The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I Need Help...

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
Not sure if anyone here would be interested, but just in case. For some reason, I'm feeling very anxious about this thread and I don't know why... :unsure:

Anyway, just the other night, I had another one of my “I-can-fly!” dreams. When that happens, I’m almost always in a form of a bat. But in this dream, I was a lot more anthropomorphic and it inspired me to make an OC. Problem is, I can’t decide on a coat pattern! I took some of my favorite bat species and colored my character based on each bat. I managed to slim down the choice to four, but now I’m stuck. So now I turn to you guys to help me decide and vote which one I should go with.

As reference for the drawing, I turned to the Spider-Man character of Batwing. This is practically the only time I will show these different choices in public, so feel free to give feedback to one or each if you want. The fur-color with the most votes here and among my other friends and family will be the one submitted to Deviant Art and used in my stories.

Here we go... :

This one’s based off one of my favorite (and in my personal opinion, the cutest) of all little batties: The Honduran White Bat (Theyëre cotton balls with wings!). I love how white the coat is, while at the same time how colorful it is. I can see some advantages to my character having this coat. Being as white as she is, her coloration can depend on the color of light around her. And her living in New York, her coat can help her hide when it starts snowing.

I had particular fun coloring this one. Here, she’s based off the Hoary Bat. I’m very fond of the tri-color of the coat: orange at the base, dark gray in the middle, and tipped with glistening silver. Again, there’s advantages to this coat. The Hoary bat is particularly adapted to the cold; they’re so fluffy, even their wings and tail is furred, something I incorporated here. That should help when New York’s winter comes around.

The Tent-Making Bat was inspiration for this one. I wanted to have at least one coat that’s typical for a bat: just shades of brown. This coat has the added bonus of having bold stripes on the face and back at the same time. I see an advantage to this coat too. The dark coat can help her hide in the night, and the stripes help break up her outline. That’s useful as she certainly doesn’t want to be spotted too often by people.

This one was more of an obligation than anything. My sister insisted this be part of the ëfinales’, as the Flying Fox is her favorite bat. I obliged, giving the character the coat typical of the Flying Fox family, while adding the flare of Spectacled Flying Fox, my favorite one in the group. The advantages to this coat is essentially the same as the advantages of the previous picture.

Personally, I’m leaning more towards the first and second picture (and even then, I can’t choose between them). Anywho, please help me out here; the tough decision-making is hurting my brain!  :lol:

Oh, and if anyone’s interested (which somehow I doubt...), I’m willing to share information about this character.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The 2nd looks best to me.  The colors work well together and it's rather enjoyable to look at.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thank you for giving your vote, pokeplayer! I really appreciate it! I'm glad you enjoyed looking at these and took the time to reply!  :)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
They all look really good, but I'm going to go with the second one as well. I really like the silver hair effect you gave it, and like pokeplayer said the overall colour scheme works well.

From the expression on your character's face, I'm guessing she's a bit of a scaredy - cat?

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Awesome! A lot of people seem to be liking that one and I don't blame them! The silver hair effect was the funnest part of the drawing, which was also the hardest one to color!

Yeah, she is a bit of a scaredy-cat...er....bat. She used to be a social butterfly that dreamed of being a zoologist. She was fascinated with bats, but never thought she would be forced to become like this. Now she has trust issues and is plenty scared of people.

Anyway, thanks for giving your two cents, too, bushwacked! I'm glad the pics interested you enough to ask a question! :DD

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The first looks a bit too naked. I'd have to say the third one, the solid brown coat has a Marvel/DC look to it that gives the character continuity.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
The first looks a bit too naked.

Probably to do with the white fur on white background. But rest assured, she isn’t anymore naked than the other drawings :lol .

In all seriousness though, thank you for replying, LBT (Wow, I only now just notice that your abbreviations are the same as Land Before Time’s! Cool!!) and sharing that little piece of insight on comic book continuity. I guess it’s pretty obvious that the first story this character will be used in will be a Spider-Man story! :DD

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Wow, this is surprisingly hard. I definitely think you should go with one of the first two, but I can't decide which one I would recommend more. The way you applied the Honduran white bat pattern looks really good to me. I like the contrast of colors, and the uniqueness of the concept; nearly every other bat you see in popular media (barring a few outlandishly hued cartoon examples) are is either gray, brown, or black. The one thing that I feel is missing from this pattern is the yellow nose leaf that is so distinctive of the Honduran white bat (which, I admit, might be difficult to incorporate into the character design and still look good), unless you were thinking of waiting to add that characteristic until after you had received opinions on which overall color scheme looked best.

I'm also rather intrigued by the character's hair; that is, the hair on her head, specifically the portion that has remained what I assume to be the color it was when she was human. Even though the hair is the same in all four patterns, I especially like it here because of the way it stands out against the rest of her coloration. (WARNING: I'm about to get philosophical and probably read way too much into this. :P: I apologize in advance.) In a way it seems sort of symbolic of her transformation: the brown hair is a remnant of her former life as a human, but from the looks of things, that color is eventually going to grow out and disappear, just as she has changed irreversibly, and it is inevitable that she must live a completely different life. (Did any of that NOT sound completely insane? :rolleyes) But like I said, that symbolism of the hair could go for any of these patterns.

