The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ultimate Puzzle Challenge!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There are puzzles that have eluded mankind for centuries.  Even though these puzzles are hard, they all have one thing in common, there is an answer to each one.  Think you can solve them?  Be my guest.

To start off, here's a puzzle for ANYONE to answer.  After this, the real test begins.

Note: If you can't guess this, then you don't stand a chance as this is the EASIEST of the puzzles.

Here's the puzzle:

Point value: 10

Ten candles stand burining in a dining room.  A strong breeze blows in through an open window and extinguishes two of them.  Checking back in on the candles later, you see that one more candle has gone out.  To make sure no more flames go out, you shut the window.  Assuming the wind doesn't extinguish any more candles, how many candles do you have left in the end?

-------------

Best of luck to ya. :)

Remember, only after someone guesses correctly will the game really begin and the real rules be posted.  So if you want others to play, you'd better start solving it.

Just remember, I wouldn't call it "Ultimate" if I thought you had a chance. :D

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
10 candles. 7 are still lit but there are still 10 candles total.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wrong, Flathead! (Geez!  That sounded like an insult when it didn't mean to.)

Think about what the puzzle is really saying.  It's asking how many are "left in the end", but what does that really mean?

You can try again if you dare, Flathead.  However, for YOU the value will only be 8 points.  Think of it as punishment for not being smart enough to figure it out.

The rest will still earn 10 points if they get it right.  Sorry, but those are the breaks.

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The answer is 3.  The others will be pools of wax in the end.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Correct, Stitch!

The seven candles that manage to stay lit will melt down completely.  The only candles that remain in the end are the three that are extinguished by the wind and therefore stay intact.

Congrats!  You earn the full 10 points. :)

-------------

Now, for the REAL game.

Here's how it all works from here on out.  The one who got it right has the honor of picking the next categoric questiion.  The questions are split into point value.  They not only represent how much they're worth, but also how difficult they are.  The more it's worth, the harder the question.

ANYONE can answer the question.  Only those that get it right earn the points.  However, only the FIRST to guess it right gets the honor of picking the next category.

There's a limited amount of questions to each category.  Once it runs out, the category will be made into red text to represent it as such.

Be warned.  If you guess wrong, the value will lower for YOU speciffically as punishment.  Let me give a fine example:

Person A gets a 10 point question wrong.  It is now worth 8 to this specific person.

Person A trys again and gets it right, earning only 8 points.

Person B gets the same 10 point question right on the first try and earns the full 10.

Person A gets the honor of picking the next one due to being the first to guess right.

Understood?  Good, because it's about to get a bit more complicated.

Hints are allowed.  However, you are only limited to 10 for the WHOLE GAME!  So only use them when you're REALLY stuck.  Some puzzles hold Hint points on top of main value points.  You get them right, and you earn the Hint Points.

Hints will only be given to the SPECIFIC person by PM to keep them secret to the others that participate.  The person who I give the hint to must not share it with ANYONE on the forum.  Failure to comply will result in disqualification from the game.

You are limited to 3 hints per question, so use them wisely.

You will not be penalized for asking for a hint.

Now, for the categories:

10-points

15-points

20-points

25-points

30-points

35-points

40-points

50-points

60-points

70-points

80-points

100-points

Bonus

-------

Now, let me talk about the Bonus.  This is where you really risk it.  In the Bonus, you get to "wager" your points as well as your Hint Points.  For this, you, and you alone, get to answer it.  However, you get ZERO hints.  You get it right, you earn what you wagered.  You get it wrong though, and you lose them.

If you pick BONUS when you have ZERO points, you risk your allowment in the game.  If you get it right, you earn 50 points.  You get it wrong, you are out of the game.

Game ends at the end of the month and only the one with the most points will be given the honor of the title of "Ultimate Puzzle Solver".

Now, with us all familiar with the rules, let us begin.

Stitch, pick a category. :)

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Score so far:

Stitch: 10 points (10 Hint Points)

Flathead770: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

------------------

Okay, 25 points to WHOEVER gets the following one right.

Oh, what luck!  It's also worth one Hint point!

So, For 25 points and One Hint Point:

Five cats can catch five mice in five minutes

With that in mind, how many cats can catch 100 mice in 100 minutes?

---------

Good luck!

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
100? (I'm not good at puzzles, or Math for that matter :lol )

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Clawandfang is right!

The five cats can catch five mice in five minutes.  If the hunt continued, then the same five cats will be expected to catch 10 mice total in 10 minutes, 20 mice in 20 minutes and so on.  The amount of mice they catch all depends on how long the hunt goes.

Clawandfang earns the full 25 and the extra hint point.

Scores so far:

Mornai: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Clawandfang: 25 points (11 Hint Points)

LBTFan13: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

-------------

Calwandfang, pick the next category. :)

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I accept your challenge. These puzzles are actually very easy to solve for me.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Yea, I got the first two right, and was just too late to post (just read it now) XD

I'll join :) I do puzzles like this for the Enigma Puzzle but there's more searching involved in those XD

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Okay, let's go for something slightly harder. 30 point puzzle please.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
All right, for 30 points:

The first letter of the alphabet is A, and the letter B comes after the letter A.

However, the letter you need to worry about is the last one.  What's the last letter of the alphabet?

Here's a hint: it isn't Z.

----------------------------------

Good luck to all.

I'll check back later! :^.^:

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm not too sure on this one, all I can think of is the letter "T".

I just want to double-check a rule with you. Let's say the answer was "T", could someone answer "T" before you confirmed the answer and still get the points?

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Agreed. I believe that "T" is the correct answer.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Clawandfang, Tails_155 and lbt/cty_lover all got it right.  All three of you earn the 30 points.

However, Clawandfang is the one that gets the honor of picking the next one as he/she was the first to get it right.

So, scores so far:

Mornai: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Clawandfang: 55 points (11 Hint Points)

LBTFan13: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Tails_155: 30 points

lbt/cty_lover: 30 points

--------

Clawandfang, pick the next category.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Okay, going up in increments of five... a 35 point puzzle please.