The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Something that bugs me in Shrek2

Petrie · 35 · 5515

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Come the end when the Fairy Godmother shouts "Ogres don't live happily ever after" and then fires the beam of light from her wand, the king blocks the beam and the power actually destroys the Fairy Godmother as we know her.  But it didn't kill the King (just took away his 'happily ever after') so what harm would it really have done Shrek and Fiona if it had hit them?  Wouldn't they just be ogres again?  :unsure:

I think I intrepret these things way too seriously.  :lol

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
I liked the music video of Puss in boots song. Boots made for walking. It was cool!

-Threehorn

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It was pretty funny. Athough the singing attempts by the actors in Far Far Away Idol made my ears hurt, they were so bad.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Perhaps the fairy's attack would've made Shrek an Ogre and Fiona a human ever on?
What I liked about Shrek 2 were the countless allusions to other movies. Did you realize that the tower Shrek and the others were imprisoned in was the tower of Cirith Ungol from ROTK? It was but only one of many LOTR allusions in Shrek. The others were more obvious. And of course LOTR was only one out of many movies they made fun of.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes I noticed that. The Little Mermaid, the Hollywood sign, and other things were panned.
nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Spiderman is another example. I think there was more than one allusion to it, though the only one that comes to my mind right now is Fiona kissing Shrek while he is hanging upside down from a tree.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes that was an obvious one. I hear there's going to be a Shrek 3.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Strange how Malte is the only one who attempted to answer the question I posed.  :rolleyes:

There are lists of things that they pun on...my favorite has to be when Gingy and the giant gingerbread man grab the plastic "Farbucks" coffee cup and he's upset when it's empty.  :lol   That's me all over again.  :D

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I also have a problem with "Shrek 2". It was intended for children, and yet I never heard one child laugh in the course of "Shrek 2", all the adults were, though. Why? Oh, because they turned it to adult humor, that's why?

"I'm wearing lady's underwear!" and "Its a thong!"(Snap!) were totally unnecessary.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Inl?-rah

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/inle-rah
I wasn't really bothered by that scene, but nor did it make me laugh as much as some of the others.  I like this movie just as much as Shrek, if not more so(I've heard there will be two more Shrek films).  Shrek was also infused with adult humor(Shrek: "Do you think maybe he's compensating for something?"), thus the style of the second didn't bother me.

Puss in Boots is definitely my favorite character from Shrek 2, Dragon is my fave from Shrek.  I love Donkey too, in both movies, he's so funny! :lol:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think if you went into Shrek 2, WR, hoping you'd see a children's film, you're mistaken, and likely to be dissapointed.  The first film had a lot of adult humor as well...and it worked well, so why take that away?

Puss stole the show, and this line was what gave it to him (when he was talking to Donkey): "You still look like an ass to me."  :lol

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ha ha Good one Arvens.Yes, there was a lot of adult humor in Shrek 2, which went right over the heads of the kids. A film better suited towards kids is Spongebob Squarepants(yes I have seen it).
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You don't know how frequently the word Arvens mentions causes delight in our Anglism classes.
Yesterday one professor read out a line from Shakespeare's "The taming of the Shrew". The line reads:

She is my goods, my chattels, she is my house,
My household stuff, my field, my barn,
My horse, my ox, my ass, my any thing,
And here she stands.

The professor deliberately left out the "ass" part, as he was perfectly aware that it would cause laughter in the room.
Anyway, I sure agree that Shreek is not a movie made just for kids. The kids won't even get most of the allusions from the movies or "dirty" jokes. I think it is an attempt to make an animation movie interesting for all age groups, and in this I think it succeeded. I can't say that I was annoyed about any of the movie's jokes.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Neither can I. I got the jokes, and I howled at the Cross-Dressing part.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
These boots made for walking!

can't get the tone out of my head so I had to put this up  :lol

-Threehorn

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That song is also featured in the first Austin Powers film, when the Vembots try to seduce Austin.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, all I know is that there were a number of children laughing over the course of the original but none laughing at the sequel and there were parts that were totally unneeded in order for the film to be funny.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
On the contrary, Drew, there were parts of the films that lagged, so they hads to put those parts in to make up for it.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think Bil Cosby proves that you can be funny without being crude, which is what they should have tried. Its sad, if the humor does not include sexual references, at least a little swearing, and bodily functions, its not interesting to adults. I find that to be complete bullshit.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ Ah hmmm, please refrain from the s word on this board, at least in the public areas. ;)  I don't care if you say it in After Midnight, but not out here.

Well, I'm sure you've heard the saying "Sex sells" and indeed it does.  Agreed though, a film can be great without it.  If you want to blame it on anything, you can blame it on the hormones raging inside ones body.