The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

RIP David Bowie

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sadly, David Bowie, the famed pop music singer and song-writer, died today after an 18 month battle with liver cancer.

Although I typically am not a fan of pop music, I became deeply infatuated with his music from a relatively young age.  I, like many other people, were first drawn in with his popular hits, such as Let's Dance and Space Oddity, but I soon became acquainted with his more cerebral songs that touched upon the nature of human existence.  

In the song Cygnet Committee touched upon his relationship with the hippy movement and, from his perspective, how they began to use the very methods that they were originally fighting against.  It serves as a powerful reminder of how any movement can be corrupted if it turns against the empathy of its original humanistic ideals.  His video for his final song, Lazarus, was posted by Vevo just four days ago.  In this final song, which was clearly meant as a final farewell to his fans, I was able to see this man's ability to convey ideas through the medium of music and videography one last time.  In the video we see one character (played by Bowie) on his deathbed, with the specter of death (a dark character) rising from under the bed to take him.  Then in his second character we see a man desperately writing things down as his frail body begins to fail, a final attempt to write down those unwritten ideas which death will soon obscure forever.  And then finally the character in black, after finally finishing what he was writing, slowly backs into the closet (representing a coffin) with a look of grim determination on his face, and closes the door.  It stands as a final remarkable message to his fans that he had completed his final song and that he was content.  Thus, for me, his final work stays with me as one of the most poignant reflections upon the human experience from this man, and as a remarkable final gift to his fans.

May he rest in peace.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
A tragic loss of a great artist. Even in the end he still managed to go out gracefully, keeping his disease quiet, releasing a new album and going out on top.

Voices like his will live on in our collective consciousness forever, and he will never be forgotten. The first song I’ve ever heard from him was Heroes, and ever since he was a steady presence in all my playlists.

This tweet I saw this morning basically sums it all up:

“If you're ever sad, just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.”
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
one of the greatest icons of the 70s, his voice was one of a generation, yet he never rested on his laurels, and continued to push musical boundaries. Madonna- no stranger to changing musical styles  herself- paid tribute to him by saying he was the first concert she ever saw as a youth in Michigan. I would compare Bowie to Prince a musical genius who did things his own way.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
a sad loss.  I do hope his family & friends are doing as well as can be expected.