The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anything that can record sound from movies?

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have PowerDVD, I'm going to somehow manage to get LBT 10 on dvd (in secret...well maybe not :lol ), since I really want the song "Bestest Friends" with the words and everything :P:

I was wondering if there are any programs you can buy that let you record like just sound clips from a movie...or is there one just built right into PowerDVD? :lol:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
There are a number of ways to record audio directly from Any source (including a DVD in your computer).

1) My preferred method involves using a program called Goldwave.

Say you want to record the song "Bestest Friends."  First of all, insert the DVD into your computer, and fast-forward to a point, shortly before where you want to start recording.  Pause the DVD.

Open Goldwave, go File > New, set the length to at Least 5 minutes (I like 10 minutes if I can't remember exactly where the part is that I'm recording.  You can always it cut it down later) and set the sampling rate to at least 44.1 kHz and stereo if you want full quality.  When you hit OK, you should see two lines on your screen, one red, one green.  Make this window with the lines fullscreen inside Goldwave so it's easier to see.

Now, in the Tools menu (I think  :lol  I'm not at home on my program right now, so I'm writing this from memory) look for something called "device controls"
Click that, and a small window with a bunch of buttons will pop up.  Find the Options button on that window (top-right with the box with the X in it, I think).  Click that.  Go through the tabs and select the tab that lets you see a number of different possible recording sources (WAV, MIDI, CD, What U Hear, Aux, etc etc).  If you don't the same ones I do, don't panic, it just means we have different sound cards.

Select the one that most closely resembles "WAV" or "Wave" or something of that nature.  Move the slider most of the way to the right.  This slider is the record gain.  Since the source DVD will be quiet enough, you can slide this all the way to the right full 100% volume.   This will produce the most complete recording, as it will pick up even slight audio from the DVD, without distorting the loudest sounds.

Now, you can close the options menu and return to the device controls.

Hit the red "record button."  If you get an error, then try holding CTRL while pressing the record button.  That's just a safety feature that may be turned on by default.  If that doesn't help the error, I'll get back to you, but I can't remember everything I've configured on my computer, off-hand.

If the recording is working, you will see a vertical bar moving across the horizontal lines on the fullscreen page.  If you see this, quickly return to the DVD and hit play.

Let the program record the Entire section that you want.
Hit Stop on the device controls to stop recording.  It will stop automatically when the time gets to the maximum that you specified when you first created the new wave file.

Now, you can cut the wave file down to Exactly where you want it.  Left click to set a starting point, and right-click to set an ending point for any selection in the program.  When you select an area, both the left and right channels (speakers) will automatically select.

Zoom in on the start, and locate where, EXACTLY, you want to start the wave file.  Remove everything before that point.  Be conservative with your cutting, because unless you have a fair amount of RAM, undoing errors is not a really fun thing to do.  There are fade-in and fade-out controls as well, under "filters" I believe.  You can select a section of the wave, select the fade-in or fade-out to smooth an opening or conclusion of a wave.  I use this all the time  :p

When you have the wave cut the way you want, go to file > save as.  From there you can save it as a .wav, .MP3 in any quality you want, or a number of other audio formats.  You will see them all listed in the "save as..." box that pops up.

I recommend saving a recording as an MP3
44100 Hz
at least 128 Kb/s for decent quality.  if size isn't an issue, go with 256 kb/s or 320 kb/s.  At 128 kb/s, the file will be approximately 1 MB per minute.

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them later, but I have to go to class in about 5 minutes (I"m at college right now  :lol )

There are other programs like this as well, but I find goldwave the most user-friendly, and useful.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
LF fan:  http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/

That is the answer to all your trouble.  Awesome program.  If you have the money, buy it after the 30 day FULL FEATURED trial runs out.  ;)  I've loved this program since day one and free upgrades for life is even better....I now have flac support.  :D

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I had no idea how old my copy was....I had 3.1 and I upgraded just now. FLAC is awesome!  :D  Screw WAV and mp3.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
lol what about .ogg :P:

I heard they were really high quality and alot smaller than .wav. I really only use them for Byond since it can't run mp3s and wavs are so dang huge lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I only have a minute or so to be on here before I have to go again, but

I can send you any LBT song you want.  I actually have all of them recorded onto my computer already (some 256 kb/s MP3 and some 320 kb/s MP3)

Just give me a list and I can post the songs on www.yousendit.com

they can only be up for a few days though.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ok, I actually have time to respond this time!

