The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Darwin's Soldiers: Card of Ten.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm planning on writing a fan fiction based off of Serris' RP Darwin's Soldiers, which takes place after the events of the terrorist attacks on Pelvanida Base. Some of the characters from the RP will be appearing.

For anyone who didn't participate in the review, here's a recap: The RP chronicles a terrorist invasion of a government research station called Pelvanida, in the deserts of Nevada. A team of scientists, security guards, and the animal experiments fought them off, but not before the terrorists created an Einstein-Rosen bridge; a gateway though space and time. Card of Ten takes place very soon after the events of the RP.

I've already gotten Serris' permission to write the story, but I also want to get permission from the owners of the various characters.

I'd first like to say that the majority of the story follows duplicates of our characters trapped in a parallel universe, so your actual characters will not be harmed in any way. They also won't appear that much; almost all of the story will be seen through the eyes of the duplicates.

If you have any objections about your character appearing in the story, please say so here. (Also, if you don't have any objections, I'd love to hear that too.) The first part of the story will be posted next Friday, and will probably be updated once a week.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have no objections you may use Hans and Werner in your fanfic.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I can't wait to see how a fan fiction based on my RP turns out! :!

I also allow you to use: Dr. James Zanasiu, Zachary, Dr. Yuri Kerzach, the Dhole, the Iguana guard.

Is it okay if I place some of the PMs you sent me here to help people understand it better.

In fact, I'm reconsidering allowing you to publish it (as a spin off like the Star Wars novels). But please wait until my novel appears in a book store first.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Of course. If I ever tried to publish this, I'd contact you first and get your permission again. Sure, post the PMs if you want to, but most of the info I put in them are revealed pretty quickly in the story.

One thing I have to say is that I'm making some assumptions as to how the RP is going to end. If my predictions turn out to be incorrect, the first few chapters might have some minor changes, but nothing too severe, I hope.

The first section will be posted this Friday. Thanks f-22 and Serris for your support!

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One of the things you might want to mention is the status of the characters. Perhaps they'd attain heroic status among everyone else?

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
February 28th, 2009

Around the Pelvanida Complex, things were calming down for the first time that week, as government troops had finally arrived to hold back the masses of reporters, photographers, and journalists that had arrived in greater numbers than the terrorists who had attacked the base only week ago.

James Zanasiu watched the cleaning crews sweeping up debris around the main hallway. "Kinda strange that after all we've gone through, they can just bring in a bunch of janitors and pretend it never happened."

"Oh, we're not getting away that easy," remarked his companion, Zachary. "The families of the dead personnel are filing one of the largest lawsuits in U.S. history. This won't be going away any time soon."

"Do you think they'll keep the base open?"

"There's no way to tell. I doubt it."

Another scientist, Dr. Shelton, came up from behind. “Doubt what?”

“Hey Rudy,” said James. “We’re just discussing the fate of Pelvanida.”

Shelton snorted. “It’s toast. The government won’t want anything to do with this place for a long time.”

“Including anyone who was involved,” said Zachary. “Intervention by the Equestrian Scientific Union is the only reason I’m not sacked right now.”

“You think you got it bad?” protested Shelton. “At least you aren’t the poster boy of the whole thing!”

A few day before, Time Magazine had released a special on the ëPelvanida Incident.’ The front cover was a photograph of a bloodied, dilapidated control room, with an angry Dr. Shelton about to put his hand over the camera lens. The photograph had made headlines across the globe, including the Wikipeda page.

“TouchÈ,” agreed Zachary. He looked around. “Where are the others? Werner? Neku?”

“Werner is currently testifying to the Supreme Court regarding the fate of the surviving terrorists. He’s agreed to in order to give his father immunity.”

Werner’s father, Hans Donitz, had been among the terrorists who had invaded the base, but later switched sides.

“The others are in various states of reclusion. Trying to avoid the public eye.”

“I don’t blame them,” said James. “I’m planning on moving to my cabin in Santa Barbara. Indefinitely.”

“I’m afraid that won’t be necessary,” said a fourth voice.

All three turned around. A short, balding man in a black suit stood, looking remarkably out of place amongst the workers skittering everywhere. “Dr. Zanasiu?” he asked.

