The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Remastered Sequels?

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So Hypno brought up on discord that the sequels might have a remastered version for the more recently released iterations and I was asked to post some pictures since I have the most recent 14 box set. I also have 1 - 13 on my hard-drive from around 2010 when my friend torrented them so I decided to include them as well as a comparison (I'm not sure what version it is however). Additionally, for the DVDs I used both VLC and PowerDVD8 (which must be some default software?).

The order they're presented in are:
2010 download
box set DVD ran with VLC
and finally ran with PowerDVD8.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
All right then...yep, it seems Universal did decide to remaster the sequels :)

Edit: Actually, I’m unsure. Could you try getting some screencaps of post-art shift films (VII-XIII) and see if they have any differences?

Edit 2: I can confirm that my friend did not edit the screencaps he took. Here is an example image:

http://landbeforetime.wikia.com/wiki/File:Plates_slashes_Papa_in_the_snout.png?file=Plates_slashes_Papa_in_the_snout.png

He used VLC the whole time for the screencaps.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 07:54:37 PM by Hypno »
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Man, that error in the third picture of the first trio of pictures...

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Man, that error in the third picture of the first trio of pictures
It is a little jarring when trying to go frame by frame, though it happens fast enough in real time that you don't notice it.

Actually, I’m unsure. Could you try getting some screencaps of post-art shift films (VII-XIII) and see if they have any differences?
So far I'm still unconvinced. I compared it to the copies I have downloaded more out of curiosity then proof since I don't know their origins. For all I know it could be from a TV capture off of a VHS. I also found it interesting how different the images compared when running the DVD with different software and included it in case your friend might have used something else to cause it to look better. Knowing that he also uses VLC can help narrow things down I think.

As for later films I can certainly get more screen captures. If you got any specific ones in mind I can do those. If not, I'll just pick some random ones.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Interesting results there :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Every image I’ve seen looked like the downloaded ones up until recent, maybe 2016, when someone else started uploading these better quality images.

I asked him if he used PowerDVD8 and he said he doesn’t have a clue what that is and insists that he used VLC the whole time. His images look about the same as the DVD capture you posted but maybe slightly better, but nowhere near the PowerDVD8 quality.

I’d say it didn’t really matter what images you get. But post at least one sharptooth image please :p
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:06:15 PM by Hypno »
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd say it didn't really matter what images you get. But post at least one sharptooth image please :p
Haha alright I can do that. I think I'll just stick to VLC this time around

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I got some shots from 7,8,9 and the results are not as noticeable with the earlier sequels. The order is the same as before, old then new, with PowerDVD being excluded this time.

It's really hard to tell, but the DVD does look the slightest bit clearer, but only really noticeable when swapping between shots blown up to full screen. There's only a few differences that can be seen with the way they are now, such as two stars above Littlefoot's neck in the first screen and the lines on the roof of the swimming sharptooth's mouth being more visible.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
My friend watched VI and VII, and he also said and showed that there was barely a difference. So I guess if these are remasters Universal decided that VI - XIII already look good enough so they didn’t need to remaster them (I definitely think they should’ve remastered VI though for sure)

So does everyone believe those II - V images are remasters now?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:59:31 PM by Hypno »

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hypno on Jan 28 2018, 06:58:47 PM
So does everyone believe those II - V images are remasters now?
I sure do.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Yeah, I don't see any distinct difference with the newest set of photos...