The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What Makes the Sequels Good?

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 16 2016 on  03:46 PM
I do like both digital and traditional animation. I think both can be done quite well.

Also, I'd have to disagree with you, Bruton, about Disney being "sappy and kiddy", personally. If you look deep enough, there's a number of things in Disney that is a bit dark for something that is "kiddy".
That doesn't make up for how kiddish they are...

BTW, Petrie, amazing job. But the look of movies 2-4 still clearly wins, IMO. Maybe I'll collect some screenshots I love from them and if you want, you can make a video with them!  :smile

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TabalugaDragon
well to me the look of those moves clearly loses...
the only movie which seems superiour to the movies since 7-th one is the original
first movies do have some beautiful things, but not nearly as beautiful as the ones from later sequels

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie157578641,Jan 16 2016 on  08:54 PM
well to me the look of those moves clearly loses...
the only movie which seems superiour to the movies since 7-th one is the original
first movies do have some beautiful things, but not nearly as beautiful as the ones from later sequels
What? The animation of the old sequels is closer to the original film than anything 7 and onward.

I mean, I was just watching the intro to 10 and it looked like a video game.

I'm sorry, it's just that I find the art of 2-4 to be true art, and saying the animation of 2-4 sucks calling 7-14 better and more on par with the original makes me feel...wrong for loving it all this time, if you know what I mean.  :neutral

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
You don't have to feel bad for loving the older animation. Another person expressing a different opinion does not invalidate yours in anyway. Everyone is going to feel differently about any topic, and animation is no exception.

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Bruton the Iguanodon I never said animation of the newer sequels is closer to original in style. I meant the overall quality. I meant that the first sequels tried keeping the original style but in my opinion they mostly failed due to lower budget. While since 7-th on the other hand, the animation, while changed in style was better in quality
also you speaking about LBT 10 opening as if it was the whole movie. but in reality it was just a little part of it and you shoudn't judge the whole movie animation by a small part of it

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie157578641,Jan 16 2016 on  11:02 PM
Bruton the Iguanodon I never said animation of the newer sequels is closer to original in style. I meant the overall quality. I meant that the first sequels tried keeping the original style but in my opinion they mostly failed due to lower budget. While since 7-th on the other hand, the animation, while changed in style was better in quality
also you speaking about LBT 10 opening as if it was the whole movie. but in reality it was just a little part of it and you shoudn't judge the whole movie animation by a small part of it
OK, I'm sorry. It's just, for a supposedly low budget, LBT 2-4 did a pretty awesome job. Better than any Disney movies at the time, IMO.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yea gotta admit despite great keyframe animations on LBT 2-6, we did get quite 'cheaped out' with things like scenes in the "On Your Own Song"

Basically there was a lot of good standing out in the early sequels and a lot of TV-show-of-the-time stuff

edit: oops your post came before mine

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie157578641,Jan 16 2016 on  03:54 PM
not sure the link works but I made this vid long ago to demonstrate how beautiful LBT sequels(since 7-th movie) were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hIB0Oyf2hY
I really don't understand how can someone not like this animation. I think it's among the greatest animations in history
I think the animation of 2-4 was one of the greatest animations in history though, so I don't understand...why is there not a similar video for it?   :neutral

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I don't think animation means what you think it means xD

animation is the frame by frame work of motion and expression, not the colors, style, backgrounds, sound, etc.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ludichris1,Jan 17 2016 on  05:03 PM

animation is the frame by frame work of motion and expression, not the colors, style, backgrounds, sound, etc.
The point is, the early sequels are just beautiful, and it hurts to see people saying the exact same thing about the later ones, because it makes me feel silly for liking the old ones, even though I truly do and can't express how much I do, while those who love the later ones can. :neutral

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 18 2016 on  12:43 AM

The point is, the early sequels are just beautiful, and it hurts to see people saying the exact same thing about the later ones, because it makes me feel silly for liking the old ones, even though I truly do and can't express how much I do, while those who love the later ones can. :neutral
Seriously, that is just your opinion. You don't have to feel hurt every time you see someone praising the animation quality of the later sequels because, really, what other people say is not the law of the land.

I for one think the animation for ALL of the sequels is amazing because, in the end, they're just dinosaur movies, and that's usually what I look for, first and foremost.