The other pattern that I really liked was the one based on the hoary bat. The brown coat with the silver-tipped hairs looks awesome, as does the rest of the coloration, although that light brown spot on top of her head kind of makes her look like she has a bald patch. :lol Hoary bats, as far as I know, are rather variable in their coloration (due to there being several subspecies across a very wide range), so if you wanted to remedy this issue, you could easily change that patch of hair to a different color, such as the "frosted" brown of her main body. The facial colors also look a bit different from most hoary bat pictures I've seen, but the gradient from light to dark brown is very well done.

I, for one, would love to hear more about the character. :yes Not only am I curious, but I'm wondering if it may help my decision. I can imagine some reasons for why the hoary bat design might be preferable (since the character lives in New York City, would it make more sense for her to become a North American bat?), but at the same time I keep leaning toward the Honduran white bat pattern… :wacko All things being equal, I guess I'd tentatively vote for the Honduran white bat, with the hoary bat a close second.

P.S. If anyone wanted to know what an actual Honduran white bat looks like, I posted a couple of photos of them here a while back. I second FlipperBoidSkua's opinion that they are among the most freaking adorable bats out there. :smile

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Wow! Good to hear from ya again, Pangy! *hugs!!!* I hope things are going better for you the past few days! :)

Anywho, I understand exactly what your saying; the first two were my preferences from the start and I still feel torn about it! Currently, the two are neck-to-neck on the over-all voting and just when I thought one would 'go for the win', the other catches up! :lol I planned to keep the voting open for a week and hope one of these pictures will have the lead. I have a tie-breaker on stand-by, just in case though! :lol I'm certainly glad you were able to make the vote (however tentative it is) before the dead-line!

The one thing that I feel is missing from this pattern is the yellow nose leaf that is so distinctive of the Honduran white bat (which, I admit, might be difficult to incorporate into the character design and still look good), unless you were thinking of waiting to add that characteristic until after you had received opinions on which overall color scheme looked best.

:yes I do plan to add the nose-leaf to the character if the while bat color won out. This was basically a general outline for the color-scheme, and I was planning to add the more distinctive features later (like nose-leafs). I'm not exactly sure if it'll look odd on her or not, but I'll find a way to make it work! :DD

(WARNING: I'm about to get philosophical and probably read way too much into this. :P: I apologize in advance.) In a way it seems sort of symbolic of her transformation: the brown hair is a remnant of her former life as a human, but from the looks of things, that color is eventually going to grow out and disappear, just as she has changed irreversibly, and it is inevitable that she must live a completely different life. (Did any of that NOT sound completely insane? :rolleyes ) But like I said, that symbolism of the hair could go for any of these patterns.

No need to apologize as your deep-ness is completely warranted! :lol: I have no doubt that your symbolism was running through my subconscious when I thought of coloring her hair like this. My logic-brain (I like that word, logic-brain; I'mma use it a lot now! :D ) was basically thinking: "Hair is always growing. Probably make sense that her new growth will take the natural coloration of the bat." It's pretty sad, actually. Like ya said, Pangy, her brown 'human' hair is going to fade away eventually, and with it, her last physical reminder of her humanity... :(

The other pattern that I really liked was the one based on the hoary bat. The brown coat with the silver-tipped hairs looks awesome, as does the rest of the coloration, although that light brown spot on top of her head kind of makes her look like she has a bald patch. Hoary bats, as far as I know, are rather variable in their coloration (due to there being several subspecies across a very wide range), so if you wanted to remedy this issue, you could easily change that patch of hair to a different color, such as the "frosted" brown of her main body.

That patch of color bothers me, certainly, and I'm thinking of ways to remedy it; I'm thinking making it the dark-grey color of the main coat whilst adding the light-brown-ness in individual strands. Once my fingers stop hurting (I'm coloring on photoshop again and it kills my fingers), I'mma try to make the change and see how it goes, perhaps substitute the pic above with it if it goes well.

The facial colors also look a bit different from most hoary bat pictures I've seen, but the gradient from light to dark brown is very well done.

I was using this particular pic for the color-inspiration, including the face  :smile  

Isn't it adorable!!! I apologize if I screwed up! :lol

I, for one, would love to hear more about the character. Not only am I curious, but I'm wondering if it may help my decision. I can imagine some reasons for why the hoary bat design might be preferable (since the character lives in New York City, would it make more sense for her to become a North American bat?), but at the same time I keep leaning toward the Honduran white bat pattern… All things being equal, I guess I'd tentatively vote for the Honduran white bat, with the hoary bat a close second.

I've added your vote to the list, though your always free to change it if you wish (that goes for everyone else, who might be having second-thoughts)! I got this character's full character and history down-packed, and I'll be more than happy to share!!

