The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Darwin's Soldiers: Ship of State

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Oh, wow nice twist.

You know, this story makes me think of another science fiction story but I cannot quite remember which one.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The Aeneid, by Virgil? It's not science fiction, but you've mentioned that you've read several other classical Greek works. I actually learned about the Aeneid after I planned this story, but the similarities surprised me.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I did note some similarities to the Aeneid but that is not quite it.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Hmm. Well, if you think of it, let me know. I'd love to read it.

Werner paced back and forth. The entire colony was assembled in front of him.

“I explained the Einstein-Rosen Bridge plan fully. I left nothing out. I told you how we were going to build it, what it would require, what the risks were. I gave anyone who wanted to a chance to speak up in protest or to ask questions. None of you had any.”

Werner stopped pacing and looked each settler in the eye one-by-one. “But it appears at least one of you does oppose the project, and rather than take the matter up with me privately, attempted to sabotage the project while the rest of us slept.

“This is not a valid way to express dissatisfaction. I am still willing to hear any complaints or grievances that any one of you may have. Would the guilty party be willing to give themselves up? I promise you that there will be no punishment if you speak up right now.”

No one said anything.

Werner sighed. “If it’s the public atmosphere, know that you can always see me privately, and that there will still be no punishment. Hopefully by now you’ve noticed that I always favor discourse over violent action. Dismissed.”

The people slowly went back to what they were doing.

“How can you be so sure it isn’t the Sapaar?” asked Hans.

“The Sapaar would have stolen the fuel, they wouldn’t have tried to destroy one of the only eight fuel tanks on the moon,” replied Werner. He took one side of Hans’ stretcher and Ayla (whose arm was by now functional if not fully healed) took the other. They started walking back to the bridge, to begin work for the day.

“We’re going to have to keep two guards out during the day to guard both the bridge and the camp,” groaned Menken. “That means double the days each of us has to guard.”

“No,” said Werner. “I don’t think any of us could realistically keep that schedule. We’d be awake more days than we’d be asleep. I’ll have to entrust more people with guard duty, and hope they’re up to it.”

“Just not Kixoo,” growled Brut. “Whiny, always complaining, and wasn’t even part of the rebellion. If anyone would betray the colony, it’d be him.”

“Kixoo was actually the first person I thought of to promote. He’s the fittest man who isn’t already in the guard cycle.”

“And so long as the other guards stays close to the food supply, we’ll still have breakfast come wake-up!” joked Menken.

They made good progress for the day, and the one after that. Finally, Hans announced with delight that they were one day’s work away from completing the Einstein-Rosen Bridge.

“We’re almost done! Soon we’ll be off this rock and traveling back to Earth!” Hans beamed excitedly.

Werner nodded sleepily. He’d been on guard duty for the last two days in a row. He knew on such an important night, he really should stay awake and stand guard, but he didn’t trust himself to stay awake.

It was the first night that Kixoo was in line to stand guard. He was supposed to be the one who guarded the bridge.

Werner took him aside beforehand. “Kixoo, I’m going to ask honestly: are you the one who attempted to sabotage the bridge?”

Kixoo looked surprised. “Me? Of course not!” There was none of the fidgeting or the lip-quivering from when he raided the food cabinet. Werner took this as enough evidence to trust him.

“Okay. Remember, as bridge guard, you get the gun. If anyone approaches, keep the gun ready, but do not shoot unless they act hostile. Determine what they’re doing there, and bring them to me if there’s any trouble. No falling asleep, no mistakes, and if you succeed, you’ll be the first through the bridge come night. Do you understand?”

Kixoo nodded. “You can count on me.”

Werner started walking back to camp. He came across Brut, who was designated camp guard for the night.

“I still don’t think we should leave him guarding the bridge,” grumbled Brut. “You sure you don’t want me to switch places with him?”

Werner shook his head. “Anyone who wants to get to the bridge will have to sneak past you first. Kixoo is more of a second resort.”

Werner yawned. “But I do want you to check on Kixoo about halfway through the day. Before the noon heat. See if he’s fallen asleep or is trying anything.”

Brut nodded. “Whatever you say, leader.”

Werner wandered back to his hut and lay down, hoping to fall asleep before sunlight started peeking through the holes in the woven roof. But the minutes crept past, and soon light filtered through the cracks. Werner sighed. His brain was too active.

He was trying to determine who the saboteur could be. He didn’t think it was Kixoo or Seska, or any of their group. They had always been open with their complaints and had never hesitated to let him know any time they disagreed with his decisions.

