The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rogue One, A Star Wars Story

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I saw Rogue One with my Uncle and mother yesterday. I thought it was really, really good. What are your thoughts?

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Never saw it yet some say it was boring and very slow paced movie.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I saw it earlier today, a short time ago really, with my GF and some of her friends.  We all enjoyed the movie quite a bit.  Fun movie I'd say.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Haven't seen it yet... Is it better than Force Awakens?

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Not sure some liked it but some say it's boring but I need to see it myself to make that judgement

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Dec 20 2016 on  02:34 PM
Not sure some liked it but some say it's boring but I need to see it myself to make that judgement
I was obviously asking those who have already seen the movie. <_<

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess some say it's boring, maybe, since it  gives you time to get to know the main characters.   Especially the main character.   it's not action, action, action, action.  With very little breathing room, that some enjoy & prefer.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Awesome it looks good and interesting so I'm intreged in seeing it since I'm a huge Star Wars fan

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
It was really, really good. I'll try to give a vague idea as to why without spoilers :lol

To start out with, I'll admit that I was biased against this film when I went to see it. The trailers all looked like they were trying too hard, and Jyn Erso came off as an obnoxious protagonist. I gave it a chance on good faith, however, and I'm really glad I did.

The plot was superbly well-crafted. I'm the kind of person who endlessly picks apart small details while watching movies, which can make many films very tedious for me. On the flip side of that, though, when the plots and subplots all interconnect and flow with one another and the pacing is on point, it's a completely magical experience. This movie nailed it. It's the best time I've had going to see a film in a very long time.

A lot of people have a problem with the character development in this film. I don't. I much prefer nondescript characters over the "unique special snowflake" variety, and this crew did their job. I also related to Jyn in a way I didn't expect, and found the majority of character decisions and reactions to be believable. And the reason that they treated the characters the way that they did was made evident, at least in my opinion, by the ultimate destiny of the story and the tone of the film.

So... there's my two cents! An A+ film that I wouldn't mind seeing again. As for whether it was better than "The Force Awakens," that's really a matter of personal taste. They are so vastly different in tone that I really can't even compare them in that way. I have to say I'm leaning more toward Rogue One, though, as the themes really struck a cord with me on a personal level.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Awesome than I must go see it than once I do I'll add my two cents in

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Finally found the time to go and see it today. What can I say... To be honest, while the idea of the Galactic Civil War shown from a different angle seemed intriguing, I didn't really follow the news about the film and was kind of afraid they were going to try and sell us a new generation of Star Wars characters to fertilize the soil for a myriad of future sequels. However to my surprise the main characters were intentionally downplayed in Rogue One and the spotline kept on the warring factions themselves - the Empire and the Rebellion - and their ideals. There are no jedis or fabled bounty hunters here - the actors mainly portrayed normal everyday people swept by the ongoing conflict and that was truly refreshing to see. Moreover the movie gives a Star Wars fan everything they want to see such as exotic alien worlds, greedy environments and phenomenal space battles. It also offers the best representation of the Empire to date and especially Darth Vader: you only see him in a handful of scenes, but every time he's on screen it's the Dark Lord of the Sith at his finest. Overall I'd say it's a great flick that easily topples the entire trilogy of prequels and even the somewhat formulaic seventh episode. :yes

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh yeah and I also forgot to mention that they quite successfully patched up perhaps one of the biggest plot holes in the original trilogies. That I believe is a sign of care that Disney shows to the legendary franchise they acquired from George Lucas. Hopefully they'll keep it up. :)
And on a side note...
Quote from: ADFan185,Dec 20 2016 on  03:33 PM
Yeah I know just adding my two cents in.
Quote from: ADFan185,Dec 21 2016 on  06:24 AM
Awesome it looks good and interesting so I'm intreged in seeing it since I'm a huge Star Wars fan
Quote from: ADFan185,Dec 21 2016 on  03:08 PM
Awesome than I must go see it than once I do I'll add my two cents in
Quote from: ADFan185,Dec 26 2016 on  05:13 PM
Awesome glad you liked it
You, sir, are a shameless spammer.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
To be fair George Lucas did do well but he didn't give the fans what they wanted. So it's nice to see Disney cares for there fans and they're giving them what they want in these movies.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I saw Rogue One and thought it was fine. It just wasn't very fun. It was a good movie, but it didn't scratch the very specific itch I go to see Star Wars films for.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Dec 27 2016 on  02:58 AM
It was a good movie, but it didn't scratch the very specific itch I go to see Star Wars films for.
Now I'm curious... What is it that you look for in a Star Wars movie? :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Well, fun, adventure, and the mystic qualities of The Force. This was a pretty straightforward war movie, which is a genre of film I appreciate, but not really enjoy. I would never say Rogue One was a bad movie, just not my Star Wars film of choice.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, I see your point. Unlike literally every Star Wars movie that came before it Rogue One focused all its attention on the conflict and not on the characters and their misadventures. Tue, it's a very notable deviation from the formula, but personally - I liked it. This move on director's part made the beloved uniserve seem... More tangible I guess. :yes Funny thing - I usually don't even like war movies that much, but since it's a new angle for my beloved franchise, I'm all for it. :D