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon1,Jan 17 2016 on  05:03 PM

I think the animation of 2-4 was one of the greatest animations in history though, so I don't understand...why is there not a similar video for it?

because I don't find animation in the first sequels nearly as beautiful. There is almost nothing there I could, for example, make a screenshot of and set as my desktop backgroud. the artwork in the later sequels is simply stunning for me.
and the reason why I made that video was not to offend those who like the animation in the first sequels(I like that animation too, just not as much as the later ones), but just to demonstrate how much animation evolved FOR THOSE who only saw the first sequels and is unaware of the beautty of the later ones. My point is - all people know that the first sequels try to copy the style of the first movie, but most of people don't know about the later ones. I made that video for those people

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile

and it hurts me to see someone saying that the animators of the first sequels knew what they were doing, meaning that the animators of the later ones didn't. it's liek you generally saying that animation in later sequels is bad. and you think it doesn't hurt me to read such messages as a fan of the later sequels animation?

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I coulda sworn their characters designs and color schemes were different in the earlier sequels
and level of detail considering shading

which would give it a very stylized look to go with the especially conceptual painterly backgrounds

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie157578641,Jan 18 2016 on  06:59 AM

and it hurts me to see someone saying that the animators of the first sequels knew what they were doing, meaning that the animators of the later ones didn't. it's liek you generally saying that animation in later sequels is bad. and you think it doesn't hurt me to read such messages as a fan of the later sequels animation?
I'm sorry, it's just...I've had the opinion in my head for years how beautiful the early sequels are. Better than most Disney stuff. And I feel if the 7-13 movies get a screenshot video, 2-4 definitely deserve one as well, but I can't make it, and now I'm confused about my opinion.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 18 2016 on  01:43 AM
You do not have to feel bad about liking the older animation. That's perfectly fine if you do. Nobody here said that you can't prefer the older animation. You're more than welcome to believe that the older movies did a better job than the newer ones in terms of animation.

At what point were you told that you couldn't express it? Absolutely no one here has tried to shut you down about your opinion or tell you that you were wrong. Someone saying that they prefer the new animation and don't regard the old animation as good is not the same as saying "you're not allowed to believe different". You were reminded that it was just an opinion, not fact, and that's true. That isn't a means of putting you down; it's just a way of telling you that everyone is free to think what they want, so long as they don't attack others for thinking differently.

In the end, remember that your thoughts and feelings on the films is just opinion and not fact. This means that no one has to agree with you. Some people might share some of your views. But don't expect everyone to agree. Likewise, you shouldn't feel ashamed if you feel something like the older movies had better quality animation, and if someone disagrees and prefers the newer animation, you should respect that. You can discuss the topic with them; just don't try to force them to agree with you.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 18 2016 on  12:53 PM
You do not have to feel bad about liking the older animation. That's perfectly fine if you do. Nobody here said that you can't prefer the older animation. You're more than welcome to believe that the older movies did a better job than the newer ones in terms of animation.

At what point were you told that you couldn't express it? Absolutely no one here has tried to shut you down about your opinion or tell you that you were wrong. Someone saying that they prefer the new animation and don't regard the old animation as good is not the same as saying "you're not allowed to believe different". You were reminded that it was just an opinion, not fact, and that's true. That isn't a means of putting you down; it's just a way of telling you that everyone is free to think what they want, so long as they don't attack others for thinking differently.

In the end, remember that your thoughts and feelings on the films is just opinion and not fact. This means that no one has to agree with you. Some people might share some of your views. But don't expect everyone to agree. Likewise, you shouldn't feel ashamed if you feel something like the older movies had better quality animation, and if someone disagrees and prefers the newer animation, you should respect that. You can discuss the topic with them; just don't try to force them to agree with you.
Thank you. I'm sorry about all that.  :neutral

I admit I do have some issues with my opinions. I sometimes take what others think about things as what I should agree with. I guess because sometimes I'm not sure, and also because when they do have the same opinion as me, it makes me feel good.

I was just seeing my therapist and we sort of discussed this a little, and she basically told me the same thing.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 18 2016 on  04:02 PM

I admit I do have some issues with my opinions. I sometimes take what others think about things as what I should agree with. I guess because sometimes I'm not sure, and also because when they do have the same opinion as me, it makes me feel good.

I was just seeing my therapist and we sort of discussed this a little, and she basically told me the same thing.
I'm glad to see that was settled. :D

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dr. Rex,Jan 18 2016 on  06:34 PM
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 18 2016 on  04:02 PM

I'm glad to see that was settled. :D
I would like to make a video collage of the best 2-4 screenshots, though. Unfortunately, I don't know how.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oh whoops. VIDEO collage xD
I'm dumb
Well here's my older posting

There's various collage makers online, although might be hard to find a good one.
Perhaps use an online program like pixlr, make a big enough canvas, load up images and move em around.

Take screens with windows default Snipping Tool of the videos/DVDs

edit: i'd start with a really big canvas. when you load the images, i think you have to rectangle seelect them, edit copy, then paste them onto the canvas