The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time Glossary

Pangaea · 93 · 33094

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That sounds like a good idea.  I'm sure many of the Dink terms could be used as well.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just noticed another word that's not on there.  It's "The NightFlower".

Remember that?  It was used to cure Grandpa Longneck when he was ill in LBT 4.

Even though it was used for only one movie, shouldn't we still include it?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Almaron,Oct 5 2009 on  02:07 AM
In regards to my other post, are there descriptive words used in Dink, The Little Dinosaur? We could probably add these too (In another colour. Green?) as an example of names that the fan-base could use.
I'm not a big fan of that show myself, :p and as far as I'm concerned, this is strictly an LBT glossary. If you don't mind, I'd rather keep it that way (though you can start your own glossary for Dink if you like).

Quote from: pokeplayer984,Oct 5 2009 on  12:18 PM
I just noticed another word that's not on there. It's "The NightFlower".

Remember that? It was used to cure Grandpa Longneck when he was ill in LBT 4.

Even though it was used for only one movie, shouldn't we still include it?
The Night Flower, hmm...

It would seem a more fitting entry for an LBT encyclopedia than a glossary, as it's not so much a term as a specific species of plant in the LBT universe, but I suppose I could add it in.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I actually call Hyp's species a false sharptooth in my fanfiction. ^^
And Igonodons, false longnecks.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I suppose if you used it in a fanfic, then I'm obligated to include it in the glossary. To tell you the truth, though, I can't imagine a species calling itself a "false" anything. It seems self-condescending ("false" possibly implying inferiority), and since these dinosaurs regard themselves as being different species from sharpteeth and longnecks, respectively, one would expect that their names for own kinds would not indicate any relationship. Just my opinion.

On the other hand, it's possible that dinosaurs of OTHER species might use those terms to refer to Hypsilophodon and Iguanodon, especially if they were unfamiliar with their kinds and didn't know what to call them. This would particularly make sense if the dinosaurs in question adhered to the "we never do anything together" mindset, and didn't bother to communicate with other kinds.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^Maybe, I just thought though that since igonodons -kind of- look like longnecks and hyp's species looks a bit like a sharptooth, that they MIGHT call them that. Maybe.

I also had some ideas for profanities and insults:
*Cone head (insult to the flyers with crests)
*Spike tail dirt! (offensive profanity, basically is like BS)
*Sharptooth dirt! (EXTREMELY offensive profanity)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rat_lady7,Oct 18 2009 on  10:45 PM
^Maybe, I just thought though that since igonodons -kind of- look like longnecks and hyp's species looks a bit like a sharptooth, that they MIGHT call them that. Maybe.
Do you still want me to include them?

Those are...interesting. :lol Did you use them in a fanfic, too?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Oct 18 2009 on  07:55 PM
Quote from: Rat_lady7,Oct 18 2009 on  10:45 PM
Do you still want me to include them?

Those are...interesting. :lol Did you use them in a fanfic, too?
Yeah sure go ahead and add them. :yes

And yeah, I used all of those terms in a fanfiction.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
:lol

On the note of profanities, I have used "sharptooth crap" in a fanfic :lol.

Other LBT-friendly profanities I have used in RP's, Party Room, etc:

*Son of a buzzing stinger
*Son of a tarpit
*Rockhead (the equivalent to a human calling someone a s***head :p)

Feel free to add 'em if ya wish :lol.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks. :lol

I can remember at least one instance of "rockhead" being used in the canon, but seeing as it was spoken in the presence of Ruby, Ducky, Spike, and Chomper, I doubt the dinosaurs consider it as severe a profanity as the equivalent you described. :p

If it's all the same to you, I think I won't use "sharptooth crap", the reason being that its chief component is a modern word, and a profanity on its own (the word "sharptooth" is not needed to make it thus, though it certainly makes it sound humorous :lol). The two "son of a ___" ones I'm not sure on (whether to add them or not).

I wonder if I'm being a little too conservative when it comes to adding entries to the "Insults and Profanities" section. :unsure: I suspect that several insults uttered in the films are spur-of-the-moment improvisations by particular characters, so I guess I feel a little reluctant to imply that they are widely used profanities by including them in the glossary. For instance, I seriously doubt that Ozzy's crowning achievement as an ornithomimid insult comic (surely the mother of all leafeater-oriented slurs)...
You leaf-loving, bush-burping, stem-smelling, garden-gorging, plant-popping, tree-tasting, dirt-devouring BEAST!
...is a particularly common insult. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Oct 20 2009 on  11:56 PM
For instance, I seriously doubt that Ozzy's crowning achievement as an ornithomimid insult comic (surely the mother of all leafeater-oriented slurs)...
You leaf-loving, bush-burping, stem-smelling, garden-gorging, plant-popping, tree-tasting, dirt-devouring BEAST!
I saw that particular instance as being an "insult chain"; every one of those terms is in itself an insult.

