The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Playable characters and their abilities

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Time for another new topic!

This one is for talking about the playable characters themselves:
What types of characters, what species, and what each character can do!

Each class (longneck, threehorn, etc.) and each species (apatosaurus, diplodocus, etc.) will have unique abilities.
We need to come up with as many ideas as we can for abilities that our playable dinos will develop as they gain levels.

Eventually we can also decide on the maximum possible level, at what levels each skill is learned, ways to learn secret skills, what actually happens when you reach a new level, and so on.

Anyway, we'll start with something Malte came up with:  a list of playable character classes and a few species available to each class:

Malte says (4:13 PM):
Longneck: Apatosaurus, Diplodocus, Brachiosaurus
Swimmer: Saurolophus, Lambeosaurus, Corythosaurus (more possibilities here)
Malte says (4:13 PM):
Flyer: Pteranodon, Rhamphornychus (spelling), Guido
Malte says (4:14 PM):
Threehorn: Triceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Chasmosaurus
Malte says (4:14 PM):
Spiketail: Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Nodosaurus
Also, fast-runners will be a playable class of dinos.  Fast runners will include dinos like Ruby.

Size classes:
There are two size classes, "Small" and "Large".  All "Small" Dinos share some abilities while all "Large" dinos share other abilities.

Brief stats on each class, still up for discussion.
Stats are on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the highest:

Longneck:
Size: Large
Strength: 7

Threehorn:
Strength: 9

Swimmer:
Size: Small
Strength: 3

Flyer:
Size: Small
Strength: 2

Spiketail:
Strength: 10

Fast Runner:
Size: *Medium*
Strength: 6

Some abilities unique to each class:
Longneck:
Reach - The longneck is able to reach objects buried up high in trees and on ledges.
This skill may not be possible to level up.  Not yet decided.

Dash - Every dino has the ability to "Sprint" away from danger, increasing their speed for a short time.  Longnecks have the ability to perfect this techinque.  As Dash levels up, the length of time the longneck is able to sprint before getting tired is increased.

Tail Whip - Long neck, long tail!  Longnecks are able to use their tails for variety of purposes. Less destructive than the Spiketail's tail but faster.

Threehorn:
Charge - Takes a couple of seconds to "build up" before use.  The threehorn charges headfirst into the target object.  Useful for destroying/moving rocks, bushes, etc.  As it levels up, it is able to destroy larger and heavier objects.

Swimmer:
Swim Speed - The swimmer has the ability to learn to swim faster than any other creature.  At level 1, the swimmer is only slightly faster than the other dinos in water.  As the skill levels up, the swimmers speed in water becomes faster.

Underwater Fitness - All dinos can swim underwater for a short time but the swimmer is capable of improving the maximum time they can spend underwater before having to come up for air.  As Underwater Fitness levels up, the swimmer's maximum amount of time underwater increases.

Flyer:
Flight (duh :p) - At character level 1, every flyer is like Petrie in LBT 1 (or any other dino, for that matter!): unable to fly at all.  When a flyer learns this ability (as early as character level 2, probably), the flyer will be able to take off and fly.  As Flight levels up, the maximum height above the ground is increased and the maximum time you can spend in the air is increased.  At maximum level, Flight gives a flyer virtually unlimited flight freedom.

Spiketails/clubtails:
Tail Whip - The back end of a spiketail is what makes them unique!  Spiketails can use their tails for everything from taking down trees to bashing dents in the ground.  I'm sure we'll find a good use for these skills at some point in the game.

Charge - Like the threehorn, the Spiketail can headbutt objects to destroy or move them.  Less destructive power than the Threehorn's version (no horns on their head) but more capacity to move objects than the Threehorn (due to being heavier than the Threehorn).  Combined with a Threehorn or other Spiketails, Charge can be used to move very heavy objects.

Fast Runners:
Lift/Carry: Fast runners are large dinos with hands, able to carry and transport relatively large objects.  As this skill levels up, the fast runner will be able to lift heavier objects (rocks, etc.) as well as carry more objects over a distance.

Dash - Every dino has the ability to "Sprint" away from danger, increasing their speed for a short time.  What would a fast runner be that couldn't...run...fast? :p
The fast runners have the ability to improve their sprint speed and duration, similar to longnecks.

Skills for all Small dinos:
Stealth - Small dinos are able to use their size to sneak around and hide from enemies or any creature they may not want to see them.

Skills for all Large dinos:
Transport - Large dinos are able to carry smaller dinos on their backs.  This could prove to be useful in some situations.

