The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Prompt Challenge Discussion

rhombus · 481 · 71502

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Is the August prompt still going to happen or are we taking a break for the fanfiction awards? I kinda have an idea already in the works if we're still doing August.

Yep, the August prompt is still happening. It will run until September 30.

August 2019..............................Aug 1 – Sep 30

One word prompt: Greatness

Dialogue prompt: “In order for him/her to rise, he/she had to first fall.”

Major prompt: Write a story about a character rising to the occasion after experiencing a loss or hardship in life.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

LeventeII

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
What do I have to do to submit my work? Would it be enough if I just uploaded the Fanfiction here, or do I have to pay attention to something special before?

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
You are talking about the July prompt exchange challenge, correct? It's pretty simple of how to submit your work and I believe there are even guidelines for you to take a look at if you're pondering about that. But like I said, it's quite simple, it would be not only good to upload it here, but on Fanfiction.net as well, then save the links and finally send them to Rhombus in a PM as he is the one who is in charge of managing this section. Adding the summary into the message would also be a good idea, but I don't think you'll face any serious repercussions if you forget that part.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile

You are talking about the July prompt exchange challenge, correct? It's pretty simple of how to submit your work and I believe there are even guidelines for you to take a look at if you're pondering about that. But like I said, it's quite simple, it would be not only good to upload it here, but on Fanfiction.net as well, then save the links and finally send them to Rhombus in a PM as he is the one who is in charge of managing this section. Adding the summary into the message would also be a good idea, but I don't think you'll face any serious repercussions if you forget that part.
Apparently crossposting a prompt entry to FFN is mandatory according to the master rules, but I'm not sure how strictly that criteria is enforced since almost every LBT author here crossposts their story on the FFN archive even if it's not for the prompts.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Apparently crossposting a prompt entry to FFN is mandatory according to the master rules, but I'm not sure how strictly that criteria is enforced since almost every LBT author here crossposts their story on the FFN archive even if it's not for the prompts.

Yeah, I believe that's the reason right there, but I always upload to both sites, both because it reads on the rules and to possibly attract new members to the forum as I myself became quite attracted to the forum once I started to read the prompts a long time ago. :)

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
  • AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB
    • View Profile

Yeah, I believe that's the reason right there, but I always upload to both sites, both because it reads on the rules and to possibly attract new members to the forum as I myself became quite attracted to the forum once I started to read the prompts a long time ago. :)

I actually joined this forum a year ago...but I didn't become active until June or July...after reading the author's notes of fanfic on ff.net that said the fanfics were responses to prompt challenges - that's when I realized that this forum was actually active. I have no idea why I didn't think it was when I first signed up :lol
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

Major kudos to anyone who figures out what that means :)

I will find ways to make sure “lol dino” is in all of my posts :lol

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good evening, everyone!

First of all, this is just a reminder that the Summer Prompt Exchange has now concluded.  I was quite pleased with the number of responses!  With the exception of myself (my entry will be coming soon, but it would not be open for voting anyway) and jassy, everyone else has posted their entries in the allotted time.  If you participated in the prompt exchange you may vote on which entry best lived up to the premise by voting in the voting topic, which can be found here: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15336.msg490409#msg490409

As of right now there is only one more prompt that is active, the August prompt, which will run until September 30. At that point the fanfic prompt challenge will go on hiatus until December so as not to interfere with the forum fanfiction awards.  But do not fear, as the fanfic prompt challenge will be back for yet another year of challenges and creativity.  :yes

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
Even though I wasn’t able to finish my entry in time, I am thrilled to see the amount of participation this year!  :)littlefoot Unfortunately work has pretty much taken over my life hence why I wasn’t able to finish by the deadline, but I’ll try and post my finished story eventually when I find the time and motivation, even if it won’t count for the challenge. hopefully i’ll be able to participate more this coming year.  :^^spike
"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I also hope that I can score with more participation next year although my final exams will likely prevent me from getting much writing done starting in 2020.

While I'm here, I'd like to suggest a prompt for next year. I'm pretty sure it came up on the discord server recently but I wanna voice it here again because I actually have a story idea that suits the prompt I'm proposing.

"Write a story that is set in the universe of another LBT fanfiction."
Inactive, probably forever.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I completely second that idea. It would be a great experience for sure to explore another author's universe with a story of our own, albeit the major problems it could bring is namely that it lives up to the premise of the original concept.

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
I've thought of that idea, too. I often thought of writing stories set in the same universe as "Secret Love." The problems that held me back were ...

1) I didn't want to spoil the ending for anyone who might not have gotten all the way to the end, as these stories would have been set AFTER the events of "Secret Love."

2) Not everyone here is comfortable with the shipping in that story.
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Alright, given that I accidentally started this domino effect rolling with Boundless Curiosity (even though it's definitely not the first of its kind, I'll stress), I think I'll probably state my two cents on the "fic set in another fic" idea.

