The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Trying to burn a movie file onto a dvd

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't know what to do. I've tried almost everything, but in the end, it all seems to fail :(

I have a movie file of "Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children" in mpg format. I also have one in avi format but action9000 (He's been helping me with this :P:) told me to convert since that might work with nero since .avi doesn't. I did, after about 10 hours of converting, the new movie file still couldn't be accepted by nero.

I have some program called "Roxio: Easy cd/dvd burning...or whatever it's called :lol:" and a pack of blank dvds. The only reason I even have that Roxio program is because before when I started this, I didn't think Nero could burn dvds so I went out and bought a program that does, heh

Roxio didn't accept the .avi format either. So after coverting, Nero still didn't accept it but Roxio did. However for some odd reason whenever I put it in Roxio to be ready to burned, it almost doubles the size of the video which makes it too big to fit on the dvd X.X

I even tried this other feature with Roxio that's supposed to be like "classic" or "simple" burning. It kept the file size the way it was but I couldn't find the dang burn button! Whenever I clicked "Burn compilation" it would just bring me to a screen that would have me set the speed and everything, and when I clicked ok, it didn't do anything!

So now I'm stuck as I have no idea what to try next. Nero won't except neither .avi nor .mpg, Roxio accepts .mpg but one feature makes it too big, and the other one doesn't even have a burn button or anything X.X

However I could be doing this all wrong as I really don't have a clue about any of this, :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Hmm...mpeg files shouldn't be a problem...do you know if you made it mpeg-1 or mpeg-2?  Reason I ask is because mpeg-2 is the standard for DVD and unless Roxio or Nero can convert the file to a different mpeg version (not free to get the codec to do that) it probably can do a VCD, but not a DVD.

Do you have the specs of the mpeg file?  Action is correct--avi to DVD is next to impossible.  Don't ask me why, but I haven't been able to get it to work either.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
He converted it to Mpeg-2.  Neither one of us were entirely sure which option was more appropriate for burning onto a DVD.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well I'm extremely happy now as I realized that it can indeed work :D  Basically the reason it was nearly doubling the file size on Roxio was because I had it on some option where it increases the quality majorly. So I switched that. It still gave me the error of being too big though, however I tried another video file smaller and it worked fine :P: The quality was perfect and everything. So I'm gonna ask my dad when he gets home to take me to get a bigger blank dvd since I saw much bigger ones there.

Also I tried converting it to mpeg 1 but the only option was VCD and when I put it in Roxio it said it may not display properly on the tv. So I'm just gonna stick with mpeg 2

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Since when can a dvd be bigger than 4.7GB?  :huh:  No matter what you do, there are limitations...and my biggest has been 90 minutes of video for self-made stuff.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Maybe he means dual-layer....I can't remember; is the 4.7 GB one layer or two?

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hehe oops. Yea when I was at Best Buy I could've sworn I saw blank dvds that were bigger but I guess the real only bigger one is the double layered one.

Well when I was at Circuit City lookin for a bigger one the guy told me to get DVD Shrink. I downloaded it, but it does nothing what I want :blink: I have no idea what its purpose is (Maybe I just don't know how to use it, I don't know) but it doesn't seem to "compress" files which is what he told me it did...

So I'm stuck again :rolleyes: aahh well at least I know it works I just have to find a way to get the file smaller :P:

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I can't do this. This is driving me crazy. :bang

Ok, I managed to get it to fit on a dvd by taking out the credits. However now when I play it on a tv, it's all messed up.

Whenever the pictures move too fast I guess, or if it's too graphically intense in one area, little colorful squares will appear all over the place, and believe me this happens almost always. Also the overall color of it is a bit messed up as things tend to have a green look to them.

So my dad asked his friend to make me a movie of it since that's one of the things he actually does for a living (He was also the one who built my computer). So I'll see what happens over the weekend :D