The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Something I noticed

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Looking back at the 7th movie, I noticed that during the kidnapping and when Petrie flies after his Uncle I noticed that his mother who was aware of what was going on had not come with him when she was perfectly capable and in my opinion completely obliged o help with the attempted rescue but she didn't. Her involvement might have prevented the kidnapping from even happening but she just stayed put or who knows why. I