The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

New Planet Puzzles Scientists

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A new planet that is discovered to be 57 light years away has puzzled scientists, and it's not just the color.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...les-Astronomers

Well, time for you young scientists of the forum to start theorizing.  Any takers?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
well my response is two fold
 first the planet probably gobbled up all the debris that was close by when it formed. second, planets move around in orbit just look at our own solar system, jupiter was once further away from the sun than it is now.. i'm thinking the planet was originally closer to its star, sucked up all the debris near it and has moved in orbit to a place where there is little further debris to be sucked up.  in shorts its cleared everything near it,  so that area of space is empty.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I assume, maybe wrongly, that maybe it sucked up all the debre field into itself instead of it forming various planets, maybe as it moved in it's orbit farther from the sun of that system.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Maybe it's a rogue planet?

The fact that many rogue planets are large gas giants and the fact that there is little debris present in the system leads me to believe that this particular planet is a rogue planet that got captured by the star's gravity.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting, I had not thought of that.  That is certainly a possibility.