“Yeah, that’s me,” said James.

“Please come with me.”

James exchanged a look with his companions, and followed the man.

The man led him to the control room. “We need a little privacy,” he explained, pushing the door open.

Inside, Dr. Kerzach jumped up from underneath a sparking control panel. “James!” he exclaimed. “I’ve almost got the intercom system working, but Shelton ran off… who’s that?”

“Leave us,” the man asked.

Kerzach looked confused, but walked out.

The man showed James his badge. “Agent Whittaker, CIA.”

“Pleased to meet you.”

“I’m sure you’re aware of the situation you and your comrades are in.”

“Pardon?”

“None of you will ever be able to receive jobs in the scientific community again. Your colleges have removed your names from their alumni lists, and the government has blacklisted each of you for the next decade.”

James shifted uncomfortably. “I guess I’m aware now.”

“What you might not be aware of is that your situation places you in a unique position to help the government.”

“How so?”

The agent smiled. “Think about it, Dr. Zanasiu. A team of top-notch scientists, coupled with battle tested psionic experiments, that have absolutely nowhere to go.”

“I still don’t see how that helps you.”

“We’ve repaired the Einstein-Rosen Bridge.”

James was taken aback. “You what?”

“The government saw an excellent opportunó”

“You fixed it? After the others and I put our lives on the line destroying the thing!?!”

“President Obama has issued pardons to each of you, so you won’t be punished for impeding scientific progress.”

“Impeding progress?” James was livid. “You don’t understand what you’re getting into!”

“The government is well aware of the risks involved.”

“Forgive me for saying so, but I highly doubtó”

“Dr. Zanasiu, please. We’re getting off topic. The government has given you the option of assembling and commanding a team to enter the bridge and report back regarding any scientific information you may discover.”

“It’s never been tested. Anyone who enters might just get wiped out of existence.”

“That is the risk involved, if you accept the assignment.”

“And if I say no?”

“Perhaps you can get a job teaching Biology at a high school.”

James sighed. “All right, then. I accept.”

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It's off to a great start!

It's kind of interesting that no one's commenting about James and Zachary's heroics during the incident. But I can see why?

Still, it might be interesting to have word of their heroic activities come out.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Maybe a bit of the next chapter could focus a little on the Supreme Court hearing on the incident.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
@ Serris: The government's never been one for awards when their reputation is in danger. It might take another dimension to earn some respect.

@ f-22: Well, the next chapter's close. It is a hearing of sorts.

March 1st, 2009

The next day, James stood in a large briefing room, a collection of government officials staring down the table at him.

The man at the head of the table, an old, white haired man, stared at James through his bifocals. “Dr. Zanasiu, are you ready to brief us on your team?”

James nodded.

“Then begin.”

James clicked a remote, and the screen behind him switched to the first slide.

“This is Zachary, my assistant. He’ll assist me in any duties that need to be performed while on the mission.”

“And why can’t any of the other team members assist you?” asked Agent Whittaker.

James felt nettled. “They can. But I’d prefer an assistant.”

“ ëPrefer?’ Not require?” asked the white haired man.

“If that’s how you see it, okay. Highly prefer.”

“We’ll see. Move on.”

James switched slides. “This is Dr. Rudyard Shelton. As primary expert on the workings of the Einstein-Rosen Bridge, Shelton will be chief bridge operator, and expert on foreign technologies.”

“Is there any relationship to the late Commander John Shelton?”

“It’s his son.”

“Then yes. Shelton is cleared to go. Next.”

“This is PX-0715-91, also known as Neku. Next to him is the Siberian Husky, Snow. They were successful experiments produced at Pelvanida, and will serve as diplomats in case of contact with hostile parties on the other side of the bridge.”

“What are the chances of contact on the other side?”

“Unknown. No information can be gathered until we go through the bridge.”

“And you are factoring in the extremely low probability of life existing on any planet, let alone wherever you may go?”

“In our universe. Again, we know nothing about life on the other side.”

“You may take one of them, not both. Next.”

James sighed. “With all due respect, I doubt either will agree to only oneó”

“Please, doctor. The matter is closed. Move on.”

