The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Petrie. · 25 · 4615

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Until I uploaded my Petrie santa avatar again did I notice really how big 170x170 pixels was for a board avatar when maxed out to both dimensions (with square images).  Therefore, there is a change.  Avatars will max out at 120x120 pixels, which is still quite large comparable to many other boards.  

Your avatar will not automatically resize until you put a new image up, or reenter the image in "My Controls" and "Edit Avatar Settings".  Only then will the size shrink to the new standard.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I hate it when people flood boards with huge avatars (it didn't really happen here much, but...), so I don't really mind.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Are you saying you want everyone to change the size of their avatars cuz the board won't do it for them automatically?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Your avatar currently shows up larger than Petrie's, which appears to be at the 120x120 limit. It doesn't appear to have shrunk any avatars already set (as seems to be common with InvisionFree...), but it will shrink any new over-sized avatars uploaded or set.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Dec 15 2007 on  04:23 PM
Your avatar currently shows up larger than Petrie's, which appears to be at the 120x120 limit. It doesn't appear to have shrunk any avatars already set (as seems to be common with InvisionFree...), but it will shrink any new over-sized avatars uploaded or set.
Yes that's what I said.  It won't do it automatically.  If you reupload the image or paste the URL and hit save changes in your profile, it will go to the new restrictions.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Done, but it warped the text pretty badly.  I'll go remake it.

EDIT:  Done.  What a size change! :wow  I didn't know only a few pixels could make the picture look so different.  I don't like it very much now.  Oh well.  I can take it off after christmas.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Dec 15 2007 on  05:08 PM
Quote from: Manny Cav,Dec 15 2007 on  04:23 PM
Yes that's what I said.
DOH! :slap And I read that over so carefully to not mess anything up. :P:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Whoop, looks like I should shrink down my avatar then!  I'll get to that asap. B)

EDIT: Done.  Shrunk it down to 115x77

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess we should all make sure our avatars are at most the size that Petrie's is?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Yes mine is the maximum because it is a square.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just a question, but has the size limit of the avatars been changed as well or can I still use a 50-60k image?

EDIT:  and it's a good thing for image ready cs2 otherwise I'd have a lot of work to do resizing my current avatars. :P:  I hate to say it, but letting the board automatically resize the images really sucks.  It blurs the image.  I have to do it manually for it to look right.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
The image will only be forcably resized if the image dimensions are larger than 120x120.  Anything smaller in either dimension (height or width) will remain the same.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
What I like is when I have one large avatar and I can slap it on wherever I go. I just let the board stretch it if it's too large wherever I am. Of course, I do a little tailoring on certain images that are better off resizing than stretching.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The image will only be forcably resized if the image dimensions are larger than 120x120. Anything smaller in either dimension (height or width) will remain the same.

That didn't exactly answer my question.  You told me some time ago that my avatars shouldn't exceed 50-60k (after I put up a freaking 5mb avatar. :lol)  Now that the maximum size is different, is that size restriction the same or can I still be in the 50-60k range with my avatar?

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Lucky mine fine as it is I hope...

Actually, yours is 170X136.  It needs to be a maximum of 120X120. -_- I must say I'm not too happy about this change.  I can only have one character in my avatar now cuz if I have more than one, you can barely see them.  It was a big change.  I would love to have this avatar, but it's just too small at a maximum length of 120:

If it were this size (160X121), it would look much better:

Though, I do agree 170X170 was too large, I think that 120X120 is a little too small for avatars with more than 1 character.  I'll have to just find one character to put in my avatar now.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 22 2007 on  08:07 AM
Lucky mine fine as it is I hope...

Actually, yours is 170X136.  It needs to be a maximum of 120X120. -_- I must say I'm not too happy about this change.  I can only have one character in my avatar now cuz if I have more than one, you can barely see them.  It was a big change.  I would love to have this avatar, but it's just too small at a maximum length of 120:

If it were this size (160X121), it would look much better:

Though, I do agree 170X170 was too large, I think that 120X120 is a little too small for avatars with more than 1 character.  I'll have to just find one character to put in my avatar now.
The first one looks fine to me, landbeforetimelover. It's just a bit smaller than the second one.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Quote from: Petrie,Dec 22 2007 on  04:24 PM
Be happy I didn't make it smaller.
thanks Petrie :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Actually I was talking to Austin since he wasn't too keen on 120x120 avatars.  I actually can resize any avatar to the proper limit, and I may do yours unless you do it yourself.  Everyone else is updating theirs to fit the new guidelines.