Team Skills that require both dino sizes:
Carry: A small dino with a large dino can team up to carry large quantities of objects.  Basically, the objects and the small dino ride on the large dino's back, with the small dino holding them there in place.

Skills available to all dinos:
Sprint - Every dino will be able to sprint for a short time before getting tired.  Sprinting is designed to help the player get out of danger.

Rescue - Every dino is able to try to rescue another dino from a stuck situation, such as falling in a tar pit.  The limitation to this skill that is one is only able to rescue dinos of your size and smaller.  Small dinos cannot pull large dinos out of tar pits. :p

We need more ideas for skills and abilities!  Anybody have cool ideas? :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One idea I got, from remembering Tippy with his mother was his mother telling him to bolt his food so he could eat (I forgot more or faster).  So maybe if some plant is used to heal maybe Spiketails can eat the plants faster.  No idea what that would mean, if anything, in the game.  

Maybe flyers can see well like I think some birds can, and swimmers maybe can see better underwater then non swimmers.  

If Troodons are added in as omnivores or herbivores their larger then normal eyes may give them good night vision.

Guido seems better at finding thermals, if that is the correct term, then other flyers, at least in the episode the hermit of black rock.  Not sure if he'll be left as a flyer or switched to a glider.  But maybe some flyers can have that ability.  It may not be automatic, but has to be chosen or something since Petrie, in that episode, seems to not have it.  This may tie into an ability to soar, to fly for longer periods then one can by flapping alone, as shown in the episode when a tired Swooper was able to rest while soaring to the great valley.

Also maybe flying in formation.  I"ve not seen the 12th movie but it seems, from the little I know and having seen the song from the movie where the young flyers are flying in formation, that having this skill may be important for large groups of flyers so they do not fly into each other.  Not needed for 1-2 or a couple maybe, unless they, maybe, need to fly really close to each other.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
So there is not going to be any playable sharpteeth? Well, that's understandable, but a little frustrating. :)
I have some ideas about fast-runners class. First, why not classify them as a medium size dinos? They are obviously lighter then longnecks or spiketails, and that would be easier for that dinos to pull fast-runner out of tar pit. :)
And second, what about adding a dinos with hard skulls(They are usually hiting each other forehead to forehead, while fighting... Sorry, can't remember the name. :rolleyes: ) as a fast-runner with "charge" ability? :)

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
are there not some more topics about this?
There is a general topic for discussing the game but this is a specific topic where we can really get into details, even to the point of numbers, exactly what skills do, etc.

that would be easier for that dinos to pull fast-runner out of tar pit.
I got talking to Littlefoot Fan about this topic and we agreed that large dinos should not be possible to rescue from tar pits, even by other large dinos.  The reason for this is, I think back to LBT 2:
The Gang was not able to successfully save each other from the tar pits.
LBT 3's success with Hyp depended on having a large number of large dinos to help.  One helping one other would have a very low chance of success, hence I will not be making that an option.

Large dinos will be able to save small dinos from tar pits, etc.  
So there is not going to be any playable sharpteeth? Well, that's understandable, but a little frustrating.
Never say never. :)
We might figure out a way, but we just want to avoid herds of sharpteeth characters forming in the Valley, for obvious reasons. :p

I have some ideas about fast-runners class. First, why not classify them as a medium size dinos? They are obviously lighter then longnecks or spiketails, and that would be easier for that dinos to pull fast-runner out of tar pit.
Sure, we can do that.  Since fast runners have hands, they would be able to save any dino from a tar pit.  As for classifying them as Medium, sure.  That makes sense. :)

And second, what about adding a dinos with hard skulls(They are usually hiting each other forehead to forehead, while fighting... Sorry, can't remember the name.  ) as a fast-runner with "charge" ability? 
I thought about that, too.  I think that would be a good idea.  We'll see what we can do.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Also how about Rainbowfaces will they be a playable race, or considered a movie character only?   There is one that looks sorta of like one in 1 or more movies, not sure if anyone else remembers him.  He is in at least 1, the song creepy crawlies from 11, not sure if he appears in any others.  My guess is they and, if allowed and considered an omnivore like Ruby's type of fast runner is, and maybe Troodons (if they are allowed and also considered omnivores or herbavores)  they'd be also considered a type of fast runner maybe.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Also how about Rainbowfaces will they be a playable race, or considered a movie character only?
I want to be careful with rainbowfaces.  
First of all, you're absolutely right about them appearing in LBT 11.  I am making sure to have every playable character to be approximately the same age as the Gang.  I don't know what a a rainbowface of that age would look like.  We have only seen adults.  I will need a screenshot, or at least an accurate picture, in order to make a 3d model.  I just don't know where we could get one.

Troodons (if they are allowed and also considered omnivores or herbavores) they'd be also considered a type of fast runner maybe.
Sure, they could work as another species of fast-runner. :)
Definitely worth considering as a species to put into the game.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe a minimum combined strength is needed, like when we've seen the gang working together to pull someone out of trouble, based on the dino size.

How would Maiasaurs and Iguanadons (Spikethumbs they may be called) be classified?

The adults are a bit smaller then or around the same size as a fast biter, and a bit smaller then Ruby's mother, so one could maybe extrapolate that since the adults may be classified as medium size (unless you think they maybe another size), maybe their young would be small.  For purposes of ease maybe say they are around the same size at certain stages of age as a Flyer, more or less.  Maybe the same for Troodons, since Troodons are smaller, maybe assume they are about the same size as a Flyer.    In the video of creepy crawlies I found a spot that shows a medium shot that has Petrie's mother and the Rainbowface in the same shot and it seems they are almost the same size, with the Rainbowface being bulkier (hard to tell exactly since Petrie's mother has her wings around her so I can't see her body) and having a longer neck, legs, & tail.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
For special abilties, how about the ability to understand Sharpteeth? Apparently there is some fighting in this game, and those who understand Sharpteeth might be able to take the in-fight growls and understand them (to various degrees of success) as: "I'm about to charge you....okay, now I'm slashing to your left..." etc. This would be a useful skill for the bit of fighting that goes on.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For special abilties, how about the ability to understand Sharpteeth?
You know what? That would be really cool, especially if we made it some secret skill if the player is able to find Chomper, who could teach it to them...or something like that. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Or translate for others.  It seems to not be a common skill, not sure how to do common or uncommon skills.  Maybe you'd have to learn it from certain characters like Chomper, if he'll be in the game as an npc or something, or another character.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Communicating with sharpteeth, that's a very interesting idea. Such an ability might be useful in some quests(Like, helping raptor-mamma finding her missed eggs. Who knows, maybe Hyp and his gang is behind the crime of stealing them). :yes

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Who knows, maybe Hyp and his gang is behind the crime of stealing them). 
I'd like to throw in as many existing LBT characters as we can, *somewhere* in the game. If we can get Hyp and his buddies in the game somehow, that would be cool. :)

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Another idea have just visited me: if we have a radar in this game, why don't we have a "Sniffer" ability, that will help characters to "smell" objects and creatures remotely? :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some seem to have the ability, Chomper, and in the 8th movie Spike could smell green food from very far away, and in the lonely journey, I think it's called, Spike could follow Chomper's scent, though I'd guess maybe not as well as Chomper could follow Spike's, though that may have been a plot device in both of those times.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
That'd be really cool--the ability to extend the radar.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
why don't we have a "Sniffer" ability, that will help characters to "smell" objects and creatures remotely?
I smell...something difficult to program (depending on the range of the sniffer). :p

Certainly an option though.  I'd think a spiketail would have the most "powerful" version of this skill.  As we have seen from the movies, Spike's sense of smell seems to win over everybody else's.

We can smell for treestars, water, specific objects, sharpteeth...
My only real concerns with this are

1) Programming :p
2) Once we start putting in skills like digging and sniffing, players will be forced to sniff and dig every few steps, "just in case there was something secret there!"....I just don't want to annoy players with stuff like that.

Used tastefully, the sense of smell could be used effectively!  We just need to be careful with game design so it doesn't annoy people.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very true, maybe something to be added in later, if it ever is.  It may annoy quite a few to use it a lot, and it seems few have the ability to Spike or Chomper's level, except other sharpteeth, even other Spiketails, in the movie didn't have it at at or near Spike's level, as I recall.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

That'd be really cool--the ability to extend the radar.
I was planning to have the map fairly limitless as-is, actually.
As long as you have previously been to an area, it would appear on your map.  The compass will show the area around your character.  You can press M (for example) to show a full screen map of the world, where you can zoom in and out on various regions.  This map would automatically complete itself as you explored the world.  I don't think we really need an ability to extend the map's functionality unless we had alternative plans for the map/compass system.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: action9000,Jun 20 2008 on  02:29 AM
I smell...something difficult to program (depending on the range of the sniffer). :p

Whatever, can the idea. you're the one who's gonna get the headache trying to make the thing.

Also, with one sentence:

2) Once we start putting in skills like digging and sniffing, players will be forced to sniff and dig every few steps, "just in case there was something secret there!"....I just don't want to annoy players with stuff like that.

You have conviced me. I wholeheartedly oppose anything that would make you have to do that.