not sure how she spelled her nickname.  It may have been Ally or something different).

I found two sites, one for Allison and one for Alison (not the missing L in the second one):

http://www.weddingvendors.com/baby-names/meaning/allison/
Of German origin, meaning "kind" (which certainly suits Ali!)

http://www.babynamenetwork.com/detail.cfm?...n&gender=Female
Old English origin, meaning "The Light of the Sun"

Are we getting somewhere? :P: LOL This is a tough one!  I don't think we'll ever know if we figured it out or not.  Perhaps is there no hidden meaning at all behind her name, but it is fun to try. :wow

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay I thought of a really obscure one for Ali's name:
Let's look at the letters: A L I
I see (laugh if you want; I'm laughing too!) a recursive acronym:

Ali
LIttlefoot

by "recursive" I mean that the A in Ali stands for...Ali.  It refers to itself.  It's a random theory I just though up: Simply, Ali and Littlefoot.

This would also explain a possible future story idea regarding the quote from LBT 4: "Maybe we'll all live together someday" or "indeed see Ali again one day...but that's another story!" :lol

kaytea

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://scarygreenhamster.deviantart.com/
Quote from: NewOrder,Apr 21 2006 on  03:55 PM
Rinkus - there are many pterosaurs that have this termination, there is one species with a long tale, like Rinkus's that is called Ranphorychus, probably miss-spelled, but something like this

the correct spelling is rhamphorhynchus

okay I shall be on my way

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Oct 17 2006 on  04:48 PM
Okay I thought of a really obscure one for Ali's name:
Let's look at the letters: A L I
I see (laugh if you want; I'm laughing too!) a recursive acronym:

Ali
LIttlefoot

by "recursive" I mean that the A in Ali stands for...Ali.  It refers to itself.  It's a random theory I just though up: Simply, Ali and Littlefoot.

This would also explain a possible future story idea regarding the quote from LBT 4: "Maybe we'll all live together someday" or "indeed see Ali again one day...but that's another story!" :lol
Too much analyzation.  :lol:  I seriously doubt that's where they came up with the name.  So what if they chose a name that has no relation to a dinosaur?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Too much analyzation.
I knew somebody would say that! :p
I figured, hey, I might as well post it. Don't worry; I didn't waste much time coming up with that one. :P:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know, I was reviewing Wikipedia on LBT 4 and I came across something about Dil.

As it turns out, according to this, Dil's species is actually Deinosuchus, an extinct prehistoric relative of the crocodile/alligator.  I guess Dil's name does come from Crocodile, but I think it should be pointed out that her species is a relative of the crocodile.

*sighs*

Now if only we could figure out Ali and the others. -_-

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I looked up all possible information on Ali's species on Wikipedia.

Here's something I found:

Scientific classification

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Sauropsida

Superorder: Dinosauria

Order: Saurischia

Suborder: Sauropodomorpha

Infraorder: Sauropoda

Family: Diplodocidae

Genus: Apatosaurus
Marsh, 1877

Species

A. ajax
A. excelsus
A. louisae

Synonyms
Brontosaurus Marsh, 1879c

Elosaurus Peterson & Gilmore, 1902

----

Okay, can this help us come up with something here? :unsure:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well now we have a few new characters with the LBT TV series out.  We see a few new names pop up:

Ruby
Screech
Redclaw

I feel that Screech and Redclaw's names are quite obvious, but what about Ruby's?  What are your thoughts on Ruby's name?

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Rubys name can probably be traced from her skin color, which is pink (like Tria's and Sue's.) Also, Ruby is an easy to remember name that can be marketable, which is important for this character, as she is the only one in the Gang of Seven that has no previous appearance in the movies. I wonder how she and Chomper will be put into the 13th movie, assuming that they appear in it. So far, we have seen continuity between the 12th movie by the appearances of Tria and Tricia, so I suppose the order of events will be placed by the references to specific events in the past, as well as the release date in the real world. It's important for us to remember that when we see the 12th movie for the first time, those of us who have seen the tv series will actually be looking at past events (from our perspective.) Anyway, that's where Ruby's name comes from; the gemstone, or at least its color.

EDIT: The simplest way to set the internal chronology of the series in relation to any future movies and keep it all consistant would be to have a movie create a new set of conditions (like a new child, a departure, an arrival, or even a death), and to have those conditions appear in the series after a certain point. This would be facilitated best by having a movie appear in between seasons in the tv series. A possible example of this would be: Season 1 has no Ali in it, season 1 ends. Between seasons one and two a movie is released in which Ali could be made to be a permanent member of the valley's population. Season 2 begins, and Ali appears. We will know that everything that has happened in season 2 occured after the movie due to Ali's appearence. This has already happened once before; we know that the series takes place after movie twelve due to the appearance of Tricia. From this point of view, the tv series could be the best thing that ever happened to the movie series, as it encourages plot development and the appearance of new, permanent characters (Tria, Tricia, Ruby, Redclaw, Screech), and reappearances of old characters (Chomper, possibly others in the future.)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
From what Aria told us Ruby was originally meant to be named Ovie. As Ruby is an Oviraptor it is obvious where that original name would have been comming from.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Who's Screetch?
I agree with Noname, however Guido disappeared after LBT XII and there's no reason for that to happen. In the end he doesn't leave the Valley, in fact he lives with Petrie throughout the movie (sorry for the spoiler) and there is no indication of him leaving.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
But wasn't Guido just a guest in Petrie's home? It says that in a clip on the website(having not seen the movie, I have little way of confirming that fact.) I suppose we could see Guido again in the series; they've got his voice actor (Rob Paulsen) on the show already (as Spike), and it would show some continuity, like showing Tricia, who was also in the 12th movie.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Feb 8 2007 on  09:47 AM
But wasn't Guido just a guest in Petrie's home? It says that in a clip on the website(having not seen the movie, I have little way of confirming that fact.) I suppose we could see Guido again in the series; they've got his voice actor (Rob Paulsen) on the show already (as Spike), and it would show some continuity, like showing Tricia, who was also in the 12th movie.
Which reminds me, we also need to figure out Guido's name.

Anyone got any ideas?  Let's start with what he is.  What is he supposed to be anyways? :blink:

EDIT: Oh, and if anyone notices, I finally got myself a sig! :^.^:

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He's a microraptor gui. The website itself says this; just add "do" to "gui."

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Yeah, Guido is a guest, but he has nowhere to go. Besides Petrie's family has grown quite fond of him.
I never saw Guido as a Microraptor, he has a bick, and Microraptors had Dromeosauridae shaped heads. However, that is what's said in the website so we cant argue with that, just another misdrawn dino in the series, not that there ever was a correctly drawn one.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah, thank you for such info on Guido's name.  I'm sure action9000 will be around soon to put that in the first post.

Now, I relooked at all the information I got from Ali's species, and I think I found some possiblities.

First one:

Kingdom: Animalia

Okay, see what I bolded there?  Who would've guessed it was that?

Now, here's the second possibility:

Family: Diplodocidae

We then take the letters I bolded and mix them up, and we get Ali.

The second one is quite a possibility, based on the fact that Grandpa Longneck called Ali's herd their cusions.  Thus, a part of their family.

What do you guys think? ;)

EDIT: OMG!  This is my enter Cera rank post!  I finally made what I was aiming for! :^.^:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm sure action9000 will be around soon to put that in the first post.
Done B)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
EDIT: OMG! This is my enter Cera rank post! I finally made what I was aiming for!
I sure hope you won't stop posting from now on fearing to advance to Littlefoot level :lol