The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My computer is broken

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
My computer has come back from the shop. It has a new power supply and is able to turn on just fine. However, a new problem has arisen.

My computer got slow. Painfully slow. It's much more unresponsive, to the point where I was almost tempted to just hook the older computer back up. It has been hectic trying to get my computer to work decently.

Right now, I am using Manjaro Linux (Openbox version) on a live DVD. It's running perfectly smoothly, with programs and sites opening almost instantly. I may end up partitioning a Manjaro section for my computer, or replacing Windows 7 altogether.

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jun 22 2013 on  04:39 AM
My computer has come back from the shop. It has a new power supply and is able to turn on just fine. However, a new problem has arisen.

My computer got slow. Painfully slow. It's much more unresponsive, to the point where I was almost tempted to just hook the older computer back up. It has been hectic trying to get my computer to work decently.

Right now, I am using Manjaro Linux (Openbox version) on a live DVD. It's running perfectly smoothly, with programs and sites opening almost instantly. I may end up partitioning a Manjaro section for my computer, or replacing Windows 7 altogether.
How was your computer? I hope nothing goes wrong to your computer.
I like to watch Dino Squad, Street Sharks, Sabrina's Secret Life, Extreme Dinosaurs, Sonic Underground, Transformers Prime, Power Rangers, Yugioh, Phineas and Ferb, Digimon, Cardfight Vanguard, Land Before Time (14 Films and TV Series) and I like to play Zuma Deluxe

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Try asking Land since he knows more about this stuff than we do.

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Path Light,Jun 21 2013 on  09:51 PM

He just said it was painfully slow and unresponsive. Did you even read the comment?

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Quote from: Mr Wonk,Jun 22 2013 on  08:42 PM

He just said it was painfully slow and unresponsive. Did you even read the comment?
Yep, I did.
I like to watch Dino Squad, Street Sharks, Sabrina's Secret Life, Extreme Dinosaurs, Sonic Underground, Transformers Prime, Power Rangers, Yugioh, Phineas and Ferb, Digimon, Cardfight Vanguard, Land Before Time (14 Films and TV Series) and I like to play Zuma Deluxe

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Path Light,Jun 22 2013 on  07:46 AM

Yep, I did.
So what was the point of you're post then? He clearly said the computer was not working properly and why, yet you ask how was his computer? It makes no sense.

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Quote from: Mr Wonk,Jun 22 2013 on  09:07 PM
Quote from: Path Light,Jun 22 2013 on  07:46 AM

Yep, I did.
So what was the point of you're post then? He clearly said the computer was not working properly and why, yet you ask how was his computer? It makes no sense.
Er, DarkHououmon was a she, not a he.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I had explained earlier in this topic what the problem had been. My power supply failed and I had to replace the power supply unit. I did this by taking it to a computer shop, as I had no idea how to do it myself. After I got it back, the computer had suddenly gotten very slow and unresponsive.

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jun 22 2013 on  09:56 PM
I had explained earlier in this topic what the problem had been. My power supply failed and I had to replace the power supply unit. I did this by taking it to a computer shop, as I had no idea how to do it myself. After I got it back, the computer had suddenly gotten very slow and unresponsive.
Oh no. I think you will take good care of your computer.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if it may need to be defragged.  I think windows needs that in some cases, or it slows down for some folks.

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Path Light,Jun 22 2013 on  08:10 AM
Er, DarkHououmon was a she, not a he.
Now you're just changing the subject.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Try defragg your computer like Kor suggested maybe that will help.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, given how slow my computer has become, at least when on Windows 7, defrag may not be an option. It already practically froze when trying to do a virus scan.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How about you back up your data and reinstall windows 7, should work like a charm.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
That could work also just try and clean your whole computer out.

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Quote from: Petrie85,Jun 23 2013 on  04:06 AM
That could work also just try and clean your whole computer out.
I have a better idea. Wipe off the dust with any cloth.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jun 22 2013 on  01:20 PM
Unfortunately, given how slow my computer has become, at least when on Windows 7, defrag may not be an option. It already practically froze when trying to do a virus scan.
Whatever you do, don't upgrade to Windows 8. Such a freaking nightmare. I'm this close to installing Ubuntu.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
There are several reasons your computer could be so slow.  None of them are good.  There are more possible causes than what I list here, but the top one's are probably:

1.  Some idiot there decided to give your computer a "tuneup" and messed things up.
2.  They did the wrong procedure on your computer because they got it mixed up with someone else's
3.  Some dishonest shops will take your original good hard drive and replace it with a failing hard drive.  They copy all the information EXACTLY as it was.  With a pair of USB 3.0 docks, it can be done in less than 2 hours.  I should know I do it all the time (the procedure itself, NOT stealing client's good hard drives).  It's called mirroring.  The bad dying hard drive read/write speed is usually significantly less than a good working drive and can cause severe slowness.
4.  Your computer could have been mistreated while in the shop.  A small amount of physical shock is enough to damage most hard drives.  Check it with this utility:

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDi...fo/index-e.html

It's the simplest and most user-friendly technician level hard drive diagnostic tool available.  

In the future it's best to do the following before taking your computer in for service:

1.  Make sure to shop around for a REPUTABLE shop.  Check reviews on Google, Yelp, YellowPages.com, etc.
2.  Write down the specs on your computer.  Be sure to include processor speed and type (i.e. AMD A10-6800K 4.4Ghz APU), amount of RAM, and hard drive size.  
3.  Open up your computer and visually inspect each component.  Write down serial numbers on the hard drive and look at the brands of your hard drive and RAM.  Take a picture as evidence in case they try swapping parts on you.
4.  Write the specs of your computer on a sticky note along with your name and contact information and put it on your computer.  It acts as a deterrent to would-be thieves if they know that YOU know what your specs are.  It also keeps your contact info right on the computer just in case they lose your contact information.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
One thing I know for certain is that the slowness has to do with Windows itself. It's a software issue, not a hardware one. The reason I know this is because the computer runs perfectly fun booted onto a Linux live DVD. If it were a hardware issue, it should still be slow even booted up in here.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
^Unfortunately that's not true.  When you boot a live CD, it loads the necessary files directly into memory (RAM) and doesn't even access your hard drive.  Even if you're backing up files or whatever, the damaged part of the drive could be where your Operating System files are, which is making your system slow.  A hard drive is the only hardware device in your computer that would cause slowness if it's bad and unfortunately that's the one thing that can't be ruled out by booting from a live CD.  

Your best bet is to run the program I linked to in my previous post.  It's a Windows application so make sure to boot into Windows first.