The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Accepting Requests for next LBT Song to Sing

action9000 · 139 · 11378

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Computer line-in with a $20 mic would do better...that's what I do and I've no trouble whatsoever.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I just don't know how to use the crap I have.  I have never had a use for it before.  I have no idea what a pitch adjustment is, or how to set the microphone intensity level to an adiquite level, or how to use the background noise canceling knob, or anything!  This stupid kareoke machine is just too complicated!  I got it on craigslist for $30 and it has no instructions.  I'll just have to record as many times as I can, as many ways I can and hope it turns out.  I have no other choice.  Perhaps my equipment is too sophisticated.  I don't have anything else though.  My stupid $60 mic is too sensitive and I can no longer use it.  I now have either a free mic that came with my pc, or the built in mic in my laptop.  I HATE audio!!!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Perhaps I should rev it up to the highest quality setting?  WARNING:  This song would at least be 120MB if not more if I did that.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,May 22 2007 on  05:23 PM
Perhaps I should rev it up to the highest quality setting?  WARNING:  This song would at least be 120MB if not more if I did that.

I don't know anything about the karaoke machine either, so maybe we ought to stop using it because I don't think its going to provide the result we're all looking for.

You got a laptop right?  I don't know of a laptop that does not have a line-in (or mic-in) port for connecting a microphone.  I use a headset mic that cost me $20 and this has been flawless, so you don't have to spend a ton to get decent quality.

Download HardDisk Ogg.  When you want to record, you want to select Windows ACM under Output Format.  There's a little icon that looks like gears--click that, and select 'mono' and 44100khz sample rate on the screen that pops up.  On the main page put normalization selection to none.  There's a little microphone image you can click to test your settings.  If it goes into the red at the top, its too loud.  You want to get that bar to go at least 1/4 of the way up the scale.  Click "Record" when you're ready.

That's what I do.  I'm sure you have the equipment to try it too.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am currently using the program Action9000 recommends.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Then you need to ask him how to work it.

Regardless, I doubt the highest quality setting Goldwave can create would make a 120mb audio file which is only three minutes long...an absolute killer sample rate maybe but that's definitely overkill.  :lol:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Perhaps I should rev it up to the highest quality setting? WARNING: This song would at least be 120MB if not more if I did that.
Regardless, I doubt the highest quality setting Goldwave can create would make a 120mb audio file which is only three minutes long...an absolute killer sample rate maybe but that's definitely overkill.
I totally agree with what Petrie said.  There should be No need for a sampling rate higher than 44.1khz (44100 Hz).  I can't guarantee that I can physically add sampling rates higher than that into our song anyway.  If a .wav file is over 30 MB, do something with it.  There's something wrong. :P:
I can't think of any other reason that the quality could possibly be increased, other than increasing the sampling rate, so I wouldn't worry about increasing the quality.

From my perspective, the solution is simple: Get a better microphone, if you have the money.  Though I must admit, I don't understand the problem with your karaoke machine's microphone, it is doing strange things to your recordings, especially with the buzzing.

Your other microphones simply will be incapable of recording at good quality.  Built-in laptop mics are basically for chatting over instant messengers (VOIP) and recording lectures; that's basically it.  They're built for power conservation and convenience, not quality.

I am currently using the program Action9000 recommends.
My little tutorial explains the basics on what I'd recommend doing in Goldwave.  No other actions should be necessary.  Maybe, however, I can make Goldwave a bit clearer for you.

I assume that you followed my instructions on making a new file exactly as written:
Make every window related to Goldwave full-screen.  When the new file opens up, you will see a window containing a long green line.  This line represents the motion that will be sent to your speakers when the file is played.  A horizontal line indicates no movement.  This line is a visual represenation of the sound waves that you will ideally hear (from a perfect set of speakers, which obviously don't exist).  This line is known as the "waveform".

You will notice two scales in goldwave; a horizontal scale (time) and a vertical scale (amplitude/volume).  The vertical scale (Y-Axis) has a range from 0.0 to 1.0 in both the positive and negative directions.  This represents the total RANGE of volumes that the digital audio file can capture and store.  0.0  represents silence and +/0 1.0 represents the maximum amplitude from the 0.0 point.  Therefore the loudest sound you can possibly record is a wave that travels from 0.0 to +1.0 to -1.0, back to +1.0, back to -1.0, etc.

The level that Goldwave percieves when recording from a microphone is related to the microphone volume level ("Gain").  When a sound is recorded, the vibration of air around the microphone is converted to a digital signal and sent to the computer, which stores the amplitude as a 16-bit value (in 16-bit audio).  The value of this 16-bit number is dependant on a mathematical calculation containing your input volume (the volume of your voice and surrounding noise) and the gain of the microphone.  I'm assuming you understand the basics of binary, being a computer repair guy, so I'm going to point this out:

The minimum binary value in a 16-bit number (representing Silence) is obviously
0000 0000 0000 0000

The maximum binary value (representing maximum possible volume) is therefore
1111 1111 1111 1111

Any binary number between these is some amplitude between 0.0 and 1.0.  We are using SIGNED 16-bit audio so the final bit is technically the sign of the number (positive or negative), which is why we see +/- 1.0 on the Goldwave scale.