Her name was once Cameron (nick-name Camie!) and like I stated in another post, she was a very social person with a promising future, being one of the top students in the class. She lived with her parents and her little sister, getting ready to attend college and study up in zoology.

One day, she spotted an ad on the internet for a scientific study concerning bats. She was always interested in the little flying mammals and signed up to volunteer, not knowing what she was really going to get herself into...

When the day of the studies arrived, she went happily and willingly, bringing along her little sister (whom she was baby-sitting at the time) as she was certain the scientists wouldn't mind. That also proved to be a big mistake. Seperated from each other and from the other volunteers, Camie was injected with several strange serums, all the while wondering what this had to do with bats. She assumed the injections were vaccinations to keep her from contracting some weird sickness due to batty contact or something.

Needless to say, she found out that that wasn't the case as she was turned into this creature through a very painful transformation. Understandably, she was horrified by this; the trauma adding onto itself when she learned that she was the only one to have survived the change. The final blow was dealt when she learned her little sister was one of those lost, despite not even being intended as a volunteer in the first place.

After going through enough of her grief, guilt, and trauma, she managed to make an escape, making her way back to home. Along the way, she had a few encounters with other people, all of which reacted to her quite negatively, from running away to trying to flat-out shoot her. That only added more to her distress. Returning home, she wanted comfort from her parents, only to have her heart broken once more when they treated her like a monster and drove her off.

Now cold and alone and frightened beyond all reason, Camie found herself with nowhere to go. Deciding reluctantly that she'll have to make a new life for herself, she gives herself the new name of Chira (inspired by the bat Order name of Chiroptera) and taught herself how to fly. Eventually she wound up in NYC, fleeing from the scientists who were now after her, from the police frequently being called out against her, and from her own painful history. She tried finding a place to live, trying anywhere from the sewers (in the Spider-Man version of her history, the mammal-hating Lizard will make it clear that he doesn't want her anywhere near his 'territory') to the piers (which proved too cold and uncomfortable) to atop the Statue of Liberty (which she thought was too risky). She managed to find refuge in an abandoned building among a small colony of 'fellow' bats (who in turn are understandably frightened of the 'giant' freakish mutant :( ). For food, she tries to make do with what she can get: insects, fruit, even rats and birds if she grew hungry enough. In fact, she often stated to herself how she wouldn't be surprised if she adapted the appetite of a vampire bat as well (little does she know that that's the truth; the scientist made her to have the diet of all bats).

Although she's developed a phobia of humans, she still has her human nature to want to have some resemblance of a human life. She eventually scrapped together a disguise in the form of an over-sized hooded cloak and sunglasses to hide her inhuman (and sensitive) eyes. She also has a crudely-made (you try writing with only thumbs! :DD ) note on the front of the cloak stating "I'M A MUTE", so she won't have to talk to anyone and answer their no-doubt suspecious questions. Not because she couldn't talk; she could still talk just fine, granted her voice has gained a bit of a high-pitched squeak. She just doesn't want to risk people seeing her bizarre set of chompers!

Sometimes, this disguise works long enough for her to get safely to where she wants to go, but most of the time, someone starts figuring out that something's wrong with this girl and she's forced to run off.

But she only does this when she's in desperate need of 'interaction' (however minimal and frightening it is) or has an urgent day-time errand. Most of the time, she flies carefully by night, resting and keeping look-out of danger atop the Empire State Building. Plenty of people have seen her on her nightly ventures and developed a peculiar theory that even makes Chira tilt her head in confusion: with her winged form crouched atop the giant sky-scraper, hidden in the shadows, and her bright-red eyeshine, many of the witnesses claim her to be the Mothman and that she's bringing a prophesy of great disaster. Doesn't help that it's the infamous year of 2012, does it? :lol

That's what I can think of to share. I hope you found it interesting, Pangy! :)

P.S. If anyone wanted to know what an actual Honduran white bat looks like, I posted a couple of photos of them here a while back. I second FlipperBoidSkua's opinion that they are among the most freaking adorable bats out there.

AWWWWWW!!! I die of cuteness every time!! That second pic of that post was the one I used as color reference for Chira's white bat color!!

Oooo!! You even put the vampire bat pic I love so much; it's always the big eyes and the 'smile' that gets me (or is it just me, seeing a smile on that batty's face?)!! Initially, the 'bland brown' color of Chira was gonna be represented with the vampire bat (specifically, the Common species), but the tent-making bat won out in the end!

And look at the little flying fox being groomed with a toothbrush!! AWWWWW!!!

Anyway, it was great hearing from ya again, Pangy. I almost forgot what it felt like to type out a long, satisfying reply! :DD

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Voting is closed now and the winner is..... *drumroll as I look over the results* .....the Hoary Bat coloration! I'd like to thank everyone who voted as I would've never been able to make the decision myself! *hugs everyone*

The thread will still be open to feedback and for any future fanarts I make of this OC. Again, thanks for voting and giving your opinions, I really can't thank you all enough! :)  :)  :)  :)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Glad you chose the Hoary bat look, because that was the one I was going to suggest ;).