“Fine. This is Hans and Werner Donitz. Both are extremely skilled in terms of science and combat, both of which will be important on this mission. They will serve to complete any function, military or scientific, which will be needed during the mission.”

“But they will not serve any function in particular?”

James hesitated. “No.”

“Which one is more qualified scientifically?”

“I guess Werner.”

“Then he may go. Next.”

James knew he couldn’t press the issue. “This is Vic Summers. A trained soldier, and battlefield medic, he will serve as our doctor, and perform any medical operations needed.”

“Approved. Next.”

“Dr. Josephine Smith. As well as being a commendable scientist in her own right, she has also been trained in supplemental bridge operations by Shelton. She is to serve as his and Vic’s assistant.”

“Are their jobs important enough to warrant an assistant?”

“If Shelton makes a mistake, we could be trapped on the other side for all eternity. And Vic, as the head doctor, may be the difference between a wounded teammate’s life or death.”

“Then very well. Dr. Smith is approved as an assistant.”

James frowned. “I’m team leader, and you wouldn’t even give me an assistant.”

“Who was the German? He can be your assistant. Please move on.”

“Siberys is a well-respected Pelvanida experiment. He will be in charge of keeping morale up for the other experiments, as well as keeping a tally on supplies.”

“But you will only have one experiment going, will you not?”

“That you’ve heard. I haven’t finished reading the list.”

“We’ll see how many more experiments are approved. Next applicant.”

“Roy Hawkeye, bioboosted cybersoldier, and Kagetora, trained in swordsmanship as well as firearms. They’ll serve as security.”

“Approved. Is that all?”

“No, sir. My last nomination is Robert Ludlow, also known asó”

“Robert Ludlow?” The white haired man picked up a piece of paper. “You mean the failed experiment?”

“He’s commonly known as Lockdown. Yes, he was a failed experiment, but he’s made great progress in controlling his matter-antimatter transmutations. He registered to come along to make up for the trouble he’s caused the scientists of Pelvanida Base.”

“Denied. Absolutely. He would serve no purposeó”

“All right, you know what?” James interrupted angrily. “Why do you care so much about denying my appointments? If I remember correctly, we’re all being sent on this mission to get rid of us! Zachary, Hans, Lockdown, we’ve all been blacklisted, and have no chance of accomplishing anything else with our lives! I’m sure you’ve read the statistics, odds are we’ll all die the second we go through the bridge, so why are you blocking people you want gone?” James stopped, taking a deep breath. “I want every one of my appointments approved right now, or I and everyone else in my team will refuse to partake in the mission, and you’ll have to risk the lives of useful soldiers and scientists!”

The room was silent for a very long time. James wondered if he’d gone too far. The white haired man finally looked back at him.

“Very well. All appointments approved. And I want you out of this dimension by the end of the day.”

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
That night, the team assembled in the sublevels. Zachary reviewed James’ team. “You made some odd choices,” he commented.

“Yeah?”

“I mean, Shelton, Joe, Vic, I was expecting them. But Lockdown?”

“I saw a reason to bring him, so I did.” James shrugged. “It wasn’t easy to get some of these cleared.”

“I imagine.”

“Hey,” interrupted Shelton, “Are we gonna get this show on the road? This place gives me the creeps.”

“Sorry, Rudy, but the sublevels was the most isolated place they could have put the bridge. It wasn’t my decision.”

“Well, it is your decision to leave, so let’s get it on.”

“Agreed,” said Vic.

James smiled. “If we’re all ready. You have all read your briefing pamphlets?”

They all nodded.

“This is your last chance to drop out, no questions asked.” He looked at them one by one. “Shelton?”

“Did you even hear Vic and me thirty seconds ago? Come on!”

“Hans?”

Hans nodded. “I have nothing in this world. I’m quite happy to move to a new one.”

“Me too, dad,” said Werner, before James could ask.

“Neku? Snow?”

They both nodded. “Nobody in this world believes that a Siberian Husky and a dragon can have feelings for each other. Maybe in the next dimension, they will.”

“Josephine?”

“Please, Dr. Joe,” she corrected. “And yes.”

“Siberys?”

“Yes.”

“Hawkeye? Kagetora?”

Both nodded silently.

James saved the most unsure for last. “Lockdown?”

Lockdown didn’t make eye contact. “Yes.”

“Are you sure? We have absolutely no clue what will happen on the other side. We could all die instantly.”

Lockdown hesitated, but slowly shook his head. “No, I’m going. I’ve been nothing but trouble for you scientists the pass nine years. I’m going to start helping now.”

“You don’t have to prove anything, you know.”

Lockdown said nothing, but averted his eyes. James took that as a yes.

“All right. Let’s go.” He hit the button on his radio. “Kerzach, we’re ready. Go.”

“Roger, rerouting power to the bridge.”

The towering, mirrored frame of the bridge flared to life in front of them. Shelton stepped forward.

“These were the coordinates the terrorists had been planning to enter into the bridge,” Shelton said as he encoded them into the activation panel. “That means we can assume they go somewhere survivable.”

The bridge shimmered.

Shelton locked the coordinates in place. “If we’re going, now would be the time.”

“All right,” said James. “All together now.”

They stood in a row, in front of the bridge.

“Now!”

The thirteen of them jumped in unison.

Immediately, James felt a curious floating sensation as he shot through a blackened void. He tried to turn his head, and found he’d lost control of all motor functions.

Suddenly, he was sent tumbling by what felt like an atom bomb blast somewhere to his left. As he hurtled uncontrollably in the wrong direction while simultaneously feeling a sort of counter-force pushing him back, the only thing he knew was that something had gone horribly wrong.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ooh. Getting more interesting.

Also, it might be interesting to hear the fates of the Dragonstorm scientists.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
James flew out of the bridge, sprawling to the ground. A succession of thuds told him his team was doing the same.

Shelton was the first person up. “What the hell happened in there?” he demanded. “I was positive we were going to die!”

“I’m sorry!” cried Lockdown, burying his head in his hands. “I didn’t mean to!”

“What are you talking about?” asked Zachary.

“I couldn’t control it, I… I…”

“You what?”

“I turned the bridge into antimatter.”

There was a strained silence. Everyone turned to look at the bridge, glittering behind them.

“I’m sorry,” Lockdown repeated.

James got up. “It’s all right.”

“No, it damn well is not all right!” Shelton burst out. “We could have all been killed, and as it is, I only see five of us that got through!”

James looked around. Besides the three of them, he also saw Zachary and Siberys. “Where are the others?”

“Well,” Shelton responded sarcastically, “they could be on the other side or they could all beó”

“Don’t say it,” warned Zachary. He crossed over to the bridge controls. “Is there any way to tell where they went?”

“There isn’t even a way to tell where we went. All it has is a coordinate set.”

There was a large rumble around them. Dirt fell from the ceiling.

“What was that?” asked Siberys.

“The bridge might be causing it,” said James. He commanded Zachary. “Shut it down.”

“No!” interjected Shelton, as Zachary reached his hand forward. “There are eight lives hanging in the balance, and I’m the one who knows how to work the bridge, so don’t touch anything!”

Another rumble. Lockdown coughed as he disappeared in a cloud of dust.

“Shelton…” asked James.

“From what I can tell,” interrupted Shelton, viewing the screen of code beside the coordinate system, “they’re in limbo. They’re stuck in the bridge until we eject them.”

“Can you do that?”

“Sure. But I’d have to send them the other way.”

“Back to where we started?”

“Yeah. Wait, actually, no,” he frowned. “The coordinates have changed. Inversed, actually.”

“Can you change them back?”

“Not without erasing the eight life signs still in the machine.”

James thought about it. “Okay, release them. Then we’ll go after them.”

“But I have no way of knowing where these coordinates go! I could send them into a planet’s core, or more likely, empty space!”

“Well, it’s not like we can do anything else!” said James. “Do it. Zachary, Siberys, you’re going in with me afterwards.” He unclipped his sidearm.

The gate shimmered. “Done,” said Shelton. “For better or for worse.”

“Well,” said James, “no use waiting around here, when the others need rescuing.”

And the three of them stepped back through.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
that was good and a cliffhanger. I'm wondering what will happen next.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
James saw the darkness clear from his vision, and his feet landed on solid ground. “That wasn’t nearly as bad as last time,” he said.

