The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Because the GOF is very international...

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: SouthPawRacer,Jan 31 2010 on  09:48 PM
I do remember how to count from one to ten in Indonesian, however... satu, dua, tiga, empat, lima, enam, tujuh, delapan, sembilan, sepuluh.
Tepat sekali! (Exactly!) :lol

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I speak English and Spanish. Took five ears of Spanish from junior high to high school, and I'm still going to have to take another year in college.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Primary language is English and I do know enough Spanish to get by in a Spanish country (Castillian Spanish that is). Would love to speak Japanese so I could import Japanese games and play them without trouble understanding what's being said.  :D I know a few tid bits but that was all through karate practice I used to do when I was younger (all our instructions and commands were in Japanese). So technically I could ask someone to roundhouse kick me in the face  :lol

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
I speak german and english.
I also speak a little the philippines language... which is kinda weird because I'm from the philippines.  :p

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Finnish, English, half decent Swedish, and some Russian and German.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My native language is...American English :p.  I learned up to an intermediate level of Spanish, but due to a combination of not having room for additional Spanish courses and not being around Spanish speakers, I'm starting to forget some of it :neutral.  I at least know enough to get me around in a Spanish-speaking country, though ;).  

I know a couple of phrases in French, and three phrases in German ("Thank ya very much", "Good morning/afternoon/evening!  Do ya speak English?" and "Where is the toilet?" :lol).  I also know random words in several languages, and some German, French, Italian, and Spanish profanities/vulgarities :lol.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
Quote from: Serris,Feb 1 2010 on  12:07 AM
Prime: English

Secondaries: Latin and Chinese (Tiashanese and Cantonese)

I know exactly 2 words in German.
I'm cantonese. Ok tell me what is the 4 word chinese phrase commonly used to describe a messed up anyhow atitude

(SouthPawRacer @ Jan 31 2010, 09:48 PM)
I do remember how to count from one to ten in Indonesian, however... satu, dua, tiga, empat, lima, enam, tujuh, delapan, sembilan, sepuluh.

Tepat sekali! (Exactly!)
Really that is exactly the same as Bahasa Malay

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Paradise Bird,Feb 3 2010 on  08:07 PM
Really that is exactly the same as Bahasa Malay
Yeah, most words in the Malay language have the same meaning as when they are in Indonesian. They're VERY similar, believe me. :p

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
Man when I took malay back then I should have opt for indonesian when I had the chance. Oh yeah I'm back.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Bumping a necro thread.  :p

I know English as my native language and have taken two years of French and a year of German academically.  However, the only language I can currently use to anywhere near fluency is English.  I would love to learn Latin American Spanish at some point but I am a bit uncertain about how to go about that as my finances do not really permit immersion or private tutoring as an option.  I might dedicate an hour a day to that enterprise when I finally come to a decision on the best study plan for Spanish.  If there are any native Spanish speakers on the forum who might have some ideas I would be glad to hear them.  :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 07:37:33 PM by rhombus »

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
I wasn’t originally born in the US so I do know more than one language from my home country, even tho English is my first:

1) English (obviously)
2) Punjabi
3) Hindi

Although I’ll admit that I’m not extremely fluent in speaking Hindi, but I can understand what people are saying when they speak to me in Hindi :DD
"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Pretty much only English for me. Not sure what other Canadian provinces are like but in Alberta it was mandatory to take French from grade 4 to 6. Never continued with it though so I only remember a handful of words. Took a German course in grade 10 as well but didn't have the room to continue it in subsequent grades so I of course don't remember too much of that either :p

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I basically just know English and a little bit of Spanish. I will be taking some Italian next year though (hoping my Spanish background will help me :p ).

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I speak... English and Dutch pretty well, I'd say :p

I can sometimes babble something in German and French (but I have a limited word knowledge, so I run out of words quickly)

But I can understand all 4 of them.

And I can read some latin :)
I'd like to upgrade French from 'run out of words quickly' to 'can get around in France, no problem'

And then add Portuguese to the list of 'run out of words quickly' :P

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Russian is native.
Then comes EngRish I studied "properly" thanks only to videogames and forums like this for more than decade. (I had English during 9 years in school and 2 years in university, but it gave me only simple basis)
I also was learning Spanish a school for 5 years.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Heh! English is my forte!

It's actually rather surprising that I'm quite adept at English. It's quite the unusual achievement that a lot of my irl friends are surprised at considering that where I live, our locals tend to royally butcher the English language, even managing to add our own local Singaporean stew to it and turning it into our own colloquial equivalent: Singlish... a mishmash of local culture, colloquial vocabulary, accents, and verbal tics. So of course I would know it too! :celebrate

Ah, I'm just joking! I know that's not an official language... :p

In all seriousness, I do know Chinese as well, although I'm not the best at it. I am literate and can read Simplified Chinese, but Traditional Chinese used in Mainland China? Bleh, I'll be screwed! Not too confident in writing it though...
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Native is german.

English is like my second native language by now. Still haven't learned all the words ofc but I'm very fluent in writing, talking and thinking :D

I had latin for a few years in school but remember close to nothing.

Thx to anime, I have a vocabulary of about 100-200 words in japanese, however I haven't studied either the unique writing nor any grammar or the likes so I can only write a few very basic sentences. Aiming to learn a little more though :lol

Few random words of various languages :P
Inactive, probably forever.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Finnish is my native language but I also consider myself quite fluent in English. As is mandatory here, I've also studied Swedish for years but I still consider myself terrible at it. :sducky In addition to those, I also tried to learn Russian but my skills in it have vanished quite completely since then. :OhYou