Plus they’d have to get past Brut, who was one of Werner’s strongest and bravest men. Brut had volunteered to do guard duty tonight, the first time anyone had done so. He was the best shots in the colony…

Werner suddenly sat up straight. If Brut was his bravest men, why did he run when the Sapaar attacked? And in space, when the Sapaar had bombed them, Brut was one of the two men who could have been responsible for the retaliatory explosives missing the Sapaar ship. Plus he’d led the team that found their first rock outcropping, an outcropping surprisingly close to the Sapaar…

As he thought this, he heard gunshots in the distance. Leaping out of his tent, he ran at a full-out sprint for the bridge.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like this chapter. You are pretty good at making suspense  but somehow something is missing.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Well, it took a really, really long time to reach this point, but this is the penultimate post! This story is almost done!

Werner rolled Kixoo over. He had a bad cut across the back of his head. After some encouragement, Kixoo started coughing, and shaking his head, trying to clear it.

“What happened? Where’s Brut?”

Kixoo tried to talk but the words didn’t make any sense. He had a bad concussion, and possibly damage to the Broca’s area of his brain. But Werner could guess what happened.

“Stop talking, and get back to the colony,” he ordered Kixoo. Getting to his feet, he grabbed a heavy metal rod and took off after Brut.

He was lucky there was a fuel trail, because for some reason the ground was much more moist than usual, a couple steps away from quicksand.

The next sign that something was wrong came when Werner realized it was thirty minutes past noon, and the noon heat had never arrived.

He came across the gun rather quickly. Brut had apparently had problems carrying the gun and the fuel canister. Werner swapped his metal rod out for the gun, but quickly noted that gun was out of ammunition.

Later he came across the fuel canister. It wasn’t completely drained, but there was little he could do with it now. By this point, the footsteps had been almost completely absorbed back into the ground. Not willing to give up now, Werner continued in the same direction Brut had been going.

After a while, the sand grew muddy rather than soupy, and Werner was relieved to see he had successfully followed Brut’s trail.

The trail went past a set of boulders and a small mountain in the distance with a large cave. Werner wondered why Brut hadn’t gone there.

The trail randomly stopped at a seemingly arbitrary point in the desert. Werner blinked, stared at the nothingness around him, and wondered what to do next.

It was a few minutes before he realized he’d been tricked. Brut had double-backed, keeping in his own footsteps, and Werner was positive he’d hid in the rock cropping when Werner went by, and then headed for that cave.

Sure enough, when he doubled back a new set of footprints led from the boulders to the cave. Gritting his teeth, Werner walked into the cave.

It was quiet and dank. Werner kept his gun at the ready, despite the fact that his opponent should be unarmed.

He cast his eyes side to side. He didn’t see Brut, but then, he couldn’t see much of anything.

A whack to the back of the head, and he saw stars. The gun was kicked out of his hand, and Werner went skidding across the cave floor.

As his vision cleared, Werner saw a large figure silhouetted in the light of the cave mouth, bearing down on him. He held a sharp jagged rock in his hand.

Werner rolled to the left and the rock dashed the part where his head used to be, sending off sparks. Werner kicked him in the shin, giving him just enough time to dive out of cover of the swinging knife.

Spotting a glint in the corner of the cave, Werner took a running sprint and, with Brut on his tail, grasped the rifle off the ground. Pivoting, Werner blocked the stabbing knife with the rifle, then crashed the rifle butt against his attacker’s skull.

Brut cried out, and doubled his attack. Werner dodged a stab, then flipped the knife out of Brut’s hand. Snatching the knife out of the air, Werner buried it in Brut’s chest.

There was a sharp intake of breath, and Brut collapsed to the floor. Panting heavily, Werner retreated to a safe distance.

Brut tried to get up but failed. He put his hand to his chest and drew it back covered in blood. Rasping heavily, Brut continued to lie on his back, eyes open.

Werner caught his breath. “Why’d you do it, Brut? You were one of my most trusted lieutenants.”

“No, I wasn’t,” he shook his head weakly. “I’m a spy. I’d been a spy since before Gaman blew up.”

Werner moved forward. “But after Gaman blew up? We were all you had. I would have forgiven you, you know that. Why would you continue to work against us?”

“I don’t know,” Brut coughed up blood. “Old habits die hard, I guess. I’ve been in contact with the Sapaar since our first scouting party spotted them on the horizon. They’re actually not far from here. At the time I convinced the others it was just another bundle of rocks. But during a break, I talked to the Sapaar, told them everything, and they told me where the Gaman should make camp. I spread the seeds to make it even more enticing, they knew they’d get them back soon enough…” His voice was fading. He wasn’t going to last long.

