The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Avengers: Infinity War

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
This film is currently making ALL the money, and already has about $730 million world wide, and will possibly be what topples Titanic and Avatar from the #1 box office spots (Thank God). And somehow no one here is talking about this?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
and will possibly be what topples Titanic and Avatar from the #1 box office spots (Thank God)

I've noticed it too but I dearly hope this won't earn more than Titanic as it is my second most favorite film ever. I've heard a lot of good things about Infinity War, though, so I might watch it at some point in the future even if I'm not that much into superhero movies.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:37:31 AM by Sovereign »

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sovereign on May 2 2018, 08:27:04 AM
and will possibly be what topples Titanic and Avatar from the #1 box office spots (Thank God)

I've noticed it too but I dearly hope this won't earn more than Titanic as it is my second most favorite film ever. I've heard a lot of good things about Infinity War, though, so I might watch it at some point in the future even if I'm not that much into superhero movies.
Titanic doesn't deserve to be the second highest film of all time for over 20 years. No film does. It's time for it to be dethroned. James Cameron does not deserve to be the sole king of the box office. No single filmmaker does. And seriously, actively wishing Infinity War to do less well than it could? Cone on, dude. That is not cool.

Also, Titanic sucks.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:24:51 PM by WeirdRaptor »
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor on May 2 2018, 10:58:06 AM

Titanic doesn't deserve to be the second highest film of all time for over 20 years. No film does. It's time for it to be dethroned. James Cameron does not deserve to be the sole king of the box office. No single filmmaker does. And seriously, actively wishing Infinity War to do less well than it could? Cone on, dude. That is not cool.

Also, Titanic sucks.
Actually, I've heard that Titanic was surpassed by Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and more recently, even Black Panther (the more recent Marvel movie) was able to surpass Titanic, so it's actually already been knocked off the #2 spot. Then again, this is only what I've heard, and I don't really know where to search to confirm if what I've heard is true.

As for Infinity War, even though I personally won't go see it (mostly because I'm just not the kind of person to go to theaters to watch movies), I can easily imagine this will be yet another big one for the franchise.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
its simply a matter of no one decided to post about it, thats all. Even if , say Infinity War ends up being #1 in money made, adjusted for inflation, #1 is actually Gone with the wind, when inflation is considered. Titanic has not aged well, i'll say that much.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I personally try to avoid big releases when they first come out. I hate dealing with the traffic and how busy it is. I usually give it a week or two when things die down a bit.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler on May 2 2018, 06:05:15 PM
Quote from: WeirdRaptor on May 2 2018, 10:58:06 AM

Also, Titanic sucks.
Actually, I've heard that Titanic was surpassed by Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and more recently, even Black Panther (the more recent Marvel movie) was able to surpass Titanic, so it's actually already been knocked off the #2 spot. Then again, this is only what I've heard, and I don't really know where to search to confirm if what I've heard is true.

As for Infinity War, even though I personally won't go see it (mostly because I'm just not the kind of person to go to theaters to watch movies), I can easily imagine this will be yet another big one for the franchise.
Star Wars: Force Awakens: I think that was only domestic.

Black Panther: I'll have to look that up.

As for not going to films in theaters: fair enough. However, I just find it odd that no one is commenting about this until now. It could be a momentous occasion in cinema.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Flathead770 on May 2 2018, 07:47:42 PM
I personally try to avoid big releases when they first come out. I hate dealing with the traffic and how busy it is. I usually give it a week or two when things die down a bit.
I can imagine it'd be a headache in the big city.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22 on May 2 2018, 07:23:14 PM
its simply a matter of no one decided to post about it, thats all. Even if , say Infinity War ends up being #1 in money made, adjusted for inflation, #1 is actually Gone with the wind, when inflation is considered. Titanic has not aged well, i'll say that much.
Good point, though adjusting for inflation usually opens a can of worms in most if not all discussions I've seen it used. I tend to try to avoid and never be the first person to bring it up. It's often used as a way to belittle a film someone doesn't like, and as the result, people tend to assume that's what you're doing if you go at it from that angle and get defensive about it.

Then of course you have to bring up various factors that have changed over the years. Like how home video and TV re-airings weren't a thing when Gone with the Wind was originally in theaters, so people were more inclined to pony up the cash than perhaps miss their chance to see it for many, many years, assuming it EVER got re-released at all.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
precisely. consider, Its a woonderful life- one of the greatest Christmas films( and films, period) of all time? Bombed when it came out in July 1946. So it is often a matter of a film not getting the respect it deserves. I Mean, Hitchcock never won a Oscar, and he directed some of the best films ever. Rear Window, the Birds, North by Northwest and Pyscho.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22 on May 2 2018, 09:18:31 PM
precisely. consider, Its a woonderful life- one of the greatest Christmas films( and films, period) of all time? Bombed when it came out in July 1946. So it is often a matter of a film not getting the respect it deserves. I Mean, Hitchcock never won a Oscar, and he directed some of the best films ever. Rear Window, the Birds, North by Northwest and Pyscho.
"I Mean, Hitchcock never won a Oscar, and he directed some of the best films ever. Rear Window, the Birds, North by Northwest and Pyscho."

And that I why I tend to just zone out when people talk about Oscars as if they were an accurate measuring mechanism for a film's quality.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
orb for that matter, the quality of an actors performance. I mean Marisa Tomei won an Oscar for My Cousin Vinny. Meryl Streep has been nominated so often they might as well just automatically put her name into consideration each year,  I mean 21 noms? and why isnt there a Voice acting category? some of the greatest performances have been voice acting- see James earl Jones as Darth Vader, Robin Williams as the Genie, or Jeremy irons as Scar. Animated films in general have gotten the short shift for decades.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22 on May 2 2018, 09:34:15 PM
orb for that matter, the quality of an actors performance. I mean Marisa Tomei won an Oscar for My Cousin Vinny. Meryl Streep has been nominated so often they might as well just automatically put her name into consideration each year,  I mean 21 noms? and why isnt there a Voice acting category? some of the greatest performances have been voice acting- see James earl Jones as Darth Vader, Robin Williams as the Genie, or Jeremy irons as Scar. Animated films in general have gotten the short shift for decades.
I would rather they just include animated films as contenders for "Best Picture" and the various Best Performances Oscars. A film should just be a film regardless of how it was made, with live-action actors or with animation. So I also think animation directors should be considered for "Best Director" as well.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
theres some 50 categories for technical stuff, and yet theres nothing to honor voiceover actors. its just  something that imo needs to be addressed. as for whether Infinity Wars ends up passing Titanic. if it does, great. If not, doesnt really take away from the quality of the film. if a film is great, its great whether it makes 10M, 100M o.r 1B.  there are loads of films that make loads of money, that arent that great. Take the Transformers series as an example.  I think IWs will pass Titanic, whether it will get to #1 overall, that Im not sure about. Films just arent out in theaters as long as they were back in the 80s and 90s.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22 on May 2 2018, 09:47:17 PM
theres some 50 categories for technical stuff, and yet theres nothing to honor voiceover actors. its just  something that imo needs to be addressed. as for whether Infinity Wars ends up passing Titanic. if it does, great. If not, doesnt really take away from the quality of the film. if a film is great, its great whether it makes 10M, 100M o.r 1B.  there are loads of films that make loads of money, that arent that great. Take the Transformers series as an example.  I think IWs will pass Titanic, whether it will get to #1 overall, that Im not sure about. Films just arent out in theaters as long as they were back in the 80s and 90s.
Well, the Academy is very biased. They have made their low opinion of animated features known many times not so much with words, but with decisions like creating "Best Animated Picture" just so there could never be another case like "Beauty and the Beast", where one of those gosh-darned funny paper movies almost won a major Oscar. It goes without saying they also stare down their noses at the likes of Jeff Bennett or Jim Cummings. Yet I'd bet they'd gladly give Mel Blanc an Oscar. It's all favoritism and bias.

Avengers: Fair point. Speaking of, if you ever get the itch to go see it, I hope you're caught up with the other films leading up to it. The Marvel Cinematic Universe may have several individual films in it, but they all play a role in some way leading up to this finale. It's a lot like the season finale of a TV show. Hope you didn't skip leading up to it.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i saw the first Guardians and the Doctor strange films( both of which I liked) as well as the first Iron Man film.  Superhero teamups have had a mixed success rate historically.  Take the 90s batman films post Returns. Bat nipples anyone? Bat credit card? Bane being a mute henchman, when in the comics and Animated Series, he is one of the Dark Knight's greatest foes? You get the idea. I think Marvels just done team ups better than DC, granted most of my superhero stuff comes from DC.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22 on May 2 2018, 09:57:39 PM
i saw the first Guardians and the Doctor strange films( both of which I liked) as well as the first Iron Man film.  Superhero teamups have had a mixed success rate historically.  Take the 90s batman films post Returns. Bat nipples anyone? Bat credit card? Bane being a mute henchman, when in the comics and Animated Series, he is one of the Dark Knight's greatest foes? You get the idea. I think Marvels just done team ups better than DC, granted most of my superhero stuff comes from DC.
Oh, boy. Okay, then... Heh heh... Well, you've certainly seen three of the "Must See" ones. Alright, before I answer anything else, here's a list of the films you'll need to see before being ready to see "Infinity War."

Ironman 1
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
Ironman 3
Captain America: The Winter Solder
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther
(In that order.)

If you skip these, you're not going to get a lot of what's going on in "Infinity War." Like I said, it's like the seaso finale of a TV show. A TV show like "Walking Dea" or "Game of Thrones" in the sense where the individual episodes leading up to it matter. Not the tone, though. Good lord, not the tone.

Superhero team-ups: Well, so far, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has made their team-ups work consistantly. Even the least liked of the Avengers films (Age of Ultron) has generally favorable reviews.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Isnt there a Doctor Strange sequel coming out?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22 on May 2 2018, 10:21:11 PM
Isnt there a Doctor Strange sequel coming out?
There is. There just isn't a date set yet. However, Doctor Strange himself has appeared in both "Thor: Ragnarok" and "Avengers: Infinity War", and will be in the "Avengers 4" next year, in the meantime. So he isn't being neglected.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
so if hes in Avengers 4, they'll have to explain how hes been revived after the events of infinity war.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: