The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

An interesting idea on LBT 11

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Years ago, the Friendly Sharptooth gave an interesting idea about LBT 11 in his discussion about how the kids in the movies are generally smarter than the adults.

In movie number eleven, things went right back to the role confusion. Why, oh why, couldn’t you keep things right when you had them that way? Oh well. What’s done is done. Let’s take a look at the damages. Hm, not much to really say about this one. The kids accepted the tinysauruses while the adults feared them and wanted to drive them away. The kids were like John Smith from Disney’s Pocahontas, the tinysauruses were the Indians, and the adults were the other white men. Both groups could not accept the other on equal terms and wanted to be as far away from each other as possible. The white men (the LBT grownups) wanted to drive away the Indians (the tinysauruses) while John Smith (the kids) found peace with both sides at once. Whoa, hold the phone. This isn’t LIKE the Pocahontas movie. It IS the Pocahontas movie. The savages song from Pocahontas is just like the creepy crawlies song from the LBT movie. I can just see the director, trying to think of a plot for movie eleven, then his little daughter tugs on his pants and asks him to watch a movie with her. He refuses for days, then finally accepts, having found no ideas. As he watches Pocahontas, his eyes lights up, and he calls the writer team up. Sadly, the father never finishes the movie with his daughter. I mean, seriously, the plot theme was just like that Disney movie, although they kept the original formula of the kids being superior in intellect to the adults. The movie downright mocks adults. One chases her tail, and one gets stuck. This just piles on the incompetent notion of adults to young viewers, and also shows them that adults look for trouble while it’s the kids that want peace with things. Another example of the bad role reversal of adults and kids, and to make things worse, the plot isn’t even original. Okay, I stand corrected. There really IS a lot to say about this one- sadly.

What an interesting observation. I remember people were saying the exact same thing about "Avatar" when it came out, but that movie was un-disneyish enough that a mature adult could enjoy it.

Pochahantas has never been a movie I've been fond of, but assuming this story was true, this gives me a reason to really dislike it for being one of the last nails in the coffin of the LBT franchise.

On the other hand, it did end up bringing back the subject of racism, which had all but disapeared ages ago, after the departure of Roy Allan Smith. And this wouldn't be the first time LBT had really ripped off a film storyline. Marzgurl mentioned a similar case in one of her reviews (man, I love her and her reviews.)  :wub

Anyways, good job on the analyzation, Friendly Sharptooth. (I gave you credit for it during my first year here, as you probably saw).

BTW, I wonder if Charles Grosvenor even has a daughter. Or if he even comes up with the ideas for the film's storylines.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Meh, in the end, many stories are just rip-offs of other stories right xD? It's probably just when plot devices match up in such an order that they appear familiar to many.

I had made a LBT 11 topic last year, you might be interested; I might've changed a few things by now (looking back and realizing some mistakes, like that I said only one song had parents singing in it) but lol http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...topic=12947&hl=

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nice observations :) Whether I believe them is a different story though :p Too much theoretical facts and, after all, it could've been sheer coincidence. Who knows...
Inactive, probably forever.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jun 14 2014 on  03:45 AM
Nice observations :) Whether I believe them is a different story though :p Too much theoretical facts and, after all, it could've been sheer coincidence. Who knows...
Well I tried to think theoretically because I imagined that someone might see something just once in the film and make assumptions off of it forgetting what they even got mad about in the first place (sounds like Petrie on LBT 11 lol). So I went a lil far out there lol :) :lol

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^was referring to Bruton, not to your thread :p

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jun 14 2014 on  12:06 PM
^was referring to Bruton, not to your thread :p
It actually crossed my mind that you might've been referring to Bruton's post xD but I was like "meh see what happens"  :lol

SkyColor-TreeSweets

• Ruby
    • View Profile
On the other hand, it did end up bringing back the subject of racism, which had all but disapeared ages ago, after the departure of Roy Allan Smith.

That's not really true. LBT 5 also touched upon the subject of racism (or specieism) a bit in regards to the prejudices the gang had about sharpteeth. Also, while it was less obvious, I do believe in LBT 8 Tippy's mother seemed somewhat bothered at first by Spike living with an adopted family of a different species.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^True. LBT 5 had the subject of specieism though not nearly as distinct as the original or LBT 4. If you read between the lines of Tippy's Mother and consider how she reacts, then you will notice that she, while not showing it openly, doesn't really approve of Spike living with a family not of his own kind (although she does approve that they took him for the sake of not being completely on his own). She's trying to pull Spike away from his "foster family" and "adopt" him herself. Well, of course there's no bad will in her, only instinct and education making her act the way she did.
LBT 6 has a fairly good example too, Topsy plotting against the Longnecks.
LBT 7 has a bit of a anti-specieism thing since we see the mixed herd and otherwise no specieistic events. Though Petrie's and Cera's argument at the beginning takes on the question, whether flyers are best or not :smile
In LBT 9 the adults are being specieists towards the creatures in the new water. Though Grandpa has a view that is clearly not specieistic. "In a world so full of life you're only as alone as you choose to be." Besides, the Longneck mother doesn't mind the others either, nor do Moe's water kin.
LBT 10 doesn't have any speciesm I think. Only old Longneck stories and a statemenr of Bron that might be considered as such ("Sharpteeth are cowards." --> prejudices. The Sharptooth from the Original clearly wasn't)
LBT 11 again has a lot of it. The tiny Longnecks are being discriminated against and neither Topsy nor Big Daddy see reason until late in the end.
In LBT 12 only Petrie's siblings show speciesm to a certain degree (though it might as well just  bullying of Guido :angel)
LBT 13 is free of it (except they think very low of the Yellowbellies because they're so dumb :smile)
The Tv-series doesn't have much of it I believe...

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
You could literally compare this to LBT 6 with the Long Stranger...the plot may have been different to that actual story, itself, but the concept of having a copy off story to use in the Land Before Time is still present.  I guess LBT 11 just was another one of those things where they were running out of ideas and needed another plot to keep continuing.  Or, that was merely coincidental.  Either way, it's not uncommon.

SkyColor-TreeSweets

• Ruby
    • View Profile
@ Ducky123 Yes I think speciesism is present all throughout the series whether it is a part of the main plot of each individual movie or not. I would say this is more realistic because in real life it can be hard to stamp out racism and we still have not totally gotten rid of it yet although we have made great progress, which is the same as in the world of the LBT movies too.