“Ditto,” agreed Siberys.

They were in what looked like a temperate climate. A field of yellowing grass extended to their left terminating in misaligned hills. A coniferous forest was to their left.

“Looks like mid-summer,” remarked Zachary. “High noon.”

James hit the radio. “This is James Zanasiu. Is anyone reading me?”

No answer.

“Let’s fan out,” directed James. “We try the hills first.”

They crept across the grass, approaching the hills. “The landscape here is remarkably similar to the landscapes found on Earth,” Zachary noted.

“What are the odds of that?” asked Siberys.

“Shelton will know. For now, let’s focus on finding the others.”

They reached the top of the hills. Below, they could see a village not too far away. “Should we go there?” asked Siberys.

He was cut off by gunfire inside the forest to their left.

“That was an AK!” exclaimed Zachary.

“That’s go!” yelled James.

The three sprinted back across the field. As they approached, they heard more fire.

James burst into the cover of the trees. He spied the source of the gunfire crouched behind a bush.

James rolled across open ground and knelt beside the shooter, who he now recognized as Hans. “Hans, what’s going on?”

“I don’t know; I woke up and was under attack.”

“By what?”

“People with spears and crossbows.”

“Is anyone else here?”

“Dr. Joe and Vic. We got separated.”

James peeked over the bush. Figures dressed in dirty tan cloth were approaching, armed with medieval-grade weaponry. An arrow whizzed by his head. James fired a retaliatory burst. “How many of them are there?”

“It’s a hunting party. Too many too count.”

Suddenly, gunfire enveloped the hunters from both sides. James and Hans dove for cover.

When they got up, they saw Zachary, Siberys, Dr. Joe, and Vic drop from the treetops. “You looked like you were in a bit of a jam,” smiled Zachary, reloading his pistol.

James smiled. “We were. Thanks.” He turned to Vic and Dr. Joe. “What do you know about this place?”

“Nothing,” replied Dr. Joe. “We’d barely exited the bridge before I was almost impaled with a spear. “

“Have you located any of the others?”

“We haven’t had time. We were only here for a minute.”

James turned to the group. “So, do we return back to base, or search for the others?”

“I vote we move on to the village. See what they know,” said Siberys.

“I say we head back and think of an actual game plan,” said Vic.

“Whatever we do, someone needs to stay behind and guard the bridge,” said Zachary.

“I’ll do it,” agreed Dr. Joe, and Vic nodded akin.

James nodded. “If anything happens, go through the bridge to Shelton. Don’t wait for us.”

Both nodded, and the groups split up.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
All right, I'm reviving this story after an incredibly long time. I have it finished handwritten-style, but I need to type it up, which is taking some time. Here's the next part though.
------------------------------

As James, Zachary, Siberys, and Hans approached the village, James ordered, “Weapons at rest. We don’t want to startle anybody.”

They crossed the edge of the forest and walked through the outskirts of the town. The inhabitants continually looked up at them, some with less-than-friendly glances.

“James,” said Zachary. “They’re human.”

“I know.”

“Do you know why?”

“Another thing to ask Shelton.”

The town appeared rather primitive, mainly huts and wooden cottages. A large amount of noise was emanating from a tall, thick adobe structure to their left.

“Let’s check that place out.”

A guard made a halfhearted attempt to stop them, but it didn’t deter James and his team.

The audience, composed mainly of boorish, tipsy townsfolk, was laughing at a man with excessive body hair and an extremely fat woman on a stage. The woman was attempting to get her pudgy fingers through a small hole in a board which had bread on the other side, and the man was attempting to dance, but weights tied to patches of his hair would throw him off balance.

“Seems to be some sort of freak show,” commented Zachary.

“It’s disgusting,” said Hans. “Let’s get out of here.”

“Agreed,” said James. “Come on.”

They turned to leave, but before they could, a loud voice boomed from on stage.

“Friends, all my friends, lend me your attention please!”

The fat lady and the hairy man were being led off, and a tall, smiling man was addressing the crowd.

“Did he just speak English?” gasped James.

But before he could ponder this unexpected change, something more important caught his eye.

“It’s Snow! And Neku!”