I have used the terms brightfall for sunset and brightrise for sunrise.

Regarding the "false" terminology, I agree that it is used by other dinosaurs to refer to them and may originally have had an insulting connotation but that later disappeared. I based this off how some Chinese terms for people of other races sound somewhat insulting (PM me if you want me to elaborate on this).

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
As for profanities there is one which appears in the 1998 land before time book "Let's play impossible" (the book looks very much like it was illustrated by one of the illustrators of the 1988 land before time illustrated story book). That book has Cera call Petrie "beak brain" on one occasion.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Serris: You’re probably right about the insult chain (though some of its constituent insults sound a little strange on their own, in my opinion :p). Also, I’ve added those two terms relating to the Bright Circle. ;)

Malte: While I appreciate the submission, I’m a little hesitant to use it. My reasons are hard to explain, but suffice to say that it was never my intent to include terms from books about LBT in the glossary. (Frankly, I’m rather unsure on exactly how I should be handling this project; :unsure: should I be accepting terms into the glossary indiscriminately, or should there be some deliberation concerning certain terms? :confused) If you really think that I should use book terms, I should probably use a different color for them, given that their canonicity is disputable, but they don’t really count as fanbase terms, either.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Don't worry it was just a suggestion. Though terms of the books may be a little more "canon" than some of the terms we have come up ourselves so far. The list makes good suggestions, but there are also some terms which personally I think might sound a bit over the top in a land before time story, but that's of course a matter of taste of the authors :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^ That’s essentially the dilemma I’m facing: I don’t want to upset people by excluding terms submitted by them, but on the other hand I agree that some terms (several of whichówhile not devised by meóI added of my own accord :oops) probably wouldn’t work too well as canon (or canon-sounding) LBT language. For instance, “Twoclaw Sharptooth” and “Two Finger Sharptooth” is not an ideal name for T. rex, considering that many LBT sharptooth species have two fingers (despite the fact that, scientifically, that characteristic is almost always erroneous), and Chomper, a T. rex himself, has three fingers. :wacko

I don’t want people (particularly fanfic writers) who use the glossary to assume that just because a term’s on there, that’s what they should use. (This is one reason I made the canon and fanbase terms distinct from one another.) To summarize the purposes I intended for the glossary, it is for people who:
ï want to know if there’s a canon LBT term for something.
ï want to know the meaning of a fan-made term you saw in a fanfic.
ï need an “LBT-sounding” term for something in a fanfic, but cannot come up with one themselves (or want to know if there’s already a term out there that they might prefer over whatever they came up with).
ï have a casual interest in LBT terms.

That said, does anyone think there’s something I should be doing differently (as far as managing the glossary is concerned)? Are there certain terms that could stand to be removed? Should I cite who submitted the respective fanbase terms and/or where they came from? Should there be set criteria for accepting or rejecting possibly problematic terms? I want to make sure I’m handling this right, but I need people’s input (if only to tell me that I’m doing fine as is, and getting worked up over nothing).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I almost forgot. There was another term I heard for lightning in an LBT episode. I'm pretty sure Littlefoot or one of the characters refer to lightning as sky fire. It was in the episode where Ruby takes the others to the jumping waters, and Petrie is all petrified about bad luck due to Spike eating a red treestar.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I remember that, and it does make sense.  It is very bright like the sun or fire, and I'm sure sometimes some dinos have seen lightning hit a tree and a fire start, so I can see where the term came from.  Not sure where I heard it but I do remember it was called sky fire, if I'm right.  I had forgotten about that.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you so, so much for mentioning that. I thought I had already had "Sky Fire" on there, so I checked to make sure, and this is what I saw:
Lightning – Lightning
:slap :bang :wacko
I've fixed it, but boy do I feel like an absentminded knucklehead. :rolleyes

For the record, I would have suggested "sky flash" if LBT hadn't already come up with a term for lightning. :p

EDIT: Ah! "Jumping waters" (geysers) isn't on there either! Thank you!

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I believe DarkHououmon used the term "halfteeth" to refer to omnivores in her latest story Heinous. It probably does not refer to Struthiomimus as they do not have teeth.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
You are correct. Halfteeth is a term I came up with for omnivores. It was pretty difficult to come up with, but I wanted to come up with a general term for omnivores since there's two for herbivores (flatteeth/leafeater) and at least one for sharpteeth (sharpteeth, although I think they use the term meateater once). Strut uses it to describe his and Ozzy's diet only, although it's probably not a wise choice of words on his end considering that, as you said, he and Ozzy don't actually have any teeth.

Here's a couple other terms from my fanfic-

Crestless Swimmer-Maiasaura (and any other crestless hadrosaur)
Yellow Puffies-Pollen
Horned Clawhand-Irritator (like a Baryonyx but smaller)
Groundwalker-Land dweller
Flowing Sniffer-Runny nose (such as from an allergic reaction)