The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

One Star Above

Fyn16 · 7 · 1557

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Hello everyone. Tonight I wish to share with you a story that sprang up as a result of a challenge to myself to write a Land Before Time holiday story within two days. This short work is my finished product, and I proudly present it to you here. However, since I basically go over all of this fluff in the link anyway, here! Have a link!

And Merry Christmas from me! Or Happy Holidays, if you prefer!

-FynOne Star Above

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Awesome thanks for posting I'll try to read it today.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It was quite a pleasant surprise to discover your Christmas-themed story after the family festivities today.  :) The fact that you wrote such a compelling and touching story within two days is truly a testament to your abilities as an author.

This story touches on a theme that I quite enjoy in the Land Before Time fandom: the difference in perspective between leaf-eaters and sharpteeth.  This is indeed elaborated upon in the films involving Chomper, but not to the extent conveyed in fan-works.  In this particular story we get to see sharptooth younglings as they prepared to embark on their first hunt - a major test for the young ones.  And due to events that I will not elaborate upon here as I am trying to avoid major spoilers... let's just say that hunted and hunter get to meet face to face in a most unexpected way.  And, along the way, they learn that they are not so different after all...  I would be interested to see what the herd (and pack) make of the miraculous events of this story after the fact.  This is certainly the sort of thing that would lend itself to future stories from storytellers.

This was a lovely short story to read during this time of year.  :) In fact something about its tone reminds me of an old song from the Royal Guardsmen called Snoopy's Christmas
Snoopy's Christmas for some reason.

Thank you for sharing this with us.  :)

(btw, I should have the next chapter of From Fields Afar reviewed sometime in the next week.  I have a few more days with family and friends before I will be back at my apartment.)

Update: Never mind, I couldn't sleep well tonight so I had time to review your latest chapter of From Fields Afar after all.  You will find it in the fanfiction.net reviews.

Happy holidays, Fyn!  :DD

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: rhombus,Dec 25 2016 on  12:40 AM

This was a lovely short story to read during this time of year.  :) In fact something about its tone reminds me of an old song from the Royal Guardsmen called Snoopy's Christmas
Snoopy's Christmas for some reason.

Thank you for sharing this with us.  :)

Well, it's actually funny you mentioned that. I'm quite familiar with the song, as my family had (maybe even still has) the entire album on cassette tape. As a kid, it was my favorite of our selection of Christmas tunes, and as I got older, I discovered that there's somewhat of a historical precedent for it. There actually were Christmas truces during the first world war on several fronts, and it was these truces that served as an inspiration for this story. In case you haven't guessed it by now, I love reading and writing stories in which historical enemies are given the rare chance to see how alike they are, and I think most of all, during this time of year it's important for us to do the same.

Anyway, thanks for the review, and a Merry Christmas to you, too!

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This story fit the season's spirit nicely. The plot was simple but heartwarming and you managed to build a believable wintry version of LBT. I really appreciate the efforts you put into the widening of the franchise's world while still staying faithful to the style and feel of the series.

Bren and Uam's backgrounds were built quickly but rather believably. Their attempts at communication was quite funny to read and a realistic take on the difficulty of trying to break the language barrier. The ending was rather bittersweet and it was a nice take on the situations where Leaf eaters and Sharpteeth can cooperate peacefully, even if only once. I love scenes when characters turn for astral signs for guidance or comfort and the story's name already put me into the right mood.

Overall, this was a nice read on Christmas. :) I wonder if you already had this story in mind when you proposed the wintry LBT roleplay in October. While this wasn't quite as great as a average chapter of "Fields", it was a sweet, brief departure to break new ground. Than you for one more Christmas gift.  ^^spike

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My first thought: A christmas story and a... hunt?  :blink:  :lol Well, let's dig into the snow, shall we?

On the one side, we have a herd of (I didn't quite get what kind of species they are supposed to be but the descriptions around it are making up for the lack of imagination on that regard) Ugrunaaluks (that sounds like a finnish word to me, lol) who are facing off against the harsh conditions of the cold time on their way to their winter residence. Laak seems to be the typical herd leader, strong-minded, careful and experienced, also being a father to Uam who seemed to be your typical playful and carefree young child :smile

However, they are preyed upon by a small family of Cryos (fastbiters of sorts as it seems, I'm not too familiar with unpopular species ^^spike), consisting of Acris who seems to be quite reasonable for a sharptooth (not the stereotypical bad guy :p), trying to teach his children Bren and Lopus the principles of hunting under harsh conditions.

However, a blizzard makes a dangerous situation for both parties, turning a, so far, pretty peaceful phase of character introduction into an action-packed scene! Too unfortunate that Bren is as hardheaded as Cera in some regards  :lol: I shall read on...

I think the hunt was written in the most exciting way I can imagine right now. A challenge, seeming almost impossible to master, is taken on by young Bren. She soon realises that she has overestamated herself and underestimated the enemy, respectively. As she gets caught in the herd (why not bite a few of them? they'll love it :p), chances are low that her hunt will be successful, but then... just then there's a spark of hope: A youngling, easy to hunt under these conditions if you're not counting the constant threat of being trampled or kicked/bumped into. Bren tries, gains on it but then, oh no, she fails after all as she takes a bad hit from somewhere, being catapulted out of the herd (at least!) and tumbles down a hill where she loses conscience (oh no  :unsure: ) Brilliant! But what now, things aren't over? What about the youngling? What about the flat-faces, what about the remaining Cryos? Oh god I have to read on, enough typing for now :p

...and it is beginning to dawn on me why this is a christmas-themed story  :idea sounds like something Littlefoot would do there ^^spike

Body language... confusing as it is, it does the trick here. This story is great!  :D

Ancient snow-shovveling... love it! :D

Almost a happy end at this point, Uam didn't get eaten and Bren is back with her folks ^^spike

Ah, happy end now! Whoa, Fyn, what should I say? If this is something you write in two days without much planning and post-editing, without rereading things at least three times and stuff like that... honestly, I'm almost scared to read your big stories!  :lol: I regret not reading this sooner, I really do...

And, knowing that there's now a fanfiction challenge, I can only hope - no, expect to see more of these short masterpieces soon!  :lol:
Inactive, probably forever.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Wow, thanks a bunch!  :!

To be honest, I thought I was done getting reviews on this story, but I really appreciate you taking the time to give it a look!

In regards to the two species featured, here's what I've got:

-Ugrunaaluk is a Hadrosaur similar to Edmontonosaurus. It's a recent discovery and is one of the few dinosaurs speculated to have lived in arctic regions. The name is an Eskimo name for"Ancient Graze," a behavior that the ones in my story are implied to practice, making them similar to Bison today.

-As for Cryolophosaurus, imagine an Allosaurus with an Elvis Presley crest on its head, and you have the Cryo.  :smile

Thanks again for the read, as well as your kind words!

-Miles