Their team members were being led onstage. Snow was locked in a primitive muzzle and leash, and Neku had ropes forcing his hands together.

“My friends, these two beauties were brought in minutes ago by Menken, everyone’s favorite butcher, and his sons, and they’ve graciously sold them to this show, just for you! Have you ever seen anything like them?”

“Why don’t they use their powers?” whispered Zachary.

“Dunno. Listen, let’s get back stage, and when the show’s overó”

“No way, I’m rescuing them now!” Siberys whipped out his pistol.

“Siberys, wait!”

Siberys fired three shots into the air.

Immediately, pandemonium ensued. James found himself cut off from his team as hordes of frightened drunken townsfolk barreled past him for the exit. James kept his eye in Siberys. Who was heading for the stage.

Siberys vaulted onto the stage, firing at a man trying to lead Neku backstage. The man bolted, as Snow broke free from her captors and ran for Siberys. Siberys pointed his gun in that direction, but James pushed his pistol down. “You idiot! You could have killed somebody!”

Siberys yanked his gun back. “Hey, I was willing to rescue them before they were championed around like circus animals!”

“Let’s discuss this later, and get out of here.” James spied Zachary in the remaining crowd. He waved trying to get his attention. “Hey, Zach!”

Zachary turned, but suddenly a man from behind clubbed him over the head. Zachary collapsed to the ground. Simultaneously James heard a similar noise behind him. He whirled around.

Neku and Siberys had fallen, and a man’s fist was swinging at his head. Stars erupted into his vision, and he fell backwards, landing on the theater floor with a sickening thud.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
At the bridge, Dr. Joe and Vic looked up as Hans limped towards them. “Hans, what happened?” asked Dr. Joe.

“We were attacked. They got the others, I think.”

“Did you find anyone?”

“Neku and Snow. They got them too.”

“Let’s get back to base,” said Vic. “We can discuss it with Shelton.”

The three jumped through the bridge, reappearing on the other side amidst what felt like an earthquake.

Shelton looked up as they appeared through the bridge. “Thank god, shut it down!” he commanded Lockdown, who did so immediately. The shaking stopped.

Dr. Joe looked around. “This isn’t where we started, is it?”

Shelton shook his head. “Almost, but not quite. It’s still Pelvanida, but this dimension’s.”

Dr. Joe looked around. “And what exactly is this dimension? And why is it so unstable?”

“It’s not unstable now. Follow me.”

Shelton led Hans, Dr. Joe and Vic to the ground floor, to a rec room with a large window streaming red light. Dr. Joe gasped at the outside scenery.

The Nevadan deserts had always been dry and unfriendly, but the deserts they were looking at now could only be described as barren. Jagged maroon rocks encircled blackened craters with obsidian shards peppered everywhere else under spiraling dusty winds. Decayed black clouds hang over the remnants of a mountain range in the distance.

“Behold the landscape of Pelvanida desert, February 31st, 3009.”

Vic snapped his head to look at Shelton. “Did you say 3009?”

Shelton held up a battered PDA. The date was flashing in the upper right hand corner. “Apparently Caesar’s leap year thing was changed somewhere down the line. You’re looking at a textbook case of a landscape after a nuclear fallout.”

Vic looked around. “Earth is dealing with a nuclear fallout?”

“Not our Earth. The Earth of whatever dimension the bridge has taken us.”

“So is it 3009 on our Earth?”

“There’s no way to tell. The timelines are unrelated.”

“But why is this one so unstable?” repeated Dr. Joe.

Shelton pointed out the window. “The same reason we’re not dying of radiation. The former inhabitants of Pelvanida constructed a force field to protect the base.”

“And it’s instable because…”

“Because every time we activate the bridge, it puts major strain on the force field.”

“How many times can we activate the bridge and remain safe?”

“Indeterminate. But not many.”

Hans looked back down the corridor. “We need to rescue James and the others.”

Shelton nodded. “But let’s not waste our bridge activations.”

Dr. Joe shrugged. “We only need one.”

“Two.”

“Two?”

Shelton nodded. “Because if the force field goes completely, we’ll need another to evacuate the base.”

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
James groaned, and opened up his eyes. He could tell he was on an inclined table of sorts, as well as tied up.