When setting the microphone gain, we ideally want to get as much of your voice as possible and as little background/electromagnetic (EMR) noise as possible.  This ratio, Signal to Noise ratio, is the biggest problem with your recordings.  Ideally the sound would be 100% signal and 0% noise but this is impossible.  Our goal is to get as close to this as possible.  This is done by using high-quality equipment and setting the microphone gain to an appropriate level.

What is the appropriate level?  Ideally, you want the LOUDEST instant of your voice to be as close to +/- 1.0 on the Y-Axis scale without going Over 1.0.  If any instant of sound is calculated (based on microphone gain and your voice volume) to be LARGER than +1.0 or SMALLER than -1.0, the 16-bit number cannot store it (where would it go?  We are out of digits!  You can't put a larger value than 1111 1111 1111 1111 into 16 binary digits.).  As a result, it must be assigned to the most logical place: the nearest possible binary value.  As a result, a sound that continually calculates to larger than +1.0 or smaller than -1.0 will result in the Cutting off of the peaks of the wave form (because the peaks get flattened to the 1.0 value).  This flattening distorts the sound and results in a rather unpleasant noise.

This, however, is not a problem I have been hearing in your recordings, LBTlover.  Instead, I am hearing unusually loud levels of hissing and background noise.

Here is the problem I am seeing with your recordings:

By the way, the 0.04 is a Maximum noise level, so that is basically the lowest SNR in your entire recording.  Most of the time it may be closer to 10 or even 15 dB.  That is still extremely low.
As for what to do about it:
I would say Increase the gain on your microphone.  Your Maximum volume right now at Any point is about 35% or 36% of the 16-bit maximum.  You can crank that gain quite a bit higher.  If that doesn't help, you may need either a better microphone or a better sound card.

If you can get that Signal to Noise ratio better, I can do the rest. B)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
By comparison, here's a picture of my recording of If We Hold On Together.

My signal level hits well over 50% quite often, so I am using 50% as the basis for my SNR calculation.  

I zoomed in on the noise level of my recording.  The slightly louder parts are sounds due to my poor skills using a microphone (breathing too closely to it, etc.).  The lowest amplitude points are the inherant noise of the recording.

Notice the difference: A Lot more signal and a Lot less noise.  With 100dB estimated Signal-to-noise ratio, the quality is superb.  This is only an $80 microphone.  I suspect my sound card made a lot of the difference, too (Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum).  This sound card can handle recordings MUCH better than my laptop's card, which leaves all sorts of noise in a recording.  I think your problems are your microphone and sound card.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay so do I adjust the gain of the mic by going into the preferences and going up to mic level to like 80%?  Right now it's at 35%.  If I do this however, I can really hear the cars go by.  It sounds like planes!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay so do I adjust the gain of the mic by going into the preferences and going up to mic level to like 80%? Right now it's at 35%.
Yep, that's all there is to it.

I can really hear the cars go by. It sounds like planes!
That's honestly really crappy...Too bad there is no way around that.  I guess the options are one of:

1) Very low gain (20%, give or take a few %), sing very close to your microphone.  Most tolerant of background noise, least tolerant of electronic noise due to your sound card.

2) Medium gain (35 or 40%).  Less tolerant of background noise but reduces electronic noise.

3) Higher gain (55% or higher, I'd say).  Least tolerant of background noise.  Most tolerant of electronic noise due to your sound card.

If background noise is the problem, try killing the gain (15 or 20%) and singing Very close to the mic.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay.  I'll try that and post three more songs tomarrow.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Oh cool...could you do mine next? :D  I can't seem to get the same types of graphs in Audacity.  No really, if I need to up the volume in the future, this is a good way to tell.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll do that as soon as I get home, a little later today.  I am just about to put in a couple of job applications and get a haircut. :p

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Waiting is the hardest part....I've a couple of things lined up....now just waiting.  :^.^:   Good luck.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here is an image of the "Best of Friends" with you singing to music, which you posted up before.

You could probably turn up your vocals a bit more if you want.  Most of the waveform you see at the end is music.  If we subtract that, you are left with a wave that is slightly smaller than that seen at the beginning of this audio.  We can see that near the beginning of this audio, there is very little music and mainly vocals, hitting only 25% of maximum volume. You still have a long way to go before maxing out.

COMBINED, the vocals and music reach about 90%, 3/4 through the song.  I don't care though; I can tweak the music and vocals until the levels are good.  If we were to isolate your vocal track, it's not even close to 100%.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
That's what I was afraid of hearing.  However, if I turn it too much louder, you get a horrible hiss in the background.  I guess that'll be my threshold.  -_-  At least I didn't let the mix clip.   :lol:  +1 for me.