The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Detective Pikachu - the movie

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So the Pokemon Company decided to make a movie of the 3DS game Detective Pikachu. The trailers so far have shown realistic Pokémon graphics, which might not be everyone's cup of tea. Interestingly, Ryan Reynolds was cast to play Pikachu, which in my opinion was a great choice. People have stated they wanted an even lower voice (as Pikachu had in the game), but I think Ryan's personality fits really well with the character.

Two trailers have been released so far, you can see them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roy4o4tqQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14oPwBal7l4

The release date seems to be early-mid May, so I'll probably go see it on my birthday. Anyone else who might go see it?

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A bolt of brilliance!

Needs more Danny DeVito as Pikachu though :p

Joking aside, I must admit I was very skeptical when I first heard rumors of this movie. It seemed like a disaster waiting to happen. When the first trailer came out I wasn't fully convinced, but at least it looked like it could be fun and enjoyable. Now that I've had some time to think about it as well as having the 2nd trailer released and getting a better look at it I'm actually a little excited to watch it. Still not sure on some of the realistic Pokemon designs. Psyduck in the first trailer and Aipom in the second trailer looked kinda scary haha.

I think the hardest part of watching this movie was trying to convince a friend to watch it with me but it looks like I have some friends willing to see it opening night with me. Whether they hate the idea of the movie and are just watching ironically or not doesn't matter to me as long as I get to see it haha.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think the hardest part of watching this movie was trying to convince a friend to watch it with me but it looks like I have some friends willing to see it opening night with me. Whether they hate the idea of the movie and are just watching ironically or not doesn't matter to me as long as I get to see it haha.

Yeah, I'm not sure yet if I'll be dragging anyone with me or if I'll enjoy this one in solitude, haha!

Still not sure on some of the realistic Pokemon designs. Psyduck in the first trailer and Aipom in the second trailer looked kinda scary haha.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:09:53 AM by Mumbling »

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Honestly, this looks amazing. I just hope people give it a chance. Go see this instead of that horrid upcoming "Sonic" movie.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Look how freaky that thing looks!  :opetrie :p

As for Psyduck, I think its eyes make it look off in a realistic style

Honestly, this looks amazing. I just hope people give it a chance. Go see this instead of that horrid upcoming "Sonic" movie.
Oh yeah...that movie...not off to a good start is it?  :PAli

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
OK yeah, I totally missed the Aipom first time around, that's a very accurate portrayal though, haha!

Also, I didn't mean to put a big ? in my last post. I guess the image I copied off Google did not like being hosted elsewhere. Fixed that now!

I hope this movie will end up in 'decent movie adaptations of video games', unlike many others.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Just wanted to chime in here and say that wow, this was a blast of a time. The narrative's a little rough, as is anyone who isn't Ryan Renolds, but the visuals and energy and designs were a blast. Easily one of the most creative big budget films of the year, and a risk I hope to see taken more often!