He saw Zachary to his left, and Snow to his right. He assumed Neku and Siberys were somewhere close by as well.

“Zach, you awake? Zach?” he asked.

“I am,” said Snow.

“Snow, are you and Neku okay?”

“Physically.”

James could tell the tone in her voice. “Snow, I know things haven’t started off great for the two of you. But once we get out of hereó”

“I’m not leaving. Not until I find those men who shot at us, tied us up, and sold us to that horror show!”

“Snow,” James paused, choosing his words carefully. “You’re not thinking clearly right now, which is understandable. But our goal should be to escape, not to wreak havoc. You saw what happened when Siberys flew off the handle.”

“I agree with him.”

James sighed. “You all agreed when you took this mission that I was in charge. And I’m telling you, direct all your focus for escape!”

“Oh no, friend, you don’t need to do that,” interrupted a smiling, rotund man dressed lavishly, who had just come through a door with two standing guards.

“I’m so sorry for the misunderstanding. My name is Gamas, king of Gaman. I do hope you’ll forgive my subjects’ actions.”

James tried to it up. “Maybe. Perhaps you could untie us first.”

“Of course.” The king clapped twice. The two guards stepped forward, and loosened the ropes. James got to his feet.

The king smiled warmly. “The moment I heard of your plight, I rushed to make things right. I assure you, I knew nothing of what they had done to you.”

Suddenly, there was a blur to his left. Snow, who had just been freed, had bolted forward and had pinned the king to the wall, snarling.

James jumped forward. “Snow, stop! Back down!”

“Guards!” the king yelped. “Be gone with this brute!”

“I’m the brute?” Snow hissed. “Did I whip and beat two unarmed foreigners into submission, then drag them like puppets onto an unfriendly stage?”

“Snow, get down! Now!” James pulled her off with effort.

The king got to his feet shakily. “I’m sure the men were not aware you were anything more than animals. If they had knownó”

“You mean the fact that we were begging them to stop wasn’t enough?”

“Snow,” hissed James. He straightened up, and addressed the king. “We really should be going now.”

“Nonsense, you can’t go! You haven’t gotten to experience just how friendly Gaman can really be!”

James looked at his team. “That’s all right. Maybe later.”

The king’s face fell. “If you insist. I have no way of forcing you to stay.”

James turned to leave, but Zachary interrupted. “Wait, James, our weapons.”

James checked his holster. “What did you do with our weapons?”

The king’s smile didn’t falter. “We had them moved to a secure location. So we could study them.”

“We’d really like them back.”

“Of course. But first I’d like to show you my kingdom.”

James saw he was cornered. “If you say so.”

The king beamed wider. “Excellent! Follow me!”

And he skipped gaily out of the room. James exchanged a look with Zachary, and followed.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
(Two updates of nearly all talking. I combined them to get them out of way. Don't worry, it gets interesting next update!)

“Gaman has a long and rich history, as I’m sure your home does,” explained the king, as he led them through town. “Our various lands occupy the whole of the lightened world.”

“The lightened world?”

The king nodded. “About a day’s walk from here is a land where the sun never shines. That land is not of Gaman.”

“Gaman. Where does the name come from?”

“Gamas was the founder of this kingdom. All those you see before you come from his lineage. He was the first man ever.”

“I see.”

“We have all dedicated ourselves to live by his writings, which have been passed down for hundreds of years.”

“Didn’t you call yourself Gamas?”

“It’s the tradition. All kings renounce their old name and take the name Gamas upon crownship.”

“I see. This Gamas sounds like quite a guy.”

“You should read his writings. Amazing.”

“They’re still around?”

“Sadly, no. But they have been passed down by word of mouth and only in the last hundreds years have they been written down.”

They were at the foot of the castle. A lone girl in the courtyard leapt up and ran to greet them.

“Seska!” exclaimed the king happily, throwing his arms around her. “Friends, meet Seska!”

“Seska,” repeated James. “Nice name.”

“It’s the name of Gamas’ wife,” said the girl. James looked at the king.

“Oh no, not me,” explained the king. “The true Gamas. You see, along with his writings, the only other statement that survived was a description of his wife, Seska. The name Seska has since been passed along to he girl that best fits her description. The latest is our darling here.”