Goldwave does take a bit of getting used to, but it is very useful if you can figure it out, especially for making precise recordings.  It is a trial version as well, but you can use the full functionality of it for as long as you want.  I have used goldwave for a few years now.  If you use it a lot, you may have to uninstall it and reinstall it every year or so, when you reach some sort of limit, but it's not a big deal.

If you're interested, I can send you Every song from the LBT series (about 260 MB of MP3s) over yousendit.

And certainly, if you want to save Goldwave projects as .ogg, you can do that too  :DD (if you download the encoder off the site I linked, above)

To RogerRabbit: I like MP3 for three reasons:

1) I have a lot of music (a bit over 10 GB worth), and not a very big hard drive.  MP3 is decent quality without killing my hard drive space.

2) My car has an MP3 CD player, and a WMA CD player, but I Cannot combine WMA files and MP3 files onto a single disc to play in my car.  Also, I can fit a lot more songs on an MP3 CD than on a WMA cd encoded with FLAC.  I'm not even sure my car's CD player can read FLAC files; I haven't tried.  The speakers in my car aren't good enough to warrent that kind of quality anyway  :p

3) MP3 files decode faster than FLAC files.  This is Very useful for me, doing midi projects, as I tend to stop/pause/resume/change play position a lot while I'm working on a midi.  Load times, and other weird skips causes by buffering, are Not ideal for me.  

However, if your sound delivery system is good enough, by all means, FLAC or other lossless formats are the way to go.  Just remember that many cheaper speakers / headphones will show very little difference.  I almost think that the quality is psychological, on cheap speakers.  It's encoded "better" so it sounds "better" even if the difference is Very slight.  I just know that on my cheap speakers, the FLAC recordings sound no different than my MP3 conversions.  I will definately admit though, that the FLAC files sound better through my headphones, than the MP3s.  Headphones are known to be overall, higher-quality than full-sized speakers.  I do all my music work with headphones.  I don't trust these speakers.

But if you just want the song "Bestest Friends" I can send that to you, no problem :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
To LF fan:  ogg is good for compressed computer playback, but the downside is very few portable devices support it; also, ogg is cpu intensive to decode compared to other formats so any portable devices that do support ogg suffer shorter battery playback times if they're playing ogg files

To action:  I don't really agree with your "mp3 is easier to decode than flac" statement.  Best thing to do is run the files on your computer and see which uses less ram to decode in your player of choice.  Maybe its different for different computer configurations.  Note, its very miniscule, but its there--I'm talking 1-2mb at the most.  Using foobar2000 (minimized to the system tray), a 900kpbs avg. flac file uses about 3,900kb of system memory during playback; I did a 320kbps mp3 and its either the same, or its about 5,200kb (guess it depends on encoder)...like I said, nothing really significant.  WMA is another story...up to 7,500kb if its a vbr file.  I don't keep oggs since I have no support for them outside of my computer.

I keep flac for the fact that space is not an issue since I don't have many cds, and plus, compression will always change the file in some way, noticable or not.  Very often I can't tell any difference unless I'm playing back some soundtrack piece with a lot of cymbals, then it isn't too hard to pick out the mp3 or wma file since they both have issues with cymbal rolls.  That's about it.

(This is all we talk about in MSN anymore it seems. :nyah  Yet, we back ourselves up quite well for different reasons.)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Edit: I just realize you meant decode as in for editing.  :slap  :slap  :slap  Can't comment on that since I don't do that stuff.  I thought you meant decoding during playback....

:o