Werner looked outside. It was dark, even though it was noon. “I have to check something outside.”

Werner walked outside. For the first time, he saw clouds. They were emanating from somewhere hidden by the cave. Werner climbed up the caveside, and glimpsed the storm.

It was large; angry black clouds swirled from the heavens to the horizon. It was coming this way. It would hit this cave first, then the camps of the Gamanians and Sapaar.

Werner climbed back into the cave. “There’s a terrible storm heading this way. It might be a result of atmospheric changes caused by Gaman’s destruction. I don’t know what we’re going to do.” He handed Brut some grass he’d picked from the cave top.

Brut tried to eat. “Werner? You know I’m a traitor, you know I’m dying, you have an excellent reason to leave. Why do you stay?”

Werner shrugged. “No one deserves to die alone.”

Brut was silent. “I do.” He coughed up the grass he’d managed to choke down. He was deathly pale. “I betrayed us. I betrayed you.”

He was silent for a time. “I think I betrayed you because I realized you were doomed from the start. You were a good leader, but you had too many mouths to feed, too little supplies, and the Sapaar were devious. They would never compromise, never accept anything but your defeat. You shouldn’t have tried to ally with them.”

Brut was barely breathing. He summoned his remaining strength, and tilted his head to look at Werner. “There’s a reason I fled after disabling the bridge. It was a double strike. The Sapaar were hiding behind the nearest dunes. Once they heard the gunshots, that was their cue to siege the colony and capture the bridge for themselves. They’d then use the fuel from one of their own shuttles to power the bridge.”

Werner’s blood grew cold. He immediately bolted from the cave.

He knew he’d never make it in time. He was too far away. Unless…

There. Just like Brut said, the Sapaar camp stood in the distance. Werner set off immediately.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
And another story concludes. I'm pretty sure this is the end of the Gaman chronicles, but who knows? I never explained what happened to Snow, Hawkeye and Neku ;P

This one's longer than my other updates, but I think that's okay, seeing as how its the finale.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, back at the bridge, Trano slapped Hans across the face. “The address! What was the address you were going to enter?”

Hans glared silently back. The wind had picked up and the sky was black. He and Trano stood in front of the bridge. Some way away, the other Gamanians were herded into a large circle, and the remaining Sapaar held them at gunpoint. They had all arrived in one of their shuttlecraft, which was still sitting nearby, surrounded by the Sapaar women.

Hans spat at Trano. “The bridge isn’t finished yet! Even if you wanted to go through, it still has several days of work on it!”

It was a bluff, and Trano saw right through it. “If that’s the case, then give me the address and let me try it! No harm in trying if you’re so sure it won’t work!”

Hans glared, and conceded. “The bridge is finished; all I was going to add are safety features and a power dampener to be safe. You could theoretically go through the bridge right now. But I won’t give you the address! Not without Werner!”

Trano snarled. “Fine. We’ll do this the hard way.” He signaled two of his men. They crossed to the Gamanian huts, which had been pushed together to form a ring around the trapped settlers. They returned with a struggling Ayla.

Hans’ eyes went wide.

Trano pushed his rifle to her temple. “The address. Now.”

Hans couldn’t believe it. “B-But when Werner had two of your men captured, he respected them and gave them back unharmed!”

“Well, I’m not Werner.” Trano’s eyes narrowed and he tightened his grip on the trigger.

Hans closed his eyes and looked away. “I’m sorry…” he began, but suddenly another roar was heard, louder than the coming storm.

The final Sapaar shuttlecraft rocketed past them, strafing the holding pit and sending the guards scattering; it smashed through the front wall of blockading huts, and Werner dove out. Throwing two handfuls of staffs and rifles into the crowd, Werner shouted, “Come on, Gaman! Let’s take the bridge!”

A cheer rose up from the liberated people, and as one they charged the Sapaar.

The stunned Sapaar reacted almost immediately, and they had barely breached the huts when they were set upon. By the time Werner punched his way through the lines, some intense hand-to-hand combat was going on around the bridge.

Trano pointed his rifle at Werner, but Ayla slashed him viciously across the face and started biting his neck.

Werner beat the staff away from the first guard and collapsed the other with a hard swipe across the shins. He then smashed the first guard over the head with the staff. He then turned to the bridge.

To his horror, Werner saw that Hans had forced his way off the stretcher and dragged himself to the control panel. Finishing inputting the address, he punched the activation button and the gate flared to life in a brilliant flash of blue light.

“Hans! We can’t get everyone through the bridge in time!”

The flash interrupted the fighting, and everyone had turned to look at the people in front of the bridge, silhouetted in the bright blue light.