James extended his hand. “Pleased to meet you.”

The girl just looked at him.

“Now, for a tour of our castle,” said the king, but James interrupted. “No. We toured your kingdom, now you fulfill your half of the bargain. Return our weapons.”

“Of course,” The king took the guards and started conversing with them.

“Where are you from?” asked Seska.

James wasn’t expecting a question. “Somewhere a long way from here.”

“We’re talking another dimension,” commented Zachary.

The girl looked confused. “I don’t understand.”

“Its all right, we don’t exactly either.” James looked around. The king was returning. The guards were marching into the castle.

“My men are retrieving your weapons. Now, let us tour the castle. I think you’ll be impressed.”

In the quiet field, a circular wall of space time fabric suddenly congealed, and out of it stepped Shelton and Dr. Joe.

“Well, that was certainly an easier ride,” said Shelton, as his feet touched the ground gently.

Dr. Joe, pistol at ready, glanced at Shelton. “How quick can we do this?”

“Beats me. I don’t know how fast this thing works.” He hit several buttons on a hand held electronic board.

“What is that thing, anyway?” asked Dr. Joe.

“Salvaged it from a biogeography station. Reads on the climate, layout, and habitability of the outside environment.”

“What does it say?”

“Everything seems normal.” Shelton frowned. “Wait…”

“What?”

“The soil.” Shelton knelt down and laid his hand on the ground. “It’s showing unusually high temperatures.”

Dr. Joe looked at the ground. “Okay. So it’s hot around here.”

“Must be hot at night too. The temperature’s too hot to have accumulated in one day. There must be heat being vented from the other direction too.”

“What, into the planet’s core?”

“Maybe. The readings don’t make sense.” Shelton looked at the sky. “It’s noon now. We’ll take another reading at night and compare the two.”

“Wait!” interrupted Dr. Joe. “It’s noon? It was noon when we were first here. That isn’t possible.”

Shelton frowned. “I’ll need more equipment to make an accurate reading. Let’s head back through.”

They leapt back through the rift and disappeared.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The front room of the castle contained tapestries and servants milling back and forth.  When the king entered, everyone turned and bowed.

“Thank you, friends! Please say hello to my guests!”

The servants started clapping them.  The king turned to face them, beaming.  “See? We really are a friendly people.”

James said nothing.  He felt Snow shift behind him.

“Come!” The king led them to the largest tapestry, showing a man atop a mountain.  “This is the true Gamas!”

The man portrayed on the tapestry reminded James of a Greek god.  Large bushy eyebrows obscured the eyes, a thick beard flowed in the wind, and muscular arms held aloft a cloud-parting book.  Below him, light shone through his hands, enlightening the miles of land below.

“Did he really look like that?”

“Unlike the statement of his wife Seska, sources differ as to what he looked like.  But it is agreed he was a great man.  Follow me, and I’ll show you even more.”

They left the front room and continued down a dark corridor.  James couldn’t see the end.  

“Where are we going?” he asked.

“The treasure room.  It will fascinate you.”

“This doesn’t look like the way to a treasure room.”

The king said nothing.  James felt Snow nudge his leg.

“There are guards behind us,” she whispered.  

James turned to look, but just then a trumpet blast echoed down the corridor.

“Oh no!” exclaimed the king.  He opened up a nearby door.  “That was the call that Sapaar have attacked!  We must get you to a place of safety!”

“No, that’s notó” started James, but suddenly behind him, Syberis spun around, hitting one of the guards with a right hook.

“Syberis!”

Snow leapt forward to help, but the other guard drew his spear and hit her in the shoulder, sending her spinning.  He twirled his spear, leaving it inches from Syberis’s throat.

“There’s no time for this, get in the cellar!” cried the king.

The first guard got back to his feet, also drawing his spear.  The two advanced threateningly.  Syberis didn’t back down.

“Quickly, quickly…” begged the king.

One of the guards jabbed Syberis in the side.  He grunted, stepping back.  Soon, the guards had them in the room.  Half of the room composed of a large jail cell.

“This is all for your own safety,” smiled the king, as the cell door closed behind them.  Still smiling broadly, he locked the door with a large key and left the room.