The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Bugs Life

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I really love this movie for some reason. I liked the plot of it all. The characters were interesting, it had good humorous parts. My favorite characters would have to be Flick, Dot, Hemlich, Rosie, Atta, Slim, and Francis.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Ahh, I had an obsession for a while. My favorite characters (and couple) were Manny and Gypsie. I just loved them :wub: ! But Hemlick was SO SWEET! "I'm finished! Finally I'm a beautiful butterfly!"  :wow

Yes, there was some great humor.
"NO! HARRY NO! DON'T LOOK AT THE LIGHT!"
"I can't help it! It's so beautiful!" *ZZZZZZAAAP*

I loved the theme. When I first saw the Cars preview, I got all excited that there would be a Bug's Life sequel. However, with some of the actors dead... :unsure: ...especally for Manny, Gypsie, and goodness me Hemlick  :(  !

I wrote a fanfic where Manny and Gypsie had twins...moth/mantis mix  :blink: ...okay...and in the same one, PT was reunited with his old girlfriend  :lol ! She was in a wacko dream I had where she was just there, and she had a dude voice, but it was a girl, and she was always wearing sunglasses...not to mention, she was a CRICKET! Aw, dang, I can't remember her name DX ! But Slim, Hemlick, Frances, Tuck, and Roll also found girlfriends (T&R met PT's girlfriend's pillbugs. They are white and Russian!)

The Mantis-moth twins were named Esmerelda and Archemedies. Then there were two others. I really did like Manny/Gypsie  :wow . Oh yeah! In the same fanfic there was a bat named Basil  :lol: He was so funny!

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Jun 22 2008 on  06:54 PM
I wrote a fanfic where Manny and Gypsie had twins...moth/mantis mix  :blink: ...okay...and in the same one, PT was reunited with his old girlfriend  :lol ! She was in a wacko dream I had where she was just there, and she had a dude voice, but it was a girl, and she was always wearing sunglasses...not to mention, she was a CRICKET! Aw, dang, I can't remember her name DX ! But Slim, Hemlick, Frances, Tuck, and Roll also found girlfriends (T&R met PT's girlfriend's pillbugs. They are white and Russian!)

The Mantis-moth twins were named Esmerelda and Archemedies. Then there were two others. I really did like Manny/Gypsie  :wow . Oh yeah! In the same fanfic there was a bat named Basil  :lol: He was so funny!
You have quite an imagination don't you? :DD

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I saw this movie and remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Yep, "A Bug's Life" is one of the best Disney/Pixar's 3D cartoon in my opinion. Not only the characters, but the whole world of bugs, shown in this movie looks nice and attractive. :yes

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rat_lady7,Jun 22 2008 on  09:00 PM
Quote from: Ptyra,Jun 22 2008 on  06:54 PM
I wrote a fanfic where Manny and Gypsie had twins...moth/mantis mix :blink: ...okay...and in the same one, PT was reunited with his old girlfriend :lol ! She was in a wacko dream I had where she was just there, and she had a dude voice, but it was a girl, and she was always wearing sunglasses...not to mention, she was a CRICKET! Aw, dang, I can't remember her name DX ! But Slim, Hemlick, Frances, Tuck, and Roll also found girlfriends (T&R met PT's girlfriend's pillbugs. They are white and Russian!)

The Mantis-moth twins were named Esmerelda and Archemedies. Then there were two others. I really did like Manny/Gypsie :wow . Oh yeah! In the same fanfic there was a bat named Basil :lol: He was so funny!
You have quite an imagination don't you? :DD
Yeeeeep. But my writing has improoved, so I'll figure out how to tweak it when I get the chance  :lol:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Besides Cars, this is the other Pixar film I did not enjoy.  Something seemed to be missing, and I can't put my finger on it.  I've seen it maybe three times...all many years ago.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ I really didn't like Cars either, Mater really got on my nerves. I did like the fact it was a tribute to McQueen, one of the former pixar people. :)

I'm having a marathon of these Pixar films, and I'm just in the process of watching A Bugs Life. I <3 in general, but Cars was really the only film I didn't care for.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I still giggle at some of my fanfictions I wrote in Elementary school X3 . Some of one was inspired by a dream. PT was reunited with his extremely tiny cricket girlfriend...who wore sunglasses. I later added that she had her own circus. AND HER NAME WAS AMANDA!!! Yesh, I remembered X3 . And she wore sunglasses because she was extremely sensitive to light!
I guess if I were to re-write it, I would just have Manny and Gypsy adopt a little moth and mantis.

Now that I think about it, Manny and Gypsy are probably the ONLY inter-species couple I actually like. Other than that, I'm like "W-T-F?!?!"...such as Petrie and Ducky...or Littlefoot and Cera (:x )

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
*double post*
Well. One of my plans of the summer is to double-package-watch Antz AND A Bug's Life on Youtube. I've seen both all the way (kinda), but what they heck?

I realize that ABL is far more "satisfying" for my inner child AND myself. To be honest, I'm not sure which one has the darker plot, or the worse villain. I mean, sure Hopper would legendary win on the surface and just by what he does...ick...but then we have Gen. Mandible who is so much more subtle...then again, he IS a stereotypical villain.

I do have my favorite characters in both...who also happen to be my favorite pairings. I've already said Manny and Gypsy (perhaps the one and only inter-species pairing I support XD ). But I've become weirdly fond of the wasp couple in Antz. Maybe it's because I'm so amused by "Cuddly Widdles"  :lol . (I am SOOOO greeting my boyfriend by that pet name  :wow !) But there's something else that amuses me about them. I don't know. Heck, I don't know with BOTH sets XD !

I'd like to do a crossover featuring them, as a type of "Are we missing out on something?" thing with all the biiiiig pairing wars out there/movie vs. movie wars.

As I said before, I had ideas with Manny and Gypsy having a family. Recently, I had an idea that Dr. Flora was raising a baby moth caterpillar a little while before the circus troop came back for a visit. And then Gypsy fell in love with the little guy and he wormed (lol) his way into the hearts of the rest of the troop...with PT being the very last to like him XD . I think that the adoption concept is so much sweeter than my last one, honestly :p

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I saw this movie once when I was seven years old.  My sister (she's not really, but I consider her to be my sister (the relationship is very complicated...beyond friendship and just complicated, but this is something for discussion in another topic)) had it.  I thought it was okay but I wasn't a big fan of it.  I though it had too many cliches even back when I was just a kid.  I don't really remember it anymore though and I'm certainly not going to buy or download it.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
Yay!! I'm currently obsessing with this movie and wanted to see if there was a topic on it!!

For a long time, Hopper's been my favorite character of the movie. He's one of the best disney villains in my opinion. When we decided to buy the movie on VHS long ago, I wanted the cover with Hopper on it, but unfortunately my parents went with my sister's wish and got the cover starring Dot. Oh, well! :D I was especially delighted to see a 3D A Bugs Life show in Disney World and it had Hopper in it! I was not disappointed.

Currently, Hopper's still strong in my list of Favorite villains, but he's increasingly becoming outranked by another antagonist in the movie: Thumper! I LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE that crazy grasshopper. I only recently began appreciating this underappreciated character and it's opened some questions for me: Why is Thumper the way he is? What made him so crazy? Why does he have such sharp teeth compared to the other grasshoppers? Is he even the same species as the rest of the Grasshoppers? Why can't he talk? And there's many more questions I have, I just can't remember them right now... :unsure:

Oh! And one more thing.... When Hopper said the line "You think this is a game?!....Well guess what: you just lost", was I the only one that lost the game? :lol

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I used to LOVE this movie! :wow

Wow, it's been so long I can hardly remember their names. I know some of the ants' name's like Flick and Dot, but the rest of the cast just escapes me.

Those grasshopper's were scary and awesome! Now that I think about it, they were actually pretty good villians. They scared the beejeebers out of me when I was younger though.  :DD

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I used to LOVE this movie! 

Wow, it's been so long I can hardly remember their names. I know some of the ants' name's like Flick and Dot, but the rest of the cast just escapes me.

I know, right? If you have the movie, I highly recommend watching it again! :D Mmmmmmm, that's some good nostalgia :lol

Those grasshopper's were scary and awesome! Now that I think about it, they were actually pretty good villians. They scared the beejeebers out of me when I was younger though.

I love the grasshoppers so much that I made a new banner of Thumper for my signature today!!  :DD

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Feb 18 2011 on  12:07 AM
For a long time, Hopper's been my favorite character of the movie. He's one of the best disney villains in my opinion. When we decided to buy the movie on VHS long ago, I wanted the cover with Hopper on it, but unfortunately my parents went with my sister's wish and got the cover starring Dot. Oh, well! :D I was especially delighted to see a 3D A Bugs Life show in Disney World and it had Hopper in it! I was not disappointed.

YES. A BUGS LIFE FAN. *high fives* :wow

I remember those VHS tapes, they had customized covers on each different character, I think I have it in storage. Now for me, I wanted Flik, I liked him over the other characters.

Currently, Hopper's still strong in my list of Favorite villains, but he's increasingly becoming outranked by another antagonist in the movie: Thumper! I LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE that crazy grasshopper. I only recently began appreciating this underappreciated character and it's opened some questions for me: Why is Thumper the way he is? What made him so crazy? Why does he have such sharp teeth compared to the other grasshoppers? Is he even the same species as the rest of the Grasshoppers? Why can't he talk? And there's many more questions I have, I just can't remember them right now... :unsure:

Hopper's kind of rubbing off on me too. Pixar always had a knack for developing interesting characters, including the villains. And I while one of my psychotic hatreds is when there are cliff hangers in a story that's "supposed" to be finished, I love the it allows a lot of room for fanfiction. :) :idea

Oh! And one more thing.... When Hopper said the line "You think this is a game?!....Well guess what: you just lost", was I the only one that lost the game? :lol

:D

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Hecks yeah, A Bugs Life is awesome!! *returns the high-five!*

I think customize covers were great ideas, so people can pick and choose which one and it makes buying it all the more satisfying. They should do it more often!! *imagines a WALL-E customized DVD cover starring AUTO* Yeah, definitely more often!! :D

Hopper's kind of rubbing off on me too. Pixar always had a knack for developing interesting characters, including the villains. And I while one of my psychotic hatreds is when there are cliff hangers in a story that's "supposed" to be finished, I love the it allows a lot of room for fanfiction. :)  :idea

I do wonder what happened to the grasshopper gang afterwards. And if you make a fanfic for A Bugs Life, I'd definitely read it!!

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Heh, with all this talk of the movie, I'm thinking about digging into the depths of my video collection and watching this again. Oh! I Remember I used to love that spider in there! She was awesome! :D

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A control-crazed nutjob who threatens to kill his own brother and uses children as bait (he used threatening Dot in order to get Flik's confession to the bird idea)...he's a crazya** who's right up there on the villian list with Malificent, Lady Tremaine, and Judge Claude Frollo IMO :!.

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I absolutely love this movie. I used to watch it when I was a kid several times since I got it for my birthday. I still have it on VHS Cassette around my house... somewhere. I even have the game for the N64, and it was really fun to play. My all-time favorite characters from the movie are:

Flik
P.T. Flea
Francis
Slim
Dim
Tuck & Roll
Manny
Heimlich

One of my favorite scenes from the movie was when Flik and the Cirus Bugs got chased by the bird through the canyon, and when Francis saved Dot.