The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Need assistance for LBT Game Development!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As for what the canyon of shiny stones looks like, luckily I have uploaded 2 pictures to lbtwiki.  

http://landbeforetime.wikia.com/wiki/Image...ny_Stones_1.jpg

http://landbeforetime.wikia.com/wiki/Image...hiny_Stones.jpg

The 2nd is a long shot with little images of the gang in it.

This is before the lava flow goes into the canyon of shiny stones.  To Quote myself from the article, which I assume is not plagiarism since I am quoting myself: "Later it fills with lava so it may not exist after the end of the episode, or if the lava flow empties it may look very different. "

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
Is it the program, blender you're useing, or something else??

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For making maps, I'm using 3D World Studio.

Blender is the best freeware 3d modelling program that I know of for making the 3d objects and characters in the game.  The maps are all being produced in 3D World Studio though. :)  It's more suitable for objects as large as expansive terrain.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Does this project need music of any sort?  I have tons of musical underscore from films that might be able to be used as long as its credited who the composer is and all that (if that's legal as we're not selling this project or anything).

Let me know Tim.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is an idea, or Action 9000 or someone else may compose or play music for it, or a mix of the 2.  Not sure if it is legal to use the actual music, but I guess Action9000 would know that.  Maybe if anyone can play or compose, music inspired by some LBT songs, or composed from scratch may be ok.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Maybe if anyone can play or compose, music inspired by some LBT songs, or composed from scratch may be ok.
That's actually what I had in mind, Petrie.  I'll get to work on a score for the game once it comes to that point in development. :)

Not sure if it is legal to use the actual music, but I guess Action9000 would know that.
It's not.  I don't have the rights to freely distribute the original music.  If it were in the game, people could download the game just to get a copy of the LBT soundtrack.  That's not what I want this game to be. :lol:

[EDIT] I am interested in your background music as a temporary score and as a source of inspiration for the final score though.  Thanks, Petrie. B)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
3D modellers:
I don't expect anyone to take on this task, but if anyone is willing to make 3d models of characters or landmarks (Saurus Rock, etc.), it's something that will need to be done eventually. I intend to learn 3d modelling once the programming is more complete.

I have recently started to learn how to use Blender. I can't make any promises since I'm not sure if I'll get the hang of Blender, but if I am able to learn enough of Blender, I could make 3-D models of the dinosaur characters.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
You're welcome. :)

So if I do apply for this position, would I also need to be in charge of the character's animation?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So if I do apply for this position, would I also need to be in charge of the character's animation?
That's entirely your choice.  Since you're using Blender, same as Littlefoot1616, if you'd rather not have to worry about animation, you can toss your model file over to him and he can apply the animation to the character.  If you feel like learning it, that would be awesome too. :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Jul 22 2008 on  04:23 PM
For making maps, I'm using 3D World Studio.

Blender is the best freeware 3d modelling program that I know of for making the 3d objects and characters in the game.  The maps are all being produced in 3D World Studio though. :)  It's more suitable for objects as large as expansive terrain.
For 3D World Studio, would i have to buy it? Or can i just use the demo version? Or is there i free version i could get (which i doubt)?

I've also been fooling around with blender and following that tutorial that was posted somewhere around here. So, if i'm not interested in making maps and i could maybe help out with the character modeling.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll get back to you on that, Flathead.  If I can chat with you on MSN about this, that would be awesome. :)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I'll work on the game ideas.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Jan 19 2009 on  12:05 AM
I'll get back to you on that, Flathead.  If I can chat with you on MSN about this, that would be awesome. :)
ya sure, the next time i see you on i'll chat with you.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Woah, this is right up my alley!
I've done tons of 2D graphics for games in the past and would be happy to provide some for you guys if you need it! I can't get into 3D modeling until the summer, but I'd be happy to help with that eventually too.
Also I'd love to throw some concept art and story ideas your way. Just call on me if you ever need anything :)

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Sounds great DarkWolf91! Any amount of help regarding the graphics side is greatly appreciated. I'm still getting through Blender for the modelling aspects but there is a shed-load to do so any help from anyone is welcomed :D

That goes for everyone else as well. If anyone has any concept ideas or character designs etc, please pass them on to me. Database is a little thin at the mo so anything is up for consideration ;) When I get a little more savvy with Blender, the modelling can really kick off  ;)