The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Just saw The Avengers.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Whoa. Just... just whoa. Best. Popcorn. Flick. Ever. It hit all the notes perfectly. It had VERY creative action sequences, it was quick-paced but not too much, it had good acting, it had good character development beyond the norm for this kind of movie, and above all else it was fun as hell to watch. The two and a half hours pass like fifteen minutes you leave craving more. See. This. Period.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
The hell? The film just $68 mil and no one else here has seen it?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I haven't seen it yet. Not sure if I will. I'm not hugely interested in superhero movies. That doesn't mean I don't see them off and on. For instance, I went to see Spiderman in the theatres and remember liking it. I also saw Iron Man and Iron Man 2. And I loved The Incredibles (especially since it was a different take on a superhero movie).

I know my youngest sister and my father, perhaps my brother, are interested in seeing The Avengers. My dad might wait until it's on video, though. My siblings might see it as the drive-in, whenever they get around to playing it.

I finished watching a review of the movie by MovieBob. I tend to watch a lot of his reviews to see what he has to say. He loved this movie. Here's what he had to say:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...s/5674-Avengers

As for me, maybe I'll see it. I'm just not too sure at the moment. It has nothing to do with The Avengers themselves; I just saw so little of The Avengers growing up so I never shaped an opinion on it. Maybe I'll go whenever my sisters decide to go. Yeah I think I'll go and give the movie a chance.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I plan on seeing the movie as soon as I am able to do so.  That one is on the top of my list right now.  I am hoping on Tuesday if I don't have work that is.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Once I get my dental bills out of the way and I'm back to a steady income, I'll celebrate with this movie.  That much, I can promise.

Right now, I just can't afford much. -_-

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Just got back from seeing this:

Admittedly, except for the first Iron Man, I haven't seen any of the other films leading up to this, though watching this, I didn't feel like there was a lot that would absolutely confuse someone who hadn't really seen many of the precursors to this, so don't bee too discouraged in you're going in blind.

Though I thought the action was good, the dialogue was the real highlight of the film for me (It reminded me of Cabin in the Woods, also written by Whedon), and both of those films really made me laugh.

All of the main performances were good, and I felt the in-universe creative differences amongst the characters did not feel forced, so that really helped IMO.

My only minor gripe is that the villain (Loki), at least to me, just did not seem that threatening. (Though the part where the Hulk smashes him was great)

Overall, I'd give the Avengers a 4 out of 5. Between the last two movies I've seen in theaters, I'd say I still liked Cabin in the Woods more, though that's mainly because, as established, I'm more of a horror person than an action person, though this is still a good popcorn flick.

Also, with the Amazing Spider-Man and Dark Knight Rises later this summer, this may be the first year I end up checking out all of the main superhero flicks released.

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I saw it yesterday. It wasn't great. It was just alright. Made me laugh a bit though, very funny.

Spoiler

Okay. As for those who saw it and waited for the credits, who's excited about the sequel? If it's going to be the Power gem wars, then there might be a good chance that Spider-man and Wolverine are included. Maybe even some of the other Marvel Super Heroes who were included in that story arch. That would be awesome!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I thought it was great.

I want to try to write a proper review of what I thought was great about this, but really, I can say that in one word: everything. I'm afraid any such review would amount to me gushing about how much I love this movie.

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Nostalgia Critic put it perfectly. His response is about the same as mine. I really liked the movie, but I wasn't going head over heels for it. I just wasn't that invested. I'm more of a Spider-man fan and really hope he comes out in the sequel.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolink...ws-the-avengers

Here's his review on it.

Oh, one more thing...Nerd rant:

As a bit of a Cap fan. I loved seeing him block Thor's hammer. I KNEW he could! I was practically giddy when I saw that! I told my brother that he can block a slam from the Hulk with his shield but he didn't believe me! IN YO FACE!  :DD  :lol  :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm personally not interested in superheroes at all, so if I will see it it will be at a party or something. Definitely not going to the cinema for it.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Truttle,May 8 2012 on  01:42 PM
Nostalgia Critic put it perfectly. His response is about the same as mine. I really liked the movie, but I wasn't going head over heels for it. I just wasn't that invested. I'm more of a Spider-man fan and really hope he comes out in the sequel.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolink...ws-the-avengers

Here's his review on it.

Oh, one more thing...Nerd rant:

As a bit of a Cap fan. I loved seeing him block Thor's hammer. I KNEW he could! I was practically giddy when I saw that! I told my brother that he can block a slam from the Hulk with his shield but he didn't believe me! IN YO FACE!  :DD  :lol  :p
Not sure of the movie, but last I heard (I don't read modern marvel so as far as I know cap could be a god that even the living tribunal bows to), the only think Cap's shield can't absorb is psionics, which in one comic that I read gave Reed the clue that the Gladiator's ( I think his name is) power was psionic in nature.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think Spoony put it better than Critic did.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I plan on seeing it tomorrow as I have no work.  But I already wonder about the after credits.  If it's to do the a Power gem, isn't that suppose to have something to do with the Infinity Guantlet? The one that Thanos wears? As in, one of the five gems on it?

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
If you don't mind the spoilers, yeah the credit teaser is that we see Thanos show up.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, just saw the movie, and it was really good.  I didn't stay after the credits though, couldn't be bothered.  But hearing about it, makes sense....if Thanos does show up in the sequel....and they don't screw him up at all, then it would just be awesome XD

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Just between you and me, I don't think he's going to actually be in the sequel as much more than a Dr. Claw-like figure pulling the strings. Don't forget that the aliens showed up unprepared for the resistance they got. I can easily see a return oft he Red Skull and whatever other supervillains Thanos might have collected being the next batch of supervillains to invade Earth.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
True, since Red Skull is suppose to be still alive after the Captain America movie.  I mean okay, when I first saw the movie, I thought he disintegrated from the cube, but then reading about what happened in the Thor movie, I forgot that the cube was a teleporter.

So yeah, Red Skull is a possibility.  And if they bring him back, hopefully also the same actor to play as him too...I forget the actor's name now.

Makes me wonder too, if there's to be a sequel, if they'll be able to bring in War Machine too as another ally, and not just Hawkeye.  I mean, War Machine was a very good character to have in Iron Man 2, and James Rhodes is suppose to be in Iron Man 3 as well.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hugo "Agent Smith" Weaving. I'd love to see a co-op of villains as well as heroes in Avengers 2, and then in Avengers 3 Thanos decides to pull out all the stops and confronts the Avengers himself. I can SO see that happening.

I'd have liked to see War Machine, too, myself. I'm hoping it was because of a schedule conflict and not because of problems with Cheadle or Marvel being stupid or something. I also hope they bring in Antman and Wasp this time. Especially Wasp. You know what, forget Antman.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe Hank Pym could be Giant Man or Yellowjacket instead of Antman.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
If they include Antman, I'd rather they just stick with the original story.