The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What could have made the 1st movie better?

Guest · 43 · 9779

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Anyway, back on topic, the one of many things that I think could have made the movie better is having a more in-depth special features on the disc and make the movie slightly longer.

DollFace

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I honestly believe if the movie was never cut it would have been better, but that is my opinion.

Littlefoot Fan 93

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTLover1,Dec 19 2011 on  08:39 PM
3. It's a kid's movie...they can't show death for too long or the G-rating will increase to PG

Lets thing in a modern context. Back in the 1980's movie rating was more strict then than now, so that a event or a quote that might appear in a modern PG kids movie could go as far a an M for example. In modern kids movies, there is more violence, frightening scenes, and if you listen carefully, a few adult references.  

So I will agree with you Bruton; I would of liked to see more time in before and after Littlefoot's mother's death. the shortness of the scene and the far shot disappointed me. I wanted to see Littlefoot in the moments after her death to see his reactions. Apart from an uncut version of the film, the rest of the film was good for me.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Actually, I thought the short, stark nature of the scene as is was very effective.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Believe it or not, one of the reasons that made the first movie unique to me was that the scene of Littlefoot's mother's death was longer than similar scenes in Disney movies, by which I mean they dwelt upon it more.
In The Lion King it seemed that the filmmakers were desperate to get through Mufasa's death scene and onto the introduction of Timon and Pumbaa to lighten up the movie, and the mother death scene in Bambi was immediately followed by cute chirping birds and happy music. Whereas in LBT Littlefoot is depressed for almost the next three scenes he is in!  :o

Anyway, the only thing that I would want to change in the first movie is the scene where Cera and Littlefoot are playing with the "hopper" in the mud puddle. Littlefoot just looks way too big in comparison to Cera (or Cera looks way too small to Littlefoot). This is rather ridiculous nitpicking, but that's the only thing that I'd change about the movie. It's just that good.  :lol:

I do wish that Universal would remaster it for a new home release (maybe a Blu-ray/DVD combo). Because the so-called "Anniversary Edition" seriously looks like they ripped it from a VHS they found at a flea market.  <_< And this is supposed to be the official version!

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Dec 20 2011 on  02:07 AM
3. It's a kid's movie...they can't show death for too long or the G-rating will increase to PG

Still, the scene could have been at least little longer!

6. He went to sulk over his loss in finding the Great Valley. That's why he was alone.

Are you talking about after the fight with Cera in the original cut? Cause yeah, I can understand why he'd be alone there---all his friends had just left him, he felt like his search had been in vain, and so on. In the current version it makes no sense. They had defeated Sharptooth, which should give them motivation, and there wasn't any reason why Littlefoot should have been alone. All in all it's pretty clear the scene belonged in its original form.

8. The valley was brighter so his color was brighter

We see him in the valley in what 11 of the 12 sequels and he's always the right color

11. The movie is 38% beautiful. I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't know what you're talking about...where'd you get the calculation of 38%?!!  :blink:
Why were you so angry with 10? It was just my opinion.

And that wasn't very nice, what you said about 11. I'm pretty sure you knew exactly what I meant.

And then you act as if you're so smart by saying it was a correct estimate.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I guess they could've made the movie a little longer. Uncut or simply other material, don't care. 69 minutes never cut it for me even as a kid.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I think the film is great as is and I think that fans are starting to lose sight of the film they fell in love with to begin with in favor of some supposedly better version they will NEVER see. Hell, we don't even know if any of that lost footage is even worth it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I know it would be. From what we've been told, it all sounds really good. And let's face it, the film does feel too short and incomplete at times.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If you don't know there are these cutted scenes, you more than likely won't even notice that there's something missing. Prior to finding out about the cuts being made, I didn't notice the cuts. Now, with the knowledge of most cutted scenes and what they may or may not have contained, it almost strikes me whenever I watch the movie... like that rock they killed Sharptooth with is still there, Littlefoot is crying after they defeated Sharptooth, first Littlefoot is shown just standing there in awe when he discoveres the Great Valley and then suddenly he's shown running in skidding to a halt with his friends. Besides, there's the weird edit when first the light slowly expands into the valley but then in the middle of the process it's just suddenly all in the light. Also these differences from the soundtrack... sorry but it can't be ignored.
Inactive, probably forever.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I agree with Ducky123. Prior to knowing where the cuts were supposed to be, I didn't really notice them, apart from Littlefoot standing in awe, and then skidding again into the same spot with Petrie on his head.

I do believe some of the cuts would've made the film better, others, like the one's during Sharptooth's first attack, just wouldn't make that much of a difference. Aesthetically perhaps, but only that.

Story wise, I prefer the book's version, where Littlefoot finds the Valley and then runs off to save his friends and show them the way. But that's a personal preference. It doesn't really change the magic of the film.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jan 12 2016 on  04:41 PM
I think the film is great as is and I think that fans are starting to lose sight of the film they fell in love with to begin with in favor of some supposedly better version they will NEVER see. Hell, we don't even know if any of that lost footage is even worth it.
It's not like we're dissatisfied with the film at the end of the day. This thread is just supposed to be hypothetical and allow us to express our thoughts about the film, whatever they may be. Don't rush to judgment there, man.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewOrder,Jan 13 2016 on  06:49 AM
. But that's a personal preference. It doesn't really change the magic of the film.
It makes it better to me.  :smile

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dr. Rex,Jan 31 2016 on  12:32 AM
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jan 12 2016 on  04:41 PM
It's not like we're dissatisfied with the film at the end of the day. This thread is just supposed to be hypothetical and allow us to express our thoughts about the film, whatever they may be. Don't rush to judgment there, man.
I have to agree. Discussing what could have made LBT a better movie and talking about cut scenes isn't really the same thing as being dissatisfied with the finished film and losing sight over it. There is really nothing wrong with discussing what could have been. It is quite possible to both enjoy a film for what it is and being interested in directions it could have taken to be even better without losing sight with what the finished product has to offer.

Hardback247

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
It pains me to think that the movie was actually not supposed to be what it became, because this was one of my all time favorite movies growing up. I had no idea back then.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hardback247,Jan 31 2016 on  06:18 PM
It pains me to think that the movie was actually not supposed to be what it became, because this was one of my all time favorite movies growing up. I had no idea back then.
Yeah, it was pretty shocking to me too. The pains the filmmakers had to go through, and yet it mostly wasn't worth it because of studio pressure.

Hardback247

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
Yeah, it was pretty shocking to me too. The pains the filmmakers had to go through, and yet it mostly wasn't worth it because of studio pressure.

Even so, the movie as it is is still absolutely wonderful.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hardback247,Jan 31 2016 on  09:00 PM

Even so, the movie as it is is still absolutely wonderful.
You got that right. We wouldn't be here if we were dissatisfied with what we've got.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I love it and wouldn't change anything, but if I wasn't a fan and I was a cynical film critic with an ashtray next to my computer and a half-empty bottle of Jack Daniels next to my novel I'd never get published, I'd say that it needed to be longer. The cuts that were made make it pretty short even for an animated movie, and there was room to add more scenes.

cyberbat

• Ruby
    • View Profile
If they were to magically remake this movie, I wouldn't change much other than the whole issue with spikes's size. He need to be shown smaller than the rest and to then have a growth spurt.

I think what could improve this is to make it longer and add a few things such as

1) petri's birth.

2) Littlefoot and Cera after the fight, not just a short cut to Cera' getting them into trouble.  

3) few more action packed running away from shartooth type things that could add to character building between our heros.

4) Make Cera a LIKABLE character. Honestly she is right meanie and acts shelfishly towards everyone! Her only redemption is right at the end and then to see her actually looks sad when Petrie dies. The FIRST time she shows that she cares about anyone. I love how strong willed she is but she needed more fleshing out. And some more time after that so we can like her.

5) some alone time with their families. I would like to see Cera interact within her group and LF have a conversation with his grandparents. Small things like this.

30 extra min would make me happy. Plus to cap it all off the "If we hold on together" song in the endish of the movie. I'm not sure how you could put it into the movie, but I would love to see it play in the background while stuff is happening.

and the some where out there song from An American tail- so good to use here, Maybe if LF wakes up in the middle of the night or something.

Ever see the 'bar bar' movie? IT was about elephants. Well that had a great song that would suit this movie down to the ground. It could play in the background.