The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I give you all the bird ;-)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Sorry guys, I couldn't help the pun in the title line. :lol
For some reason in both English and German the reference to birds allows for a number of puns and word plays.
Anyway, one of the side effects of my on going laptop drama is that one day I frustratedly got some canvas when there was no working replacement available.
Among other I started a series (it is not yet finished) of pictures of which I can show you the first three now. It is not LBT related in any way I'm afraid.
Deserted Penguin:

Parrotice:

Jungull:

Any guesses what the next picture (in progress) might show?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You were right. They're relaxing to look at.

Could the next painting be a paradise bird on a mountain?  :D

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have to say, they really made me laugh. Sadly I'm not as creative as you are, so I have no idea what the next painting will be :p

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Wow, these are gorgeous! :wow

I wish I could draw backgrounds that well (Actually, I wish I could draw backgrounds, period :p). I've never really tried oil painting, but one of the things I admire about it is how one can create such beautiful landscapes with but a few strokes of a brush (at least, I imagine it to be relatively few compared to drawing with a pencil). How long did it take you to make these?

The sand dunes in the first, the waves in the second, and the grove of dark rainforest vegetation in the third are what mesmerize me the most in each picture. I like that you added the rotten log and scattered clumps of vegetation along the riverbank in the jungle scene; these sorts of natural "imperfections" make the landscape seem more real.

The birds are beautifully done, too. I am especially entranced by the scarlet macaw (I've always loved those birds). The penguin has a lot of personality as well: it looks like it's surveying its surroundings and thinking "Now how the heck did I end up here?" :lol Actually, believe it or not, there are some penguin speciesósuch as the Humboldt and black-footedóthat nest at the edge of deserts, but the emperor and king penguins are not among them. :p

As for constructive criticism, all I can come up with is a few comments on the proportions of the birds: the penguin's beak is slightly oversized, the macaw's neck looks a little skinny and perhaps a tiny bit too long, and the gull's legs are rather thick and possibly a little too far forward on its body, and its head (not the bill, just the head) is a bit small. That's pretty much it. Did you look at references for any of these birds (or the backgrounds, for that matter)? They really do look amazing. You even included the little red spot on the gull's bill! :! Not sure if you had any specific gull species in mind, but is it supposed to be a yellow-legged gull? Because it's a dead ringer for one. Likewise, the penguin looks to me to be most similar to a king penguin based on the "ear" marking, but perhaps you intended it to be an emperor, which looks almost the same.

As for what the fourth picture in the series could be, well…you've painted a polar bird in a desert setting, a rainforest bird in a polar setting, and a seabird in a rainforest setting. Could the next painting be a desert bird (such as an ostrich, sandgrouse, or roadrunner) on a beach?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Thank you very much for your responses :)
The pictures are not done with oil paint though. I did use oil paint a couple of times, but I got to admit I run frustrated with the endless time oil paint takes to dry and the mess it is likely to cause if one doesn't stay very clear of the image in its drying time. Also I made the experience that oil paintings tend to get rather dusty in the process of drying. I used acryl colors for these paintings which have most of the benefits of oil paint but without the long drying time and the bonus benefit that they can be worked with with water.
Could the next painting be a desert bird (such as an ostrich, sandgrouse, or roadrunner) on a beach?
Good guess :)
I guess I should have told that from the paintings posted so far one could make a logical guess on the location but not so much on the bird (other than that it would be uncommon for the location). Indeed the next image will be on a beach. In the attempt to get a little red into the image (with the ones so far having a certain focus on yellow, blue, and green respectively) it is a sunset or sunrise setting at the beach and I plan to paint an owl to it (first time I draw a bird in this series which I have actually drawn before ;)). I am thinking about another picture showing an appropriate setting for an owl (regular forrest / and field). If I am to finish it there I would likely paint a vulture into that setting (as a desert bird), but I also like the Ostrich and Roadrunner (Meep Meep) you suggested.
I think about adding another picture, but I don't think the ideas I have had so far are fitting very well, because the birds involved would still fit into the landscapes involved.
For example it would be kind of cool to have a mountain based image, but birds which I would associate with mountains (eagle, condor etc.) would not look totally out of place in a forest setting and a vulture (which I plan to paint for the desert) would also not look totally out of place in the mountains (resembling a condor)... perhaps if I put it really on a snow capped mountain top...
...oh well some of the ideas I had and discarded (involving eagles, birdcages, pidgeons and red glowing volcanoe craters) were bordering cruelty to animals :lol
The bird of paradise on a mountain you suggested is an interesting idea Hrvoje. The main problem is to get a mountain bird into a setting where it really doesn't fit. With the parrot "jungull" I may have also "used up" a proper bird and setting for the paradise bird.
Thank you very much for the constructive criticism Pangaea :yes Indeed the penguin is supposed to be an emperor penguin. I had googled for emperor penguin to find an image for orientation and so I did with the parrot. The gull is based on a picture of a gull I took in Scotland in 2005.

