The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My first try at drawing Rinkus

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
Rinkus has been one of my favorite characters but I haven't drawn any pictures of him. So I decided to try drawing him.

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=...ofah64#/d354w7u

The way he turned out makes him look like a hatchling :lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Hi, Nintendoofah. Sorry for not reviewing your artwork sooner. (I've had a hard time keeping up with the fanart and fanfiction threads lately.) Hopefully I can provide some of the useful feedback you’re looking for.

I’d say that for a first shot at drawing a character, this picture isn’t bad. It looks to me like you put some shading on Rinkus’s throat and around his beak and mouth. I think it looks good; a little extra detail that he didn’t have in the movie. (I’m still clueless on how to do pictures with shading. :rolleyes) His neck should be shorter, however, and the back of his head more rounded.

I think Rinkus’s eyes are the main thing that make him look hatchling-like. Try making his pupils smaller, and remember to include the little bags or wrinkles under his eyes. The shape of his beak looks pretty good, but his lower jaw should only be a little shorter than the upper, and he should have a few protruding teeth (four on either side: two closely spaced ones in front of his eye, and two more widely spaced ones close to the end of his beak). Finally, I think all his colors should be just a bit more muted. He also has a stripe along the top of his beak that’s slightly darker than the rest of it.

By the way, have you considered posting all of your LBT artwork in a single thread? I have a theory that artwork is noticed more if it's compiled in a single place, because it showcases how accomplished the artist is, and how his or her style has changed over time.

Also, it might help for you to post your artwork directly on the thread using the [°mg][/img] tags, rather than just linking to it. It just makes the art all the more visible and accessible to anyone skimming the threads.

By the way, I really like the lettering style you used for Rinkus’s name. I’m a sucker for creative fonts. :p

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
hey thanks for the review :D ! they're always appreciated :yes

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
And now, a few words from a huge Rinkus fan.

Hmm. Not bad for your very first Rinkus, Although there are a few things wrong.

Pangea is right. You need to make his pupils smaller, he may need a few wrinkles under his eyes, he needs to have a few of his teeth sticking out.

You need to make his neck a little shorter, the shade of pink needs to be lighter, the top portion of his beak (or the stripe, like Pangaea said) is a darker shade ...

Uh-oh, you didn't draw any nostrils in his beak, how can Rinkus breath through his beak?

He needs to have his white neck ring (or collar, if that's how you want to say it)

But I LOVE the expression you gave him. That's funny. I love the surprised "OH, BOY!!" grin you gave him. :yes

If you ever draw a full body of him, don't forget his colored belly, and the inside part of his wings are the same color as his belly.

And remember too, that he's chubby. Remember his long tail *with a leaf-shaped tip*. I LOVE his tail.

I recommend that you should look and study a few pictures of Rinkus so you know more about what he looks like and what his features are, as well as listening to what Pangea said (he knows a whole lot more about drawing and details than I do).

You'll be fine after you study Rinkus's appearance more.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's good. Much better than I could do anyway. There's a few flaws. In a sense, he does look like a hatchling. Maybe with those big eye's you gave him. He should have a few teeth sticking out, like he does in the movie. His neck should be a bit shorter, and his head shouldn't be as pointed as it is. But you did a good good none the less and again I say, that it's MUCH better than what I could ever do.