The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

R.I.P Tyrus Wong

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Tyrus Wong, the leading background artist of Bambi, died yesterday at the age of 106. He was the second to last living crew member of the film (the last is animator Don Lusk) and his impact on the film was immense. His paintings created the whole look of the film, turning the planned very detailed description of the forest into a mystical, beautiful place that we can see in the film.

Marc Davis said later that Wong's influence made the film, bringing a solution to the much-sought artistic style of the film. As Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston wrote in their book "Bambi: The Story and the Film": Here at last was the beauty of Salten's writing, created not in a script or with character development, but in paintings that captured the poetic feeling that had eluded us for so long." The two  legends gave Wong enormous credit in their book, saying that his influence was one of the things that made Bambi the masterpiece it is.

The last survivors of Disney's Golden Age are fading fast. Bambi is my second favorite animated film of all time and the most beautiful-looking, very much because of this great artist's influence. His passing is a huge loss for animation. Rest in Peace, Tyrus Wong, you will be missed.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Oh, come on... The end of the year is like hours away. <_<

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Sorry to hear of his passing, though he certainly lived a long life!
The backgrounds and layouts were always what I loved most about Bambi, and were definitely what I thought brought it closest to the feel of the original book. While I certainly love the movie, and it's wonderful in its own right, the rest of it didn't capture the same feeling at all.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
People he lived a long life it's sad but you have to move on with your life.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Coyote_A,Dec 31 2016 on  01:07 PM
Oh, come on... The end of the year is like hours away. <_<
2016 just HAD to claim one last "death of a great", huh?

Let us all hope 2017 is better. -_-

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Doubt that people are still gonna die in 2017. You can't stop death you known. Hope he rests in peace