The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Notice on Avatars!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hi there guys! :)

Recently, one of our newer members, somerandomfangirl, notified us of the fact she could not upload her avatar to the Gang of Five. More members have noticed this and asked if there was a solution. We have looked into our statistics, and it turns out the last avatar that was uploaded was in February 2012, roughly a year ago.

Apparently, the system no longer accepts it when you upload an image, even though you use the correct file size and file type. I tested this by using my current avatar image (which was accepted way back) and tried to upload it again, this obviously didn't work. The result of this seems that many members have been unable to change their avatar or get an avatar in the first place. We cannot figure out why it is no longer accepting new avatars (everything else still works fine).

So to all our new members, and to those who also would like to change their avatars on here: We recommend uploading your avatar to another website and using the image link for your avatar. For those of you unaware to do this, here's a step by step instruction.

1. Find a website to upload your image to. This could be anywhere from an imagewebsite to social media. Some recommended image websites are www.photobucket.com and www.imageshack.us .

2. Once you have uploaded your image there, you can copy the so-called 'Direct Link'. If you decided to upload it to facebook, youtube, instagram or whatever else you've got, you will need to copy the image link. In internet explorer, right click the image and go to properties, then select the image link and copy that. For all other browsers, right click the image and select something along the lines of 'copy image link'.

3. Paste this (direct) image link in your user control panel: http://gangoffive.net/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=24 in the bar 'Enter a URL to an online avatar image'. Don't use the browse option to get an image from your computer.

Hopefully this is clear enough and will it encourage some of our newer members to get an avatar :) If anything is confusing, please comment here or send me a PM and I'll resolve it.

If any of our tech-savvy members wants to look into uploading avatars to find a way to work around the error, that would be very welcome! :)

This post reminded me to change my av for once :P:

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks for your help! I'll see what I can do.  :wave

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I personally was never aware of this issue.  I've never actually uploaded an avatar to GOF (the restrictions suck and I always need something larger (in file-size) than the board itself allows).  Good to know we have this problem and what to do about it.

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
Isn't it because the file size exceeds the 200kb and it's past the dimensions?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nah, my previous avatar (the cake one) was 10kb and 100x100px + jpg format. Doesn't get accepted for wrong file type ;)