The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Multiplayer LBT RPG game

action9000 · 224 · 20614

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
*Please note* This game does NOT exist yet!

Out of curiosity, how many people here would be interested in playing an LBT RPG online with other LBT fans?  The idea would be somewhat similar to MMORPGs, but without a central server and it would be free to play.  

Does the idea of grouping together with LBT fans online in an LBT world, doing adventures as LBT-style characters (maybe even the Gang themselves), having the option of playing solo or as a small or large group, appeal to anyone?  I'm messing around with the idea of attempting to produce such a game and am wondering how much interest there would be in an online LBT RPG.  If there is a lack of interest, there is no need for this game to exist as it is primarily multiplayer and at least a few people Must be interested for the game to function as I vision.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I would definitely be interested in this. Please let me know if I can be of help :yes
I have some ideas on what an LBT game might be like, though I lack experience in how online RPGs usually work out. I'm afraid fighting is a primary occupation in many online RPGs and this is certainly not something that is or ought to be stressed too much in LBT.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I'm really like this idea. And i'm curious: is there any lifelengths about this project already? :o

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I would be interested in playing an LBT RPG.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
is there any lifelengths about this project already?
I have about 150 lines coded for this game already, as well as a basic game structure/outline developed.  In other words, yes, the basic concept of the game is showing signs of life and I have a program that doesn't crash, working on my computer...it doesn't do much but I can move around! :P:

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
As much as I would love to play as one of the gang members, I am still totally against the idea of gang members being playable. I think it'll just definitely turn out for the worse, unless there can be multiples of the same gang member in a single session. It won't feel as LBTish, but it's a way better alternative to have nobody be able to choose the gang, in my opinion.

And on another note, I'm kind of wondering how you're going to be able to pull this off without the basic fighting and leveling you see in everyday rpgs. Do you have any plans at all for what the main activities you can do are gonna be and what-not? What's the primary goal?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Hey Action, what programming language are you using?  Is this going to be an online java game programmed in javascript, or something more advanced using the java programming language?  I would love to see the variables you're using. :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey Action, what programming language are you using?
I'm cheating a bit, for the sake of having access to a powerful programming language without having to do a lot of highly techincal coding (double buffering, etc, synching to monitor vsync, etc).  This software deals with all the highly technical stuff for me and lets me focus on developing the game code itself, as opposed to spending all of my time on getting the graphics to render properly. :p

I am using Blitz3d, a programming library designed specifically for producing computer games (2d or 3d).  The language is similar to a combination of BASIC and Java/C++, with specific libraries which are very useful for game designers, combined with the flexibility of a complete programming language.

The game will be 3d (Direct3D, DirectX 7 or greater required) and already loads a 3d map from an external file which I designed, places a cube on the map (controlled by the player) and lets the player control the movement of the cube and the camera in this 3d world.  It's actually pretty cool. :) I'm just getting some bugs out of my code right now.  It's pretty powerful considering it's only 184 lines so far. ;)

In a perfect world, this game will eventually be a full 3d world, simlar to 3d MMOs like World of Warcraft.  As for how far this game will get in development, it is unsure at the moment.

I am developing this engine for an original game project that a couple of friends and I are attempting.  The game engine happens to also be very useful for an LBT Multiplayer RPG, so I figured I'd throw the idea out there. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm sure many here will enjoy playing in that.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How do you plan to deploy this game online without a server?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
How do you plan to deploy this game online without a server?
The players will host games and others can connect to them.  This game will not function as a typical MMO.  Instead it will be behave like other types of online games where players set up games when they're ready to play.  Others may join by IP address.  When the server is shut down, every players' characters are auto-saved to the player's local system (details of this have yet to be worked out).  This character can be used on any other server, including one hosted by the player.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I can post up an exe of the program as-is if you'd like to see what it can do so far.  It's not up to much but it's on its way to becoming a game!

[EDIT] here's a link to the program as-is.
http://search3.idrive.com/driveway/jsp/dwa...p?id=f6p6o7v4g3

System requirements:
DirectX7 video card + drivers supporting 800x600 resolution (final game will support all resolutions from 640x480 up to 1080p, most likely).

The controls are simple: You control the green sphere. It can collide with the "ground".

W = move forward
S = move backward
Q = strafe left
E = strafe right
A = move up
Z = move down
ESC: close the program

Right-click and drag = move camera
Scroll wheel away: zoom in
*WARNING* Zoom-out Does NOT Work yet!  No clue why. :p

Oh, and don't mind the numbers in the top-left corner. They're just there to help me debug some camera problems I was having. I actually have the issues resolved in this release so I can probably take those numbers out.

Now for the next step...Gravity!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
LOL.  Reminds me of that old 3D dinosaur game that used to come with mac OS 8.5 :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Latest update:
Complete jumping with real-world gravity acceleration whenever the player's graphic is not on the ground.  
g=9.81 m/s^2 in my program, just as in real life. B)
I don't have this version of the program posted up yet but I guarantee it works nicely. :)

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
i love this idea! i would definitely play this.

i do agree that multiple people should be allowed to play as the gang also, because it isn't fair to the many fans if only one person can play as littlefoot or chomper or etc...

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, if anyone can host a game server on his machine, that resolve the whole problem with characters: a little group of people can always find a solution to, who will play as who. But, than again, are you sure the RPG is a correct genre for this kind of game? It's more looks like some kind of multiplayer-oriented platformer. :huh:

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I forgot about the independent hosting, so I had in mind only one server where we would all be playing on.

Anyway, good job so far action. You seem to be moving along quite smoothly. The zip file won't open for me though for some reason...

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, if anyone can host a game server on his machine, that resolve the whole problem with characters: a little group of people can always find a solution to, who will play as who.
I imagined that before a game was hosted, people would get together and talk about starting a game together.  During this conversation, those people would agree on who plays as who.

Yes, anyone can host a new game and have first choice of character in that game. Players can also load characters from other players' games into a new game.

But, than again, are you sure the RPG is a correct genre for this kind of game? It's more looks like some kind of multiplayer-oriented platformer. 
It won't be an RPG in the typical sense where there are more cutscenes than gameplay :p
I was thinking more along the line of an action/adventure RPG, where gameplay and grouping together takes over as the most important aspect of the game...almost like an MMORPG but on a smaller scale and with more interesting gameplay, hopefully.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, you won't be able to insert crowds of enemies in such a game, i suppose. But you have a lot of possibilities for community activity... Like sport games, or cooperative walk through the Mysterious Beyond. :)
BTW, are planinng to add upgradeble skills to the characters? Like, Ducky can learn how to swim underwater for longer time period. B)

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
*pokes Tim* You forgot to mention who's to thank for this work, foo!

I've been helping Tim here with a bit of the coding, I leant him the coding software, and also I've volunteered to design the models.

He's also using some code from a platform engine I created two months ago.

Though Tim here has been doing the majority of the work, I'm just pitching in my knowledge every once in a while, and sending him my software freely.

Me on the other hand will be producing a 2D LBT RPG game ((FF7 and Chrono Trigger style RPG)) I've yet to had created a topic on this in these forums, as I dont yet have any material to show off.. that'll come in due time

for now, discuss the MMO