But just as you say the proportions of the body in particular aren't quite right. It was even worse at first (I did some corrective work along the back of the gull / shore of the river), but I was a bit reluctant to do the kind of correction along the river (which most likely would be more complex than the shore which may look more "ruffled" in terms of color... but looking at it again the darker "corrected" spot does stand out more than I'd like it to. Maybe I really got to get back to this picture one more time). With the color of the legs of the gull I was indeed surprised how yellow the legs of the photo I took of that gull looked. I don't know for sure which kind of species of gull it was, but I guess I need to get a thinner kind of stiff-bristled brush for the kind of detail. While doing the gull I was kind of worried that it might end up looking like a goose :p

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Oct 9 2012 on  06:15 PM
Thank you very much for your responses :)
The pictures are not done with oil paint though. I did use oil paint a couple of times, but I got to admit I run frustrated with the endless time oil paint takes to dry and the mess it is likely to cause if one doesn't stay very clear of the image in its drying time. Also I made the experience that oil paintings tend to get rather dusty in the process of drying. I used acryl colors for these paintings which have most of the benefits of oil paint but without the long drying time and the bonus benefit that they can be worked with with water.
See, I'm so unfamiliar with paint that I don't even know the types. :rolleyes:

I am thinking about another picture showing an appropriate setting for an owl (regular forrest / and field). If I am to finish it there I would likely paint a vulture into that setting (as a desert bird), but I also like the Ostrich and Roadrunner (Meep Meep) you suggested.
Ah, I didn't think to consider vultures. By the way, now that I think about it, while a roadrunner might not look out of place in your desert landscape, they really prefer scrubland environments; deserts with lots of cacti and shrubby vegetation, rather than the kinds with rolling sand dunes as far as the eye can see. So if the idea is that the birds in your paintings have "switched" habitats, then perhaps a roadrunner wouldn't be ideal. Then again, I'm guessing that most of the birds you'd typically find in that kind of desert would be just passing through; even the toughest of desert birds would prefer an environment where food was easier to find. So maybe it doesn't matter which kind of desert bird you use (especially since they wouldn't be appearing in the desert landscape anyway :p). Sorry, I think I'm rambling.

I think about adding another picture, but I don't think the ideas I have had so far are fitting very well, because the birds involved would still fit into the landscapes involved.
For example it would be kind of cool to have a mountain based image, but birds which I would associate with mountains (eagle, condor etc.) would not look totally out of place in a forest setting and a vulture (which I plan to paint for the desert) would also not look totally out of place in the mountains (resembling a condor)... perhaps if I put it really on a snow capped mountain top...
...oh well some of the ideas I had and discarded (involving eagles, birdcages, pidgeons and red glowing volcanoe craters) were bordering cruelty to animals :lol
The bird of paradise on a mountain you suggested is an interesting idea Hrvoje. The main problem is to get a mountain bird into a setting where it really doesn't fit. With the parrot "jungull" I may have also "used up" a proper bird and setting for the paradise bird.
Well, the alpine chough typically lives at high altitudes, but perhaps it's not a distinctive enough "mountain bird". There's also the red-billed chough, which is a little more striking in appearance, but apparently it's doesn't adhere to mountain habitats as much as its relative (it sometimes nests on sea cliffs), and it still might not scream "mountain bird out of place" to your satisfaction. I do think that if you illustrated a male Andean condor distinctively enough (with the "jowls" and big gray comb on its forehead), and put it in a setting far enough removed from its native habitat (not in a field, though maybe a forest; condors typically avoid forests because they prefer open spaces where they can spot food easily, not to mention fly without impediment, given their nine-foot wingspan), it could work for the out-of-place mountain bird. They do look pretty distinct from other vultures:

I do have some other ideas. Perhaps it's not as "natural", but you could paint a domestic bird like a chicken in a mountain scene, or perching high up in a coniferous tree, and put an exotic wild bird (such as the aforementioned condor) in a barnyard setting. You could also paint a bird that typically dwells in or near fresh water, such as a heron, duck, or swan, somewhere far from water (again, the mountain environment might work well), and then paint a pond or stream with a bird that you typically don't find near water.

The gull is based on a picture of a gull I took in Scotland in 2005.

But just as you say the proportions of the body in particular aren't quite right. It was even worse at first (I did some corrective work along the back of the gull / shore of the river), but I was a bit reluctant to do the kind of correction along the river (which most likely would be more complex than the shore which may look more "ruffled" in terms of color... but looking at it again the darker "corrected" spot does stand out more than I'd like it to. Maybe I really got to get back to this picture one more time). With the color of the legs of the gull I was indeed surprised how yellow the legs of the photo I took of that gull looked. I don't know for sure which kind of species of gull it was, but I guess I need to get a thinner kind of stiff-bristled brush for the kind of detail. While doing the gull I was kind of worried that it might end up looking like a goose :p
Whoa, that's a cool photo! :wow I guess it's most likely a lesser black-backed gull, since yellow-legged gulls apparently aren't typically found as far north as Scotland. (It's worth noting, though, that all my knowledge of European gull species comes from cursory browsing on Wikipedia, after I started wondering whether there were other kinds of gulls with a red spot on their bills besides the herring gull. So mine could hardly be called an expert opinion. :p) And for the record, I can assure you that I recognized the bird in your painting as a gull right away. :yes

Can't wait to see more artwork! :D

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.