“Can you shut it down?” asked Werner. He stared mesmerized by the wash of brilliant color. Just a few steps and he’d be safe on Earth…

Hans shook his head. He, like the others, couldn’t stop staring at the bridge. “There are ten seconds left.”

“We could go,” said Ayla quietly. "The three of us." She let Trano fall to the ground silently, and then helped Hans to his feet.

Werner wanted to go. He unwittingly took a step forward. An end to the hunger, to the hardship, to the conflict. He thought of those on the other side. James, Shelton, Hawkeye…

He shook his head. “No,” he said. “I’m the leader of Gaman. They need me.”

Hans bowed his head and moved to stand by Werner’s side. “So be it.”

The bridge flickered and went out.

Everyone was silent. The wind whistled through the desert. Werner turned to the collective.

“So that’s it, then. None of us get the bridge. Had we worked together, we might have. We’ll never know.”

He raised his voice, as the wind was picking up. “I’m as guilty as any of you. At the crucial moment, I got caught up in my emotions, and forgot my pledge that I would make the Gamanians and Sapaar allies. I made a mistake, as much as anybody else.

“But now you see how pointless this fighting was! It’s hard enough to survive on this barren rock without both sides doing everything in their power to destroy each other!”

He motioned to the atmosphere around him. “This storm is going to destroy this campsite, and I only know of one place where we might be safe. But we have only minutes to get there, and frankly, I don’t think that’s enough time. But I am going to try, and I want to know: who’s willing to put their differences aside and join me? Because everyone who comes with me will be one united group, and you have to be okay with that!”

Nobody said everything. The wind was whipping Werner’s clothes violently around himself.

Then two Sapaar stepped forward and saluted him. Werner recognized them as the shuttle guards he’d saved back on the planet. Behind them, Seska and Menken stepped in line, along with several other Gamanians. Several Sapaar followed the lead of the two guards. Soon the entire group  had filed into two lines, all watching and waiting for Werner’s next move.

Werner glanced at Trano, who averted his eyes, in a clear sign of submission. That was good enough for him. Grabbing one of the fallen Sapaar guards, he carried him to his shuttlecraft. He heard Trano carrying the other, and Ayla helping Hans. The rest of the Gaman and Sapaar filed in behind them. There was just enough room to fit everyone in the shuttle, which was rocking from the force of the wind hitting it.

Werner took the shuttle off and shot away from the campsite. Strafing the storm, he saw to his dismay that Brut’s cave was already eclipsed by the storm. “Buckle up, people,” he announced over the intercom, and plunged into the storm.

Rain and torrential winds battered the ship on all sides. Werner struggled with the controls to keep the shuttle flying straight. He was making fast course changes in his head, trying to figure out where the cave was in respect to them. Neither the sensors nor the windscreen will be much help now.

“Werner? Where are we trying to--?” started Hans.

“Shh! I need to think!” Werner snapped. He rotated the ship four degrees and tilted to the left. He thought he was going the right way.

He discovered he was right two minutes later, when his ship rubbed abrasively against the side of the mountain with the giant cave. Backing up slightly, Werner hugged the mountainside, tucked his ship into the cave, and killed the engine.

The surviving passengers filed out of the shuttle, looked at the walls around them, and then backwards at the horrible storm raging outside.

“Will we get a chance to build a bridge again?” asked Seska.

“No,” Hans replied. “The storm will surely destroy the old one, and I need more than one shuttle. Plus we do not have enough fuel to activate the passage all the way to Earth even if we could build one.”

“We’ll still know how to make it, and the address,” noted Trano.

Hans nodded. “Who knows? Once our descendants become technologically advanced enough, they may make contact with Earth someday.”

“Something to look forward to,” smiled Werner.

Trano looked at Werner. “When the storm abates, we’ll start building underground complexes to live in.”

Werner nodded. “And we’ll start gardens and see what food we can grow.”

Trano nodded and walked off.

Werner heard a noise behind him. Turning around, he saw Menken carving what appeared to be a ëV’ into the cave wall.

Menken saw him looking. “I’m carving my nomination for the name of our new colony. I figured that we can’t really call it “Gaman” or “Sapaar.”

Werner cocked his head. “V?”

“Verner.”

Werner understood, and grinned. He’ll probably have to try and convince Menken to pick something else, but he had a feeling the name might stick. Oh well.

Werner turned back to stare at the storm. Despite the situation, he felt at peace. There were still problems in the near future, but they were few enough that he felt with everyone’s help he could handle them.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Awesome ending!

I never expected this ending kind of a "new world" setting.

I assume Ayla is some sort of lizard or maybe a feline?