The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

10 years on Mars

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ten years ago today (January 24, 2004), the NASA Mars rover named Opportunity landed on Mars. It's mission, to search for evidence of water, was intended to last for only 90 days. To this day, that rover is still operating and in relatively good shape, having traveled more than 24 miles in it's lifetime to date. And it seems unlikely the mission will be ending anytime soon.

I have to say, that is quite impressive. :yes

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is impressive.  I doubt the original designers though it would last this long when they were designing it or when it launched.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It is amazing that the rover has exceeded its expected mission life by as much as it has.  Its success is especially surprising when one considers the huge temperature variations and extreme climatic conditions that exist on the red planet.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not to mention how far the rover is and that it has to figure out things on it's own to a large extent since a round trip communications takes to long for it to be fully remotely controlled.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 That is a very interesting news. I did forget Opportunity was already there for such a long time, considering the extreme conditions on Mars.

Quite outstanding :DD .

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A few days ago, the Opportunity rover passed another significant milestone. It has now become the first man-made object to have traveled the distance of a marathon (over 26 miles (I forget the exact distance)) on another world. And it only took 11 years and 2 months to do that.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls