The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Reputation And Gameplay Mechanics

Serris · 8 · 1982

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I do believe in an earlier on this forum there was a mention of a reputation statistic.

Will this appear as an in-game stat?

It would be interesting to implement this idea in.

I was thinking that some of the things that you can do can either negatively or positively impact your reputation among the groups of dinosaurs.

Since the dino groups are all different, one group could see a certain act as bad and other can see it as good.

As your reputation increases with one group, that group will be more willing to give you quests or help you.

Conversely as your reputation decreases with that same group, they will be less willing to give you quests or help you out. In extreme cases they will not interact with you at all.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That may work with some types.  Among some 3 horns being mean, short tempered, a speciest, a bit of a bully, ect, may give one high reputation among certain ones.  If it is factions that one is thinking of, there may be roughly 3 factions in the Great Valley.  The folks who tend to side with Littlefoot's Grandparents, the ones who tend to side with Threehorn, and some who may lean towards one or the other, but not always and usually would prefer to be left alone to do their own thing, maybe similar to Mr. Clubtail.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I really do like the idea of factions and reputation, especially if we end up expanding the game on a large scale where even sharpteeth could be involved in the reputation system (maybe via meeting Chomper later in the game, etc.)  :) I agree that it could get very interesting!

Kor, you have an interesting idea of how to work it.  Me likes. :D  We'll develop it as we get to that stage in the development.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Those were just ideas I got from observing the movies and how the adults seem to act as pertaining to factions.  I'm sure it'll need to be developed more since my suggestion is very vague and not thought out to well.  

It could make things, maybe, more fun and a bit more realistic, as long as one is careful so they are not to overdone or complicated.

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
In the Great Valley, your reputation should matter less and every species should be relatively friendly. However, out in the Mysterious Beyond, where racism and survival is still strong, your reputation could be low enough to a point where they would be hostile to you.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not everyone in the mysterious beyond is a racist or a speciest though.  Some are not.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I like Action's idea of splitting each species into tribes.

Of course, it should be made so that you cannot EVER have absolute reputation (positive or negative) with all the dino tribes (you can't have every dino tribe hate you or adore you).

I kind of like the idea of a "reputation punishment" (negative outcomes if your reputation drops too low with a certain tribe).

Great Valleians - generally milder

Getting less rewards for a task
Conversations will be less polite
Less willing to help you
Less willing to give you tasks
(Lowest) Will not respond to you at all except for a "redemption task" (increases reputation to lowest point they'll talk to you but drops reputation with another tribe)

Mysterious Beyonders

Same as Great Valleians but your reputation starts lower with them.

The punishments are the same except at the lowest. If you reach the lowest with certain Mysterious Beyonder tribes; they may attack you. However, such cases will be rare as combat isn't a major focus. Most of the time they will ignore you if you reach the lowest point of reputation. They do offer redemption quests but they are much more difficult than the Great Valleians' quests.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I like every word of that, Serris.  Well thought-out! :)