Typically, this idea works best as a supplement to an idea/fic with a lot of world-building potential behind it that can subsist an offshoot spin-off (so as of now it'll mostly be Rhombus' Hunters verse, Sovereign's Separate Ways, TLD's The Swimmer Trials, Ducky's Shorty's Dark Past, probably most of Dave's work as well as a couple of profound one-shots with strong themes and ideas), with two common categories I can think of:

1) Bridge the parent fic's canon while remaining canon-compliant to the original author's work (ie. missing scene, thoughts behind minor character, expanding a scene, different POV, minor what-if scenario)
2) Expand on the parent fic's idea (ie. major what-if scenario which changes the entire course of the parent fic, a straight-up fanmade sequel to the original work, or opting to merely borrowing the crux of the core concept - ie. the many LBT human self-insert stories), basically following an AU set in the parent fic's verse which need not necessarily be canon-compliant to the parent work.

Now, I'll personally recommend going for the first, and I'm going to elaborate why. If you're going to write something in the latter category, I would advise caution as it is very easy to fall into the trap of losing the tone and/or charm of the original story you're drawing inspiration from. To put this in perspective, from what I read in The Eighth Hunter, that fic would fall in the latter category and it slowly but surely gains an identity of its own, one which might not identify with readers of Rhombus' original work. With stories of this style, you'll run the risk of not capturing the audience who loved the original so much for what it is and what it stands for.

On the other hand, with fics-of-fics (heh) in the first category, you're capturing the tone and general ambiance of the original story, and you'll likely enrapture the original author of the work as well. Say if I were to write a fic elaborating on Sparkle's backstory and/or day-to-day life as an offshoot to Secret Love, not only will it please original author @DiddyKF1 compared to if I were to write a far-off sequel which may not even fit the tone of the original romance fic, but there's definitely an audience who have read that fic that has this nagging thought in their mind, and by fulfilling that you will satisfy their hunger for by creating a response to a question that they didn't even know they wanted the answer for. With Boundless Curiosity, I decided to focus on the successor leaf-eater gang since I really liked them and felt they had more to them when reading Songs, and lo and behold it turned out I wasn't alone in that regard (which was something I didn't even know or consider when drafting the idea).

So I'd recommend going for an idea along the lines of the former/first category. But that's just my tip from observing many, many fics trying to use other fics as a base. You don't have to listen to my rambling, it's just an observation.

I completely second that idea. It would be a great experience for sure to explore another author's universe with a story of our own, albeit the major problems it could bring is namely that it lives up to the premise of the original concept.
This is definitely a caveat! If you're going to base your work off another's, there will be definitely comparisons made, so my advice is not to compete with the original author, but to compliment their style. Be mindful especially if you're using their OCs... treat their character the way like your own and don't have them go OOC, with exceptions you should make sure that they'd act almost identical to how they would in the original story, and remember to try and stick to the general tone and style of whichever fic you're borrowing from.

Fics based on specific AUs are common in other way larger fandoms and have been successful, so I will definitely be pleased if people are interested in expanding other author's ideas! It's all about perspective - you might see potential in something that your favorite author has seemingly glossed over, so why not self-indulge yourself? It's why we write fanfics to begin with. :p
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:09:59 AM by OwlsCantRead »
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That's true and there are lot of ideas on my mind about what to write if this plan is accepted in the end, so I definitely won't be lacking in ideas for sure. :^^spike

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
While I probably wouldn't be able to finish my story on time (curse you adult life with a fulltime job), I would totes participate in this prompt  :Mo

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
While I'm here, I'd like to suggest a prompt for next year. I'm pretty sure it came up on the discord server recently but I wanna voice it here again because I actually have a story idea that suits the prompt I'm proposing.

"Write a story that is set in the universe of another LBT fanfiction."

please, please, please let this actually become a prompt  :lol
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will have an official welcome post for the new season of the fanfiction prompt challenge as soon as December 1st comes around.  But, before we get to the official beginning, I did want to run by some possible rule changes and the proposed prompts before we get started.  Please let me know if you have any objections or suggested changes to what is proposed.  :yes

Proposed Rule Change:

In the event of a tied vote for the top story of the month (that is not due to there only being two entries) then a runoff vote will happen to decide the winner.

Proposed prompts:

December 2019..............................Dec 1 – Jan 31

One word prompt : Exploration

Dialogue prompt : “Sometimes you have to find a new place in order to find what was always there all along.”

Major prompt: The gang is notorious for exploring new places and finding new difficulties along the way. Write a story where one or more of the gang explore(s) someplace new and, along the way, discover(s) something about themselves as well.

January 2020..............................Jan 1 – Feb 29

One word prompt : Perplexed

Dialogue prompt : "He/she had seen much in his/her life, but nothing had prepared him/her for this."

