The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How many sequels must LBT walk down?

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
According to sources LBT will go up to the 14th sequel. How do you feel about this? Do you think no 14 should be the last, or should there be more? Should Universal just bet on continous seasons for the TV series?
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I honestly think they should stop producing LBT sequels. All Universal is doing is trying to milk as much money out of the franchise as possible, and to do that they produce sequels. I didn't mind the first couple, but started to lose interest by the 6th or 7th. I think the sequels are doing more harm than good in the LBT franchise. The number of sequels are also most likely the reason why the quality of LBT started to go down starting at the 5th movie, and also why LBT is not as popular as it once was during the early sequels.

And about the TV series, I think that came a little too late for LBT. Universal should have produced the TV series in the mid 90s when the movies were popular, at least according to what my dad says. He doesn't understand why Universal waited until this year to release a TV series.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Where did you find out that the series will stop with movie fourteen? (XIV.) We're already at movie # 12. Does this mean the "end times" are near? With the TV series, it seems as if the francise is stonger and more vital than ever; they even say that it sold well on the newly-redone website. I hope we're not nearing the last movie :(

Edit: Technically, the 14th sequel is the 15th movie.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There's no evidence to suggest that the 14th will be the last.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It all depends on the quality of the sequels. There is still so much room left, so many good stories which are yet to be told. If future sequels were bound to be bad I'm afraid it would be better to stop right now.
However, they are not bound to be bad!
There have been flaws about several of the last sequels and yet there have been very positive aspects about them too. It woud be utopic (but not impossible), I suppose, to expect future sequels to become as good as the earlierst once again. There is still something positive in most of the recent sequels.
Therefore I cannot support any calls for an end to LBT based only on the number. If a thousand more good sequels can be made, by all means make a thausand sequels. If no good sequel at all could be made, by all means don't even consider making a bad one.
There is yet room for good stories.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The only problem I have with continuous sequels is the changing of voice actors. LBT has been through so many different ones, and it's really painful hearing some of the new ones and trying to adapt to them.

But the movies aren't really dieing on me at all. Each new one that's about to be released, I feel just as anxious as the one before.

But if universal really wants to just keep going with this series, then let them. No matter how many different ones they release, and how cheesy some of them may be, I'll still watch them and always be a fan of LBT no matter what :p

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I still feel too many sequels can hurt the LBT franchise rather than help it. Too many sequels, even good ones, are not a good idea in my opinion.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't care too much about LBT as a franchise, but more about it as a story. The quality of the story is of major importance (and good stories have a positive aspect on LBT as a franchise too).
I must disagree with your idea that even if good sequels could be produced they should not because too high a number might hurt the franchise.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just feel that LBT doesn't need all this continuation.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I wouldn't like LBT to end, but the new sequels really have to be something. I saw an improvement in LBT XII, however I no longer feel the same way as I did before. Untill LBT VII, I spent all year searching for information and very anxious for the moment I'd get my hands on the sequel, now I don't feel the same way. And watching the sequel brings a couple of laughs and stuff, but the most rcent ones lack the "magic" of the first ones. Maybe it's just because I've grown up, or that the hopeof Ali's return that kept me a fan all these years is fading.
Anyway, I hope that when the final sequel comes, and it will come, they make an ending that dignifys not only the sequels but the original movie as well.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
the most rcent ones lack the "magic" of the first ones

This is why I feel that Universal should not have gone this far in producing the sequels. I feel the damage has already been done, though. I feel that the number of sequels may have been the reason LBT lost a lot of its popularity that it once had in the 90s. It's hurting the franchise, and that's not good.

I don't care too much about LBT as a franchise, but more about it as a story.

But the story is still dependent on the franchise, the marketting. The more popularity it loses, the less LBT stuff we will see in the future. And once the franchise is over, then no more LBT sequels, the way I see it anyway. Universal produces the LBT sequels for one thing only: money. And if they don't get enough money, they may end up stopping production of LBT movies.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I do see your point, but I still can't agree to the idea of abandoning any continuation of the land before time even in case of some more good sequels.
There are still stories left to be told. While I admit that it is very unlikely that the glory of the earliest sequels will ever return I also see that in spite of some extreme shortcomings in some cases there was still a lot on the positive side in case of most sequels. Cut out the rainbowfaces (or their obvious departure), take a little more care about the colors and LBT 7 wouldn't have been too bad. LBT 8 was a good basic idea too. Take more care about the realism, at a little more depth to the character conflicts and developements and it would have been good. LBT 9 was simple but good. There were some plot holes (e.g. why couldn't Petrie fly just a little higher to tell their parents about were), but some nice music, some very emotional scenes, and scenes which reminded of earlier LBT movies in a positive way. LBT 10... well, it is the one of which I wish that it had never been made, but most of you disagree with me. There are emotional scenes and beautiful music to it.
My point is that LBT hasn't deteriorated beyond recognition and it need not do so even if the series is being continued. And if good sequels continue to be produced I suppose this would do more good on the economic sector than a high roman numeral would do bad.
Once the series is stopped the merchandize would cease soon anyway, so why not give it a try. With some enthusiasm, creativity, and sense for what made the early movies good the production team could still come up with something.
I don't think LBT should be abandoned lightly.
I hope my mind won't be changed by the TV series I haven't seen yet.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I too must agree that the more recent movies do lack that certain specialty that the first few had. Every movie just seems to follow a long journey into the mysterious beyond because something bad has happened in the valley, or the kids just decide to go on an adventure.

But the way I see it, it doesn't really matter because nothing is continuing at all. None of the movies ever "continue" after the previous one. It's all a completely new adventure, like a brand new movie. The characters barely even refer to recent times.

If you look at some of the really popular movie series, like "The Matrix" and "Lord of the Rings", each movie continued onto the next. So of course, the series would eventually have to come to a stop. But LBT can't really "end" because there really is no series. Every movie is its own story, and there's no connection at all.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Cut out the rainbowfaces (or their obvious departure)

Ah yes, the infamous "aliens in LBT" moment. That took me by surprise, and did realize how unLBT it was.

While I do not agree with making more sequels, I would still watch the new movies as they come out, since it's about dinosaurs and I like dinosaurs.

Every movie is its own story, and there's no connection at all.

Not entirely true, though for the most part it is. LBT 5 was connected to LBT2 with the reintroduction of Chomper and his parents, and how the kids remembered them. And don't forget LBT 10, which was connected to LBT1 with Bron's story of what happened during that time. And I guess you can say that LBT11 is also connected to LBT1 because of the absense of Cera's mother and how Cera feels about Tria. I could be wrong though.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Not entirely true, though for the most part it is. LBT 5 was connected to LBT2 with the reintroduction of Chomper and his parents, and how the kids remembered them. And don't forget LBT 10, which was connected to LBT1 with Bron's story of what happened during that time. And I guess you can say that LBT11 is also connected to LBT1 because of the absense of Cera's mother and how Cera feels about Tria. I could be wrong though.
Yea, there were a select few moments where they referred back, but there still wasn't much connection at all. In each movie, the gang kind of starts off like nothing ever happened.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
What about the ninth movie? That seemed to recapture at least some of the spirit of the first movie.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh yeah and it also connected with LBT5 with that song Big Water, and how they were returning to the ocean.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There's also plenty of connectivity in the tv series; just look at episodes 3 and 6:

3. - Showed Saurus rock
    - Mentioned the sheltering grass (from movie II)

6. - Mentioned Pterano
    - Had motifs of bad luck (movie VI) and the foul-smelling plants (movie V)

Who knows? Maybe there will be a mention of Ali or Bron in a later episode. Those possibilities are just as likely as a Pterano mention, and that happened.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
There are many references to previous sequels in later sequels and also on the TV series. So you can't completely put aside a concept of a continuing story on the overall. I would like a last sequel that would somehow gather all the other sequels and reach some sort of conclusion, maybe all the Dinosaurs having to live together, and only the ideal of the Great Valley could save them, something like that.
I believe Roy Allen Smith's idea was this, you can tell by what Ali says at the end of LBT 4, we'll all live together someday, even as a reference to Tickles. When Charles Grosvenor came in, the hole concept changed...

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I know that there were some times when they did mention things from previous movies. Maybe my idea of no connection at all was a bit of an over-statement, but it still doesn't change the fact that none of the movies continue off of what happened at the end of the last movie. There's no main story that spreads over all of the sequels. It's just a gang of 5 dinosaurs who experience many journeys and mis-haps throughout their childhood. :lol

If they were going to make a big ending for all the movies, there wouldn't be much they could do. They could have Ali return and everybody just live happily ever after. Or the gang could grow up and that would be the end. But there isn't really any story to conclude except that the gang just lived on peacefully.