The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Civilization

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm definitely excited to try out the new Civ VI!  :yes

My only minor complaint at this time has to be the art style. When I look at screenshots I don't get the same sense of elegance and pristine-ness to the visual aesthetic that I got from Civ V. Rather, Civ VI has a much more cartoony artstyle which doesn't seem particularly appropriate for a game like this.

Colour is welcome. Vividness is welcome. I'm not looking for grit. I'm just not in love with how childish the art style appears to be compared to Civ V.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/25/why-fira...ivilization-vi/

A new article that talks more about the expanded cities feature in the upcoming Civ VI game, along with a few other features. Also, based on one of the images shown in that article, it looks like one of the playable leaders will be Teddy Roosevelt (which I believe is a first for the entire series, as far as official content goes).

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quill18 showing some gameplay from the game here. So far, it looks a lot like 5, haven't goten to see the whole video yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qzC5cUQcFk

Edit: Civics aren't like in civ 4 or 5. It's basically it's own seperate research tree now. So you have a tech tree that you still get techs points to research, but you have a civics tree, that you get culture points to research, and get mostly happiness and culture buildings with, like the Oracle or coliseum, for instance.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Real sorry for this little bit of necroposting, but I've been playing a lot of Civ5 recently. Currently trying to achieve cultural victory. Never bothered to do so before since it kinda seemed nonsensical and very time consuming... And boy was I right about both of those things. Hope they'll make taking the cultural route worthwhile in the new installment. <_<

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Steam has been having a sale this week, so I decided to finally get the Brave New World expansion pack for Civ V (along with all the remaining DLC I had not yet obtained). I made the purchase literally just a few hours ago, so I have not yet had a chance to actually play it yet, but I certainly look forward to it once I do.

I had been spending the entire summer going through the three scenarios from the Gods & Kings expansion pack, trying to win as every playable civ, and I will say that some of them took a lot longer than I had anticipated. In fact, considering all the other things I've been doing these days, I've since come to realize just how time-consuming this game really is.

I used to follow a self-imposed rule I should stop playing before 6 pm, and if I'm not near the end of my current game, then I just go until the next auto-saved turn before quitting, and then reload that game the next day. Lately, however, not only have I continued playing past my daily deadline, I've even continued past midnight, just to make sure I'm not playing the same game for more than two or three days. The fact that I do my gaming on my desktop and my web browsing on my laptop, plus the fact that I hardly need the keyboard to play this game, I've been able to make it work. Processing the turns for the AI players takes quite some time, especially on larger maps, so I figured I could do other things rather than spend nearly half my time just waiting and waiting. But even so, I doubt I can continue playing something so intensively time-consuming for much longer.

Therefore, I have decided that I will not be getting Civ VI when it comes out. I am going to play through Brave New World, unlock as many of the achievements as I possibly can, and once I'm done with that, that'll be it for me. Once I'm finished with Civ V, I plan to no longer play any game of Civilization at all. I really do enjoy this game series a lot, but I'm afraid I just can't continue to invest so much time into this one game.

- Berix

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Sep 24 2016 on  06:30 AM
Therefore, I have decided that I will not be getting Civ VI when it comes out. I am going to play through Brave New World, unlock as many of the achievements as I possibly can, and once I'm done with that, that'll be it for me. Once I'm finished with Civ V, I plan to no longer play any game of Civilization at all. I really do enjoy this game series a lot, but I'm afraid I just can't continue to invest so much time into this one game.
Awww, does this mean you won't be joining us for any online matches? :lol With that said I agree that Civ games are basically the largest time waster after MMORPGs and MOBA games. But hey, Firaxis promised that an average session in the next installment will be a lot shorter (about 2-4 hours).

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The problem is that you're forcing yourself to gain all these achievements. That's more work than it is gaming for fun so you'll get tired of it after a while, obviously. Only play when you feel like it and not for achievements, then you shouldn't have to worry about Civ eating up all your free time :p
Inactive, probably forever.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's actually not much different from how I used to play Civ III and IV, neither of which came with any achievements to unlock. Basically, I made myself try to play (and win) all of the scenarios as every possible playable civ. I had successfully done that with all nine scenarios in Civ III, and while I did go through every scenario in Civ IV, I'll admit that a few of them I found to be so boring that I never bothered to play them more than once. (Of course, to avoid frustration as much as possible, I always played every game on the easiest setting.)

Sadly, the computer on which I had played all those games had crashed long ago, so all the progress I had made in Civ III and IV is gone forever. Although I did later purchase digital copies on Steam with the hope that I could rebuild my records on a more enduring system, I never bothered to try installing and playing them as I simply couldn't find the time to do so. (And since those two games, unlike Civ V, don't come with achievements to unlock, that would leave me with little more than a bunch of saved games to prove my progress, so I figured, what's the point?)

But if what you're saying is true in that Civ VI games are supposed to be much quicker than Civ V, I may one day reconsider. But for now, I'm going to stay with my decision to finish what I started with Civ V, and then calling it quits on the series.

EDIT: I should also probably mention that I'm not going to unlock all of the achievements on Civ V. I have already come to accept that some of them are so extremely difficult that I'm never going to get them anyway (such as winning certain scenarios on the hardest difficulty setting). There are nearly a dozen such achievements that I've already accepted that I'll never unlock, so we'll see how many more there will be for the Brave New World expansion pack.

- Berix

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Sep 25 2016 on  04:30 AM
But if what you're saying is true in that Civ VI games are supposed to be much quicker than Civ V, I may one day reconsider. But for now, I'm going to stay with my decision to finish what I started with Civ V, and then calling it quits on the series.
Well, that's what the devs claimed in the interviews so far. We'll see whether it's true or not once the game hits the shelves... Personally I didn't preorder Civ6 and neither am I going to buy it day one though. I like the direction the series has taken and I have high hopes for the new title, but I've been hurt before (i.e. Beyond Earth was far from perfect). :o

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think what they were talking about with shorter games was more some way to play a shorter multiplayer game, for those people that can't dedicate 10 hours or more to play together in a more epic scale civ game.

They still haven't elaborated on this, so not sure what they really mean, or how these shorter games would be different than the standard ones.
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Today is the day that Civilization VI officially comes out.

I had decided to take a look at the list of achievements on Steam out of curiosity, and while many of them are rather straightforward, there are also quite a lot of them that require such a special set of circumstances that I honestly find it hard to believe how it would take anything less than pure luck to get them (and I absolutely hate relying on luck as a strategy). And since I've already stated my desire to unlock achievements in any game, I think it'll be best if I stick with my decision to not play this game at all.

I still need to go through Civ V: Brave New World, and then after that, there are also quite a few other games I'd like to get around to playing, so I think it's fair to say that I've now made up my mind for good regarding the Civilization game series.

- Berix

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, Civ 6 is out now, what are the thoughts of those who have got the game already?

BTW: I bought Civ 5 this week (haven't tested it yet though) and started playing the Caveman2Cosmos Mod for Civ 4 :D If anybody wants to play a really cool mod for it, I can also recommend the BASE mod of the german community. It's awesome! (and I'm gonna do a let's play of it soon)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm thining of doing a let's play of Civ 6, but with it a little modded by myself. Now, I can't do much with modding, just look in .xml files and change values, but this is how I'm gonna be playing it.

A marathon game that's modded to have production and growth as fast as in a standard speed game (So 3x faster than it would be) with the tech and civics research rate the same marathon speed in the ancient area, but it get's exponentially more expensive as you go through the ages, so you'll need a huge civ with tons of science to really advance later in the game.

I'm also playing on a map 2x as big as you can normally play in the game (50% more width and height, so I think that's 2x the size)

I'm playing through some of a game with these settings right now, and it's a ton of fun. You can expand and build up much faster in this game, and you have lots of room around you to expand too.

Any one else have any easy to change ideas that could make this better? :D
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Is it really that easy to change these values? I wish I was capable of coding so I could write my own mod :D A dinosaur mod for civ 4, anyone?  :lol

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I looks like right now, all we can do is write stuff in those .xml files. Adding new graphics, like units or leaders) can't be done till they release the actual modding tools. And it's really easy to dig in those files, and just edit values, but if you want to add in new units or anything really, you'll have to add in code in a few different files, at least, and there's no guide right now in what all files you'll have to edit for that.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am loving Civ 6 thus far.  The new district system, when combined with the trade system, really adds to the necessary strategy in the late game.  Want to build a wonder but don't want it taking 100 turns?  Then you have to carefully manage your trade routes to get extra production to the city in question and make sure that it has the districts to allow for improved production. Want to conquer the continent? Then make sure that you plan your unit production and maintenance. Do you plan on using production to build the units, gold to buy them, or faith to inspire them?  And this doesn't even take into consideration the new civics system...

I am still adjusting to the new details and additions but I do not hesitate to say that I am pleased with my purchase thus far.  Civ 6 is much better than Civ 5 was upon its initial build before DLC.  I look forward to wasting even more of my free time with Civ 6 in the near future.   :DD

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Playing civ is never wasted time imo  :lol I should know after streaming civ 4 on twitch for 3 hours (thanks for watching vonboy  :p )

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
At the beginning of this year, I had set myself a goal of completing all progress I wanted to get done for Civilization V: Brave New World by the end of this year; playing as each of the new civs, playing on each of the scrambled continents and scramble nations DLC maps, and completing all of the new scenarios as all playable civs, all while trying to unlock as many achievements as I possibly can. Today, I have successfully met my goal.

Just hours ago, I finished what I have decided will be the last time I will ever play any game of Civilization. (I had played the American Civil War scenario as the Union.) As I've said numerous times before, Civilization V has been taking up too much time for me to continue with it for much longer. Since I always have to practically dedicate entire afternoons and evenings to playing this game, I was able to spare only two days per week for most of the year, and with the number of rounds I had planned on eventually playing, I've very relieved that I was able to meet my goal with less than two months to spare. Needless to say, I'm sticking with my decision of not getting Civilization VI or any other future game in this franchise (though I'll still be checking for any new releases and sharing them here in this topic for those of you who might be interested).

According to my Steam account, ever since I started playing Civilization V back in January 2013, I've logged a total amount of playing time of 2314 hours. As for the achievements, out of a total of 286, I was able to unlock 269 of them, so that's 17 that I've accepted that I'll never get, leaving me with a total progress of 94%. Not bad for all that effort I've done over the past five years of playing this game.

I've certainly enjoyed playing this game a lot, but now it's time for me to move on to other things.

- Berix

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I still would have hoped you could continue to play civ games, but more casually, but if that's the way you feel, I won't be able to stop you. I would have loved to be able to play a game with you sometime, but oh well.

Anyway, congrats on doing almost everything in the game. :cheers  I'll never 'complete' a Civ game like that.

Are there any other games that you enjoy?
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Multiplayer games don't really interest me much, so it's unlikely I would have ever considered playing with you or anyone else here, even if I was still playing the game.

Yeah, I've got quite a few other games that I hope to try next, now that I'm finally finished with Civ 5. I'll talk more about them later in the "Whatcha Playin'?" topic, as this topic is meant just for the Civilization franchise.

Anyway, since it's now been over a year since Civ 6 came out, what does everyone think of it so far?

- Berix