Major prompt: Never mind how old we are, or how much experience we obtain, life has a way of throwing unexpected surprises in our direction. Write a story where a character is confronted with something that confounds them and which forces them to reconsider some of their previous ideas.  This can be played romantically, humorously, or seriously, depending on your preference.

February 2020..............................Feb 1 – March 31

One word prompt : Eggs

Dialogue prompt : "They're hatching!"

Major prompt: The birth (or hatching) of one's first child is always a wondrous and joyful experience, but it is also incredibly daunting.  Now there is a new life on this planet which is dependent on your support and love.  Write a story where a new parent or parents must deal with the challenges of their first nest.

March 2020..............................Mar 1 – Apr 30

Special prompt : Make a story that focuses on another author's OC.  You will need to obtain that OC creator's permission first in order to use their OC, and do give them credit for the OC in your author's note.

Alternative prompt : Write a story that is set in the universe of another LBT fanfiction. Once again, make sure you get the original author's permission again.

April 2020..............................Apr 1 – May 31

One word prompt : Misadventure

Dialogue prompt : "Was it worth it?"  "Of course!"

Major prompt: It's all fun and games until you are chased by a threehorn or sharptooth due to your idiocy!  Make a story that focuses on the humorous misadventures of a character or characters.

May 2020..............................May 1 – Jun 30   

One word prompt : Hidden

Dialogue prompt : "He doesn't like me much, does he?"

Major prompt: Write a story featuring a character that you think is underexplored in the fandom.  Bonus points if you can write a sympathetic story featuring a character that you actually dislike in the canon.

June 2020..............................Jun 1 – Jul 31   

One word prompt : Adapting

Dialogue prompt : "Uh... do you speak my language?"  "Wrth'grrr arrghhh!"  "Um... okay, thank you!"

Major prompt: Adapting to a new home and culture can be difficult. Write a story where a character (canon or otherwise) must adapt to a new home and herd/pack.

July 2020..............................Jul 1 – Aug 31   

One word prompt : Alternatives

Dialogue prompt : "Not all was as it seemed."

Major prompt: History is often written by the winners and this is no less true in the Land Before Time... apart from the whole writing thing. :p Write a story that presents an alternative character interpretation (or a hidden side) of a canon character.

August 2020..............................Aug 1 – Sep 30

Summer prompt exchange!: Everyone writes a prompt of their own choosing, then the prompts are shuffled and redistributed back to the writers. The writers must then do a story based on their new prompt!

Hiatus for fanfic awards..............................Oct 1 – Nov 30

The prompt challenge will be on hiatus so as not to interfere with the forum fanfiction awards.  It will return on December 1.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
These prompts are really, really good! :duckyhappy They're definitely simpler entry points for any entrants willing to try their hand for the 2020 prompt challenge! I especially like the May one because my personal adage with fanfics is to write things that haven't been done before, and it's a really neat thing to see such restraints being placed in prompts because it tends to bring out some of the most creative and self-indulgent ideas.

Proposed Rule Change:
In the event of a tied vote for the top story of the month (that is not due to there only being two entries) then a runoff vote will happen to decide the winner.
Given the relatively small number of participants, ties do tend to occur, so I'm in favor of the runoff vote. I'm just concerned given how long voting tends to last... lag time will  be something. :p Still, will you still break the tie if there are only two entries and/or the tie still persists even after a second vote?

March 2020..............................Mar 1 – Apr 30

Special prompt : Make a story that focuses on another author's OC.  You will need to obtain that OC creator's permission first in order to use their OC, and do give them credit for the OC in your author's note.

Alternative prompt : Write a story that is set in the universe of another LBT fanfiction. Once again, make sure you get the original author's permission again.
I like the flexibility of the alternate prompt for this specific month since it technically allows one to expand the source fic while retaining their writing style, but I would say that while writing about another OC is certainly more restrictive than the alternate prompt, the OC-special prompt might end up causing the entry more true to its roots and original concept than a less restrictive other-universe fic. No qualms, though. :P

But what if the original fic's author isn't on GoF, perchance, since there are still many other fic authors who haven't joined our lovely forum? Do we just get their permission through FFN then?

Besides those two minor notes, I'm all good. I will make a valiant attempt to participate more compared to the past two years for sure in this one! :Mo

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
These prompts look great!

Maybe 2020 will be the year I finally submit a prompt  :lol
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Still, will you still break the tie if there are only two entries and/or the tie still persists even after a second vote?

Aye, I would plan on breaking the tie in those cases.  :yes

But what if the original fic's author isn't on GoF, perchance, since there are still many other fic authors who haven't joined our lovely forum? Do we just get their permission through FFN then?

Yep, yep, yep! In that case a screenshot of the PM granting permission would be acceptable as proof of permission.

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Can prompts be started before the listed start date?

I got ideas for some of the prompts  :lol
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB