The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Meaning of the LBT characters' names

action9000 · 122 · 42269

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Lilfut,Dec 24 2009 on  10:00 PM
ActionWHAT9000?! already posted that.
Well I'm too lazy to read the older posts, so I wouldn't know. :nyah:

Karmarsi

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://karmarsi-kedamoki.deviantart.com
Maybe Tippy got his name due to being a spiketail like Spike. Basically when they grow up they will have spikes on them that end with tips  :p

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Ooh! ooh! I got one!

I've heard alot of people say that Doc's name comes from "Duke", which was apparently John Wayne's nickname, as well as his species named "DiploDOCus". I'd guess it's a combination of the 2.

And yes, I think Tricia's name is just taking the TRI from TRIceratops and making it sound more like a name.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Rhett could be a reference to Rhett Butler from Gone With The Wind. Rhett Butler was a very boastful and manipulative character, at least before he got married to Miss Scarlett.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
I'm not sure if this mecessarily means anything, or if it even was deliberate, but Guido's name is, as well as being obviously derived from his species, Microraptor Gui, an American slang term for an Italian immigrant. Now, am I the only person who thinks that Guido has an ever so slight Italian-American accent?

Bruton the Iguanodon

He is the largest of the tiny dinosaurs, and apparently the father of at least some of the tiny longnecks, hence his name.

Really? I've read on one site that he's the smallest of them. Weird.

I don't know if anyone already know this, but...

Tria + Cera + Topsy = Triceratops

dino_tongue.gif

Yes, MarzGurl pointed that out.  :smile

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
I knew this already except for the Littlefoot one.  That suprised me.  Is there any proof that his original name was going to be thunderfoot, however.

Bruton the Iguanodon

If I missed any, let me know

You missed Tricia, I think

I'd hate to think Ozzie got his name from that British dude. 

Now that's a funny idea!  :lol

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You all know how Petrie is a fearful character? Even in movie one, he even clutched Littlefoot, immobilized with fear. Well, there is a word that has that definition: petrified. Let's take a close look at that word: PETRIfiEd. Take those capitalized words, and you have Petrie, someone who is often petrified with terror. I can even see him being afraid of things as soon as he was hatched, thus his parents (or just mother) naming him that. I think it's a fairly reasonable speculation.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Wow, interesting! I never thought of that!

But what do you mean by "even in movie 1"?

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
If an attribute did not take place in the first movie, I do not have a leg to stand on when I present a possibly theory for an aspect of a character's creation. If Petrie was scared in all the movies except for the first one, and being as there was not originally a plan to make sequels, my suggestion would not be plausible.

rKrizik

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Very interesting! =) A lot of characters' name origins are fairly obvious, but others are less so. Until reading the list, I had never even heard of Rinkus or Sierras' species. For the most art, I thought some of the characters' names were just randomly chosen and not connected with their species, or much of anything else.
I honestly can't think of any certain connection with Ali's name. It's possible it was just chosen without having been based off of anything.

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Quote from: AnimeLover,Jun 28 2009 on  05:34 AM
Nod Is A Reference To A Nodosaurus?
Yes, it is. I like Hyp, Mutt and Nod in Land Before Time 3. I have never seen Nod's family, Mutt's mother and Hyp's mother. :lol  :DD  :p  :blink:  :smile
I like to watch Dino Squad, Street Sharks, Sabrina's Secret Life, Extreme Dinosaurs, Sonic Underground, Transformers Prime, Power Rangers, Yugioh, Phineas and Ferb, Digimon, Cardfight Vanguard, Land Before Time (14 Films and TV Series) and I like to play Zuma Deluxe

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://rosethethief.deviantart.com/
Quote from: action9000,Apr 20 2006 on  10:16 PM
Ozzie - Currently unknown origin.  Any thoughts?
Just taking a wild guess on this one, but the Struthiomimus is a descendant of the Ostrich, and Ostrich farming is common in Australia. And Ozzy just so happens to be an Australian slang term.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, Pterano I think is Pteranodon.  

Ruby's name was going to be "Ovie".  However, her name might have something to do with her coloring.  

Ali's name is a mystery.  (Perhaps she was set to marry and then divorce Littlefoot and the name meant "ALImony".   :lol )

Yes, I heard the Thunderfoot thing too.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Was going to mention that Doc's name may come from his species but see that someone already did, upon closer inspection.  I had quoted someone and had replied to it but now see that they mentioned it in the quote.

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
  • AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB
    • View Profile
Littlefoot was going to be Thuderfoot, but there was already a Triceratops in a book who was named Thunderfoot. So LBT Thunderfoot became Littlefoot.

In movie X, Bron says that he was called Littlefoot as a kid...but that movie was made way after the first one  :lol
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

Major kudos to anyone who figures out what that means :)

I will find ways to make sure “lol dino” is in all of my posts :lol

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Littlefoot: Native American style name like “Sitting Bull”
Cera: Tri(cera)tops
Petrie: from Petra meaning Rock in Aramaic, hence St. Peter the Apostle
Ducky: Duckbill Dinosaur
Spike: Named after the Stegosaurus’ main weapon, spikes on the tail.
Ruby: Rubies, her coloring, rubies are semi-precipus stone that are red and yet give off pink colors too.
Chomper: Named after his distinct Sharptooth bite, to chomp. Thankfully Shingeru Miramoto has not sued over the fact that one of the Super Mario Bros. antagonists is chomper, a large or little black orb with sharp teeth and eyes that is a dog in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Wild Arms: Named for his wild Italiano hand gestures when talking.
Topsy: Mr. Threehorn’s nickname derives from his weakness of being top heavy and falling over and unable to get up. :D
Ali: Apatosaurus Lady-isaur
Pterano: Terror, Tyrant, Pterosaur

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

00not_nathan00

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • instagram
I thought Petrie was called Petrie because hes a pterosaur
Still waiting for the bluth cut

Ali sounds similar to ALamosaurus - another species of Longneck. Perhaps that's a link?