The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Lone Dinosaur MIDI

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey all, another MIDI completed!

Here's the final release of Lone Dinosaur!  As always, comments are much appreciated.

Personally, I am not as happy with this one as the others I have released.  Maybe it's just the song, but this turned to be a little bit loud and chaotic, compared to similar songs like Adventuring.  Some elements of the song were difficult to program in MIDI, such as guitar strumming or some of the vocal expressions.  I did what I could to emulate some of it as best I could.  The original song isn't particularily expressive either, so there wasn't a lot to work with.

Anywho, Enjoy!
http://www.angelfire.com/az3/action9000/index.html
I think I'll go with something a little more...mysterious...as my next MIDI project B)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I like this very much.  The low end synthesizer works well for the voices.  You kept telling me on MSN how much trouble the percussion was giving you, but I think you hit it pretty well on the nose.  Keep up the good work.  :D What's your next project?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Is there any LBT song you CAN'T do well at? :lol (No need to answer that.)

In a word, I LOVED it!  I'm really one of the few who likes "The Lone Dinosaur." It's mainly the tune, and not the lyrics. :p

It was very nice.  Just absolutely perfect. :)

If you keep this up, there's no way anyone can say "no" to giving you a job in the MIDI feild.

Keep it up, and I see a great future for you. :^.^:

Keep up the great work.  Can't wait for the next one. :)

See ya later. :^.^:

EDIT: Oh, and congrates on the new Mod possition. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Is there any LBT song you CAN'T do well at? (No need to answer that.)
(I feel like answering it anyway! :lol )
LOL I actually think this song is one of them, but I suppose it's not so bad! B)
If you're waiting for me to screw one up ( :lol ), It'll probably be one of:

-Bad Luck (mainly the very beginning, but I'll see what I can do)

-Girls and Dads (I'm not very good at pitch bending stuff like jazz guitars, but I'll try :p)

-You're One Of Us Now (how on Earth am I going to write some of those "spoken" parts into a MIDI? Still trying to figure that out  :p)

-Who Needs You (another one I have no idea how to translate effectively into MIDI, mainly because of the relative lack of a clear melody for much of the vocal parts.)

- The Lesson (same reason; I may just leave out some of the "spoken" lines, or make it into sort of a light jazzy style.  We'll see!)

My main concerns on some songs are the spoken lines where I can't just plunk down an instrument to play the same thing as found in the original.  I'll need to come up with some clever way around this problem, such as a variation of some sort.

I'm really one of the few who likes "The Lone Dinosaur." It's mainly the tune, and not the lyrics.
I like it too :) It's kind of a catchy little song that seems to be enjoyed by a number of people, despite the lyrics.  People just seem to live the lively western-theme of the song! :yes

If you keep this up, there's no way anyone can say "no" to giving you a job in the MIDI feild.
Thanks a lot, Poke :) I just hope a future employer thinks the same (talking probably years away, but you never know :p)

What's your next project?
Trying playing these notes on your music keyboard if you're curious:

C#, B, C#, E (lower), C# (same as the first note), B, C#, F (lower), A(higher), E(higher), A(lower). :p

If that doesn't help, try playing:
C#, D, E, E, F#, E, D, C#, E... :lol

EDIT: Oh, and congrates on the new Mod possition.
Haha, thanks! :yes
Thanks to the Admins (and everyone here) as well, for having faith in me! :P:
(only thing I don't like is that everyone can see when I've gone back to fix typos in my posts because of that"Edited by action9000" comment.  You can always tell when I made a typo now, LOL :lol )

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Thanks to the Admins (and everyone here) as well, for having faith in me!

(only thing I don't like is that everyone can see when I've gone back to fix typos in my posts because of that"Edited by action9000" comment. You can always tell when I made a typo now, LOL)

Actually, trying not to go too off topic, I can remove that so its optional--you can have it say "edited by" if you choose (there are times you do want that there).  Try it now...just made it so you don't have to live with that on.  ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I see (that is hear) what it is that you are not happy with Tim, but I suppose that some things really can't be transfered into MIDI 1:1. What you did comes really close to it though :)
I don't think that anything could come much closer. Even without being a perfect copy of what we know anyway from the movie this MIDI of yours is a joy to listen to  :yes
I really like your new avatar. Much more fitting a choice than the previous one I think.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I can remove that so its optional--you can have it say "edited by" if you choose (there are times you do want that there). Try it now...just made it so you don't have to live with that on.
Ahh, this is perfect, RR.  Thanks. B)

I see (that is hear) what it is that you are not happy with Tim, but I suppose that some things really can't be transfered into MIDI 1:1.
Some songs are certainly easier to translate into MIDI than others.  This proved to be rather difficult to translate accurately due to the nature and chaos even in the original song.  It is beyond my abilities to handle exceptionally well.  The quality of this one really depends on the sound card because I balanced it very carefully in order to reduce the chaos problem so prevalent in it.  I'll post an mp3 recording of this one on the sound card I wrote on.  Perhaps it will sound a bit better.

http://action9000.freehostonline.com/index.html

Even without being a perfect copy of what we know anyway from the movie this MIDI of yours is a joy to listen to :yes
Thank you for the compliment, Malte :)

I know MIDIs aren't generally especially beautiful when it comes to sound quality, but I find them a very good starting point for recreating a song in a format that everyone can use how they please.  The main reason I'm doing these as MIDIs is so that people can access the sheet music if desired, and learn to play the songs themselves B) The second reason is for collection purposes; to contribute something new to the LBT community.  A third reason is a way to give people interested in the songs a chance to listen to them outside the films (in instrumental form, at least) who aren't able to record the songs from the films themselves.  Also, MIDIs are Much smaller and easier to share over the Internet than Mp3s.  

Regarding MP3s, I'm going to post a new topic in this forum.  I have a bit of an annoucement to anyone interested in the further development of my LBT music! :yes I found a much better webhost with over 100 MB of space and excessive amounts of bandwidth.  It's not quite as fast, but there's a ton more space to work with! B)

I really like your new avatar. Much more fitting a choice than the previous one I think.
I agree.  Thank you! :wow

trexmaster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
This is terrific stuff you can do (my favorite piece of music produced by you has to be the tribal version of "Always There"---it has a really prehistoric sound)! What software do you use for all that?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is terrific stuff you can do
Thank you, I do appreciate it.  You know, since a few people seem to show interest in my work, I shall continue to release more around here as I have time.  I recently had to go through some computer maintenance but I'm set up once again, ready for anything! Muahahahaha! :lol

my favorite piece of music produced by you has to be the tribal version of "Always There"---it has a really prehistoric sound
LOL I actually wrote that at 2 in the morning in about 45 minutes, for lack of something better to do! :P: But I agree, I enjoy it as well.  I may use the first part of that in an original composition someday, if I ever need Tribal music in a game or something.  The "Always There" section is still a bit broken, but I may get around to cleaning it up someday. B)

What software do you use for all that?
For the MIDI files, I use two programs:
Noteworthy Composer
With this, I can write a MIDI file that looks just like sheet music in a music book.  The nice thing about this is that the files can be printed, and the software makes sense to people who know something about music.  The downside is that it lacks fast, efficient control of MIDI events.  In other words, changing volumes and stereo panning of instruments at certain points in Noteworthy is a bit of a pain.

Dowload the trial version of Noteworthy and import a MIDI file into it.  You'll see that a MIDI contains nothing but sheet music data.

To solve the controller issues, I use
FL Studio 6: Producer Edition
This program is fully functional and able to write MIDI and MP3 files.  On the MIDI side, data is entered on basically a graph.  Height is note pitch, length is time.  Multiple instruments can, like Noteworthy, be layered together.  Just draw the chart and it plays the music. B)   The nice thing about FL over Noteworthy is that controllers are just as easy to use as entering notes is.  Making an instrument louder or softer is as simple as drawing a graph going up or down, on a graph (height is volume, length is time).

The nice thing about MIDIs are that they're relatively easy to produce, there is some free software (Noteworthy is about $40, but Anvil Studio is a free MIDI program), the files are tiny and easy to share, and anyone's computer can run a MIDI sequencing (writing) program.  If you can run Solitaire, write a text file, or surf the Internet, you can write MIDI files.

----------------------------------------------------

For creating the Tribal MP3, I used
FL Studio 6: Producer Edition
(didn't I say I used that for MIDIs sometimes?)

Yep!  FL is a great all-in-one Host Program.
(Host Program?)

FL Studio is set up to host other programs which can function as Plugins.  A user can load up FL, then plug other programs into it to expand it.

(What are plugins for?)
These plugin programs can be for anything; they can add effects to sounds, help enhance a sound, or even Produce a sound (hint, hint)!

Here's the plugin I used to create the Tribal Mix.
Colossus
I purchased it awhile back for half price (still $500!).

Colossus is an instrument library.
(A what?)
It contains a massive database (massive as in 32 GB (yes Gigabytes) on 8 DVDs, all of which is copied to my computer's hard drive) of .WAV files, basically. The wav files are recordings of real musical instruments, such as drums, guitars, people shouting, pan flutes, you name it, playing.  These wav files are then compiled together into useable groups called "Patches".  The end user (me) can load up these patches and use the sounds to create music.  All of the sounds in the Tribal mix are sounds from Colossus.

Basically, I load up FL Studio, load up Colossus into a mixer port in FL, tie Colossus to a MIDI track, also written in FL.  Suddenly the MIDI data written in FL is sent to the sounds of Colossus.  The playback can be rendered to an MP3 file, producing the song on my website. B)

I also own
Symphonic Orchestra: Gold Edition
which functions as a plugin just as Colossus does.  Symphonic Gold contains the sounds of a full orchestra in 15 GB of recordings.  I plan to use Symphonic Gold to extract the music in the LBT series into MP3 files.

(how are you going to do that?)
Well, the original movies have sound effects and dialogue covering up the music in the background.  I am going to go through each of the LBT films and record each segment of each film into its own MP3 file.  

(but that still leaves you with all of the sound effects and dialogue in the MP3)
Right, so how do we remove that?  That's where the hard work comes in.  I am going to re-compose the music by listening to the originals, and rewriting them by ear, trying to get them as close to the originals as possible.  With the help of FL Studio and Symphonic Gold, I hope to produce soundtracks of each of the sequels.  A huge job, I know, but I'll work on it slowly, as I have time. :yes

trexmaster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Ugh, Colossus sounds too expensive. :blink: Guess I'll have to wait until I'm out of my parents' house and I have a source of income.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ugh, Colossus sounds too expensive.
LOL Tell me about it! :bang  About half of my summer employment income went towards buying these two plugins.
One more year until I get a real job, one more year until I get a real job... :P:

Remember MIDI is free.  MSN me if you want to try Noteworthy Composer.  MIDI contains 128 distinct instruments + a lot of percussion.  It's a great starting point since going any further is so expensive.

action9000@hotmail.com

(BTW It looks like the FL Studio website isn't working right now.)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh by the way, if you intend to run Colossus, Symphonic Gold, or any other multi-GB sound libraries, you WILL need a pretty high-end computer.  

Here's what I recommend:
Pentium 4 2.4GHz / Athlon XP 2400+ or higher.  I run a Pentium 4 3GHz and it can keep up with basically everything I've thrown at it.

1.5 GB of RAM (the more, the better.  I run 2.5 GB in my computer, and that seems like enough).  The sounds will play mainly from your RAM, so you need a ton.

Enough hard drive space for all of your instruments.  My two plugins and software add up to nearly 50 GB.  Also, if you can, put each sound library on its own hard drive to help improve streaming playback of each library.  Not ALL sound data is loaded into RAM.  Some is streamed from the hard drive(s) during playback.  This isn't necessary though.  I'm running both my plugins off one hard drive and it works pretty good.

trexmaster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Aug 8 2006 on  03:02 AM
Oh by the way, if you intend to run Colossus, Symphonic Gold, or any other multi-GB sound libraries, you WILL need a pretty high-end computer.  

Here's what I recommend:
Pentium 4 2.4GHz / Athlon XP 2400+ or higher.  I run a Pentium 4 3GHz and it can keep up with basically everything I've thrown at it.

1.5 GB of RAM (the more, the better.  I run 2.5 GB in my computer, and that seems like enough).  The sounds will play mainly from your RAM, so you need a ton.

Enough hard drive space for all of your instruments.  My two plugins and software add up to nearly 50 GB.  Also, if you can, put each sound library on its own hard drive to help improve streaming playback of each library.  Not ALL sound data is loaded into RAM.  Some is streamed from the hard drive(s) during playback.  This isn't necessary though.  I'm running both my plugins off one hard drive and it works pretty good.
50 GB? I hope you intended to type MB, because none of my hard drives, not even the mostly empty ones, have that much GB.

As for the other specs, well my computer's not the most powerful these days, but it isn't bad and can run some of the newer games (Black & White 2 and Age of Empires III for example) out there, so it isn't unreasonably behind.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
50 GB? I hope you intended to type MB, because none of my hard drives, not even the mostly empty ones, have that much GB.
I'm afraid I meant GB, not MB, my friend. :P:  The instruments come on multiple DVDs, which need to be copied to the computer's hard drive.
Colossus installs to 32 GB on the hard drive.  
Symphonic Gold installs to 15 GB.  This totals 47 GB.
FL Studio is easily the smallest program (aside from Noteworthy) that I use.  It's around 40 MB.

Since Colossus and many other larger sound libraries come on DVD discs, you will need a DVD drive in your computer.  The reason they come on DVDs is simple: A CD hold about 600 MB of data.  A DVD holds over 4 GB of data.  When you want to install a program files that is many GB in size, it's much easier and less painful to install 8 DVDs than it is to install 50 CDs.  

Even so, Colossus takes almost an hour to fully install. :P:

Compare this to a MIDI sequencing program such as Noteworthy Composer, which can almost fit on a floppy disk. :P: