The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

100,000 posts?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I recently took a quick look at the board statistics on the bottom of the main page, and I noticed that the number of total forum posts had recently passed 92,000. If I remember correctly, it was 90,000 only about a month ago. Because of this, I actually think we could reach 100,000 in no more than a few months if we continue at our current rate.

I think this proves that GOF has become more popular these days than it may have ever been.

What are your thoughts on this?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Actually, we celebrated reaching 50,000 posts only a few months ago.  I think it was like 3-4 months actually.  We are certainly becoming more and more popular.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm sure once we do hit 100,000 Petrie will make some sort of announcement, even if someone else beats him to it.   It'll be quiet a milestone I think.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think that we should save the 100,000th post for someone.
It could be like a Member Award, but without the little picture in the signature.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: lbt/cty_lover,Apr 5 2008 on  04:44 PM
I think that we should save the 100,000th post for someone.
It could be like a Member Award, but without the little picture in the signature.
Hmm seems like a good idea.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Maybe, but it'll be difficult to decide who gets that magic post.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
You can't prove who hits the button to make the 100,000th post unless you're entirely alone when it happens....

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess the program doesn't keep a log?   I guess Petrie made the first post.  It could have been interesting if you could tell, to have a record of the first post, 50,000, 100,000. ect.  Silly idea maybe.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would love to make the 100,000th post, however there's only one way to prove you did it.  You'd have to take a screenshot and you'd have to be the only one on when it said "total posts: 100,000".  Very improbable.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Why should it matter who did the 100,000 post, just that the forum reached it.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Why should it matter who did the 100,000 post, just that the forum reached it.

There are two types of honor discussed here.  The honor of the entire forum to have made so many posts, and the honor of each individual, who knows that they contributed to the post count.  Having actually posted the 100,000th post is a special honor because that honor can only be shared by one individual.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Well, someone will make that magic post indeed, but it is in fact the whole forum that wins, because it sure shows how active it is :yes .

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am one to believe that post count doesn't matter so much as the quality of the post.  I'd much rather have 100 posts that are long an meaningful than 5,000 posts that are just in the "word connection" or "word association" threads.  If I wanted to, I could increase my post count to 10,000 in a matter of days by just making meaningless posts that like just contain the word "a", but that wouldn't mean anything (not to mention I'd probably get banned.) :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It will reach 100,000 when it does and not before.  I've not been paying attention to the total post counts of the site really.  I'd not mind if there were no post counts for individuals either, though likely I"m in the minority.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Individual post counts helps to differentiate between senior members and newer ones.  It is rather essential in my opinion.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I had the honor of posting #50000, and large percentage of the posts are divisded between four posters, Malte, myself, petrie and threehorn Combined we have posted about 35000 posts, roughly a third of the posts on the board. you can atrribute that to the fact that we all have been active members here for a long time.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The date when you joined is better since I have more posts then some members who have been here for years I bet and I've been here less then a year.  I doubt the being more senior counts much here among the regular members for much.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Date joined is best for determining longetivity...NOT post count.  For example, Kor has 64% of my total postcount, yet he has not been here since mid-2006.  He has just been able to post much more often as of late than I have and replies in just about every single thread that receives a new post.

If you're looking at seniority, some of the most respected have less than 3,000 individual posts.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ Kor? I think you confused something Petrie. Kor first came here in last October (2007) and has been active ever since ;)
I'd much rather have 100 posts that are long an meaningful than 5,000 posts that are just in the "word connection" or "word association" threads.
I second that :yes
The 100 000 post will be reached soon. The air will taste the same after it and the sun will not shine any brighter; but still 100 000 is quite something :yes
It is true that activity at the GOF is increasing. More than a third of our members joined within the last year and the number of new people joining us (people who don't just join, but post and become active as well) has never been so high. I am really delighted that many of our newest members who are around for weeks or a few months only have really done so much already and written many interesting posts. I am really happy you came and stayed and really hope that you will remain with us in the future too :yes

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 6 2008 on  04:54 PM
I am really delighted that many of our newest members who are around for weeks or a few months only have really done so much already and written many interesting posts. I am really happy you came and stayed and really hope that you will remain with us in the future too
It's nice to be appreciated, although I have to say that however much I love LBT, it's the people here which keep me here, not the fact it's related to LBT. In return I'd just like to say thanks, to the admins and all of the great people here who are so welcoming and friendly. Thank you.