The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Embarrassing

Nimrod · 268 · 35412

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
For me it was emberrassing for a long time. I don¥t know why, but it was. But with the time I had been more and more open for LBT.

What¥s about you?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Hehe.  This is probably not the best place to put this topic, but since what's done is done and the admins can move it later, I see no harm in responding.

I got into LBT again when I was 13.  I found it terribly embarrassing.  I would have all the LBT movies and songs on my laptop and ipod and I would encrypt them while at school so no one knew what they were.  School was pure hell for me in the beginning cuz I was so obsessed that I wanted to watch it and do things with it all the time.  I even had some picutures of the gang on my laptop and I'd go into the bathroom in lunch to look at them and remind myself "Only 3 hours ti'll you get to watch another LBT film".

I guess you could say it was unhealthy.  My school work suffered a bit because of it.  I would do B+ work instead of my normal A work.  It took about 3 months for me to be able to go through school without constantly thinking of LBT.

I am really okay with it now.  In the beginning, I decided to see how the public would react to my lbt obsession that weren't around me.  I would go into stores watching LBT movies on my laptop.  I'd get some pretty strange looks, but no comments.

I was scared to reveal my LBT obsession to the kids in my school.

I finally decided I couldn't keep living my life like this.  Now I say, if they think I'm stupid for liking it, screw 'em.  If they wanna fight me cuz of it, bring it on!  I could pound anyone in my school without lifting a finger except for a select few, but they have way too much class to ever get into fights.  I don't have any friends in real life anyways, so I don't care what anyone thinks anymore.  If they don't accept the fact that I like LBT, that's their problem and they're gonna have to live with it.  If I do end up going to school at the same school next year, I'm gonna watch LBT vids on the bus and keep my cool LBT background on my laptop for all to see.  I honestly don't care anymore.  I can't live a lie any longer.  I have purposefully searched IP's looking for kids my age who are in the camano island/stanwood area and have located 4 classmates so far.  I have informed all of them about my LBT obsession and they seem to think it's not too strange.

My message to everyone here now is:

I AM WHO I AM.  NO ONE'S GONNA CHANGE THAT!

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 13 2007 on  04:10 AM
Hehe.  This is probably not the best place to put this topic, but since what's done is done and the admins can move it later, I see no harm in responding.

I got into LBT again when I was 13.  I found it terribly embarrassing.  I would have all the LBT movies and songs on my laptop and ipod and I would encrypt them while at school so no one knew what they were.  School was pure hell for me in the beginning cuz I was so obsessed that I wanted to watch it and do things with it all the time.  I even had some picutures of the gang on my laptop and I'd go into the bathroom in lunch to look at them and remind myself "Only 3 hours ti'll you get to watch another LBT film".

I guess you could say it was unhealthy.  My school work suffered a bit because of it.  I would do B+ work instead of my normal A work.  It took about 3 months for me to be able to go through school without constantly thinking of LBT.

I am really okay with it now.  In the beginning, I decided to see how the public would react to my lbt obsession that weren't around me.  I would go into stores watching LBT movies on my laptop.  I'd get some pretty strange looks, but no comments.

I was scared to reveal my LBT obsession to the kids in my school.

I finally decided I couldn't keep living my life like this.  Now I say, if they think I'm stupid for liking it, screw 'em.  If they wanna fight me cuz of it, bring it on!  I could pound anyone in my school without lifting a finger except for a select few, but they have way too much class to ever get into fights.  I don't have any friends in real life anyways, so I don't care what anyone thinks anymore.  If they don't accept the fact that I like LBT, that's their problem and they're gonna have to live with it.  If I do end up going to school at the same school next year, I'm gonna watch LBT vids on the bus and keep my cool LBT background on my laptop for all to see.  I honestly don't care anymore.  I can't live a lie any longer.  I have purposefully searched IP's looking for kids my age who are in the camano island/stanwood area and have located 4 classmates so far.  I have informed all of them about my LBT obsession and they seem to think it's not too strange.

My message to everyone here now is:

I AM WHO I AM.  NO ONE'S GONNA CHANGE THAT!
Yeah, that is really nice, how you said it. I began, too, to tell it some people over the PC and looked, what they say. Some people found it a bit strange, but yes, you said it, that¥s there problem. I have a good friend, here in my town. At home, he has a piano, very nice, I thought. How some people here know, I learned to play If we hold on together at the piano. So I thought, I play it by my friend. He found it quite nice. I asked him, do you know this song. He said, yes, anywhere sure. I told him that it¥s from the land before time and told him that I like the LBT. He didn¥t find it strange, he found it okey. So I try to say it the people which are my friends. These people, which aren¥t my friends mustn¥t know it -_- . But your sentence I think it¥s very nice landbeforetimelover. It say excactly this, what I¥m thinking. :yes

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
You have to get open about it sooner or later, especially when a new movie or some other merchandise comes out, and you have to go to check-out with it. Unless, of course, you order it online, but I prefer the old fashioned way. :^.^: I't not always something I want to tell, but sometimes, I just have to. And all the times I've needed to, I've never gotten any witty remarks about it.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I too, started to watch LBT again around 13, but the only difference is that a friend helped me get back into LBT. (not sure who actually mentioned to watch the movie) So I guess I got lucky that i had a friend that liked LBT with me. Since then i have about 9 friends who know that i like LBT, 4 of which like the movies or don't mind watching them and 4 who don't like LBT and 1 who used to like it but doesn't like it now. Those 5 friends that don't like it don't really care that i like LBT and i don't think they have ever really mentioned it unless me one of my friends that like it start talking about LBT.

Unless, of course, you order it online, but I prefer the old fashioned way.
I buy LBT in stores as well.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Ohhh I had a feeling this would come up eventually....but yeah I too was embarrased when I used to watch LBT, but during Elementry school, and High school that subject NEVER came up unless me and my friends were walking home...and even today at least three of my friends still mock me about liking LBT....but I just sit back and smile....before I start talking smack! :lol:

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
nah, I mean, I don't like flaunt it or anything, but if people find out I don't care... it's my choice, not theirs...

Littlefoot

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://Closed!
I don’t find Land Before Time embarrassing. I think that if you are a fan of something you must be proud of this no matter the others opinions.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I recall that in the beginning I had a somewhat awkward feeling when rediscovering the land before time at an age where most people tend to regard LBT as merely for young children. I did not make up much of a pretence though. My family knew about my enthusiasm for LBT from the begining and while not prancing about with my enthusiasm for LBT anyone at school who wanted to know could have found out about it (I was drawing the characters, carving a soapstone Cera in the art lesson, and didn't deny the LBT references to anyone asking about it).
My work at school was not influenced in any negative way by my enthusiasm for LBT.
I would go into stores watching LBT movies on my laptop. I'd get some pretty strange looks, but no comments.
No offence meant, but I find it stranger to carry around a laptop in general to watch movies while walking around than whatever movie it may be. Carrying around a laptop to watch movies while walking may not only create the image of the carrier to be extremely TV addicted, but people may also feel that the person in question means to show off with the own laptop.
I don't have any friends in real life anyways, so I don't care what anyone thinks anymore. If they don't accept the fact that I like LBT, that's their problem and they're gonna have to live with it.
Of course I cannot be certain without having ever get a first hand impression from your situation. But from everything that you write I am almost convinced that it is not your enthusiasm for LBT that causes a lack of friends in real live. Carrying around a laptop to watch movies while walking around is one example for a kind of behaviour which might put off people who wouldn't have any problem whatsoever with your enthusiasm for LBT.
I AM WHO I AM. NO ONE'S GONNA CHANGE THAT!
Not even yourself? There are times when I think that sometimes to change is the only possible way to remain loyal and faithful to oneself.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 14 2007 on  01:06 AM
I recall that in the beginning I had a somewhat awkward feeling when rediscovering the land before time at an age where most people tend to regard LBT as merely for young children. I did not make up much of a pretence though. My family knew about my enthusiasm for LBT from the begining and while not prancing about with my enthusiasm for LBT anyone at school who wanted to know could have found out about it (I was drawing the characters, carving a soapstone Cera in the art lesson, and didn't deny the LBT references to anyone asking about it).
My work at school was not influenced in any negative way by my enthusiasm for LBT.
I would go into stores watching LBT movies on my laptop. I'd get some pretty strange looks, but no comments.
No offence meant, but I find it stranger to carry around a laptop in general to watch movies while walking around than whatever movie it may be. Carrying around a laptop to watch movies while walking may not only create the image of the carrier to be extremely TV addicted, but people may also feel that the person in question means to show off with the own laptop.
I don't have any friends in real life anyways, so I don't care what anyone thinks anymore. If they don't accept the fact that I like LBT, that's their problem and they're gonna have to live with it.
Of course I cannot be certain without having ever get a first hand impression from your situation. But from everything that you write I am almost convinced that it is not your enthusiasm for LBT that causes a lack of friends in real live. Carrying around a laptop to watch movies while walking around is one example for a kind of behaviour which might put off people who wouldn't have any problem whatsoever with your enthusiasm for LBT.
I AM WHO I AM. NO ONE'S GONNA CHANGE THAT!
Not even yourself? There are times when I think that sometimes to change is the only possible way to remain loyal and faithful to oneself.
Your answers on my question were very nice and I am happy that much people think like I think over LBT :yes

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I've never been embarrassed about LBT, myself. If anyone had a problem with me liking the series, then tough. They'd just have to live with it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am almost convinced that it is not your enthusiasm for LBT that causes a lack of friends in real live

Of course not.  I never meant to give that impression.  The main reason for having no friends is I  have no common interests with anyone in my area.  I have tons of friends online.

I find it stranger to carry around a laptop in general to watch movies while walking around than whatever movie it may be. Carrying around a laptop to watch movies while walking may not only create the image of the carrier to be extremely TV addicted, but people may also feel that the person in question means to show off with the own laptop.

I don't pretend to know what life is like in Germany, but it's obviously very different from here.  A lot of people carry laptops around with them to all the stores here.  Almost all stores have wifi access.  No one thinks I'm trying to "show off" with the laptop.  Honestly, who cares?  I'm not tv addicted, just LBT addicted. :P: Carrying a laptop around is only abnormal at school, but I have to do it.  Without my laptop, I'm lost.

I cannot change who I am as a person.  I cannot change the fact that I like and dislike things just cuz I want to.  I can pretend, but I'll always be the same person no matter  how much cosmetic work I do to myslef or my image.  No one can change the fact that I like LBT.  They can try to make me feel like crap for liking it, but they cannot stop me from truely liking it.  You cannot change yourself as a person.  If change does occur, it's not because you forced yourself to like or dislike something, you got in or out of it at your own time.  I suppose someone could stop me from liking LBT by killing me, but that wouldn't be practical, thank god.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't pretend to know what life is like in Germany, but it's obviously very different from here. A lot of people carry laptops around with them to all the stores here. Almost all stores have wifi access. No one thinks I'm trying to "show off" with the laptop. Honestly, who cares? I'm not tv addicted, just LBT addicted. Carrying a laptop around is only abnormal at school, but I have to do it. Without my laptop, I'm lost.

I must disagree with you. I've been to many stores in my life, and I've never seen anyone with laptops walking around in stores. Oh I might have seen someone sitting down in a cafe passing the time, but still, seeing someone watching movies, or doing anything, on a laptop is very rare for me. People who work for whatever store I'm in may have a laptop out, but it's strictly for business, not watching movies.

People watching movies in stores might be common where you are, but it certainly isn't common anywhere I've been.

I cannot change who I am as a person. I cannot change the fact that I like and dislike things just cuz I want to. I can pretend, but I'll always be the same person no matter how much cosmetic work I do to myslef or my image. No one can change the fact that I like LBT. They can try to make me feel like crap for liking it, but they cannot stop me from truely liking it. You cannot change yourself as a person. If change does occur, it's not because you forced yourself to like or dislike something, you got in or out of it at your own time. I suppose someone could stop me from liking LBT by killing me, but that wouldn't be practical, thank god.

Actually, one can indeed change who they are, they can change what they like, what they don't like. You certainly can change yourself as well. I've changed many times growing up. We all do. It's a natural part of life. No one is the same exact person as they were when they were, oh say, six or seven years old. Changing oneself is an important step in becoming a mature adult, in my opinion.

Changing oneself is not easy, of course. But it is not impossible.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 14 2007 on  05:40 AM
I don't pretend to know what life is like in Germany, but it's obviously very different from here.  A lot of people carry laptops around with them to all the stores here.  Almost all stores have wifi access.  No one thinks I'm trying to "show off" with the laptop.  Honestly, who cares?  I'm not tv addicted, just LBT addicted. :P: Carrying a laptop around is only abnormal at school, but I have to do it.  Without my laptop, I'm lost.
If I had a dollar for every time I saw someone in a store with a laptop doing anything, much less watching a movie, I'd be a very poor person.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
actually... in my neighborhood I think I'm the only one (and I'm by no means wealthy) who can afford a laptop... so seeing someone in a store with a laptop would be extremely uncommon

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Laptops are extremely common here.  Especially in the age groups 7-30.  I've seen 7 year olds watching movies on brand new laptops in stores and on the street.  No one here can really live without one.  Most people here work online and a tremendous amount of young people bring them along for the sole purpose of entertainment.  

If I got a penny every ten people I see with laptops, I'd be a millionaire.  Men with laptops are almost as common as women with purses here.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
To swing this back into topic, sometimes, our "friends" can mock us for liking something targeted towards "tweens." However, a more serious matter would be how do our relatives and family take us liking LBT? What do our families say to it?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My mom loves to watch it with me! :D

My aunt knows about it, but she doesn't think much about me still having this obsession.

My uncle doesn't know.  He'd think I'm stupid, I'm sure.  He's never gonna find out if I can help it. <_<

My grandma would think it was wonderful, but I haven't told her yet.  I dunno why.

My cousin knows about it and likes it too, but he's 7 and more interested in...ummm...let's just say he's not into it cuz of the reasons I am.  I'm not gonna elaborate on this issue on the board but if ya want more details, PM or email me.  I don't think ya wanna know though. <_<

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 14 2007 on  03:10 PM
My mom loves to watch it with me! :D

My aunt knows about it, but she doesn't think much about me still having this obsession.

My uncle doesn't know.  He'd think I'm stupid, I'm sure.  He's never gonna find out if I can help it. <_<

My grandma would think it was wonderful, but I haven't told her yet.  I dunno why.

My cousin knows about it and likes it too, but he's 7 and more interested in...ummm...let's just say he's not into it cuz of the reasons I am.  I'm not gonna elaborate on this issue on the board but if ya want more details, PM or email me.  I don't think ya wanna know though. <_<
Only my mother know it, sometimes she does a joke about that, but that¥s okey. She said to me, it mustn¥t be amberrassing for you. It gives things which you like and things which you hate, so nobody can change your interests or what you like.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I wouldn't think for a second you can't change who you are.  You can.  Its stubbornness and unwillingness (and perhaps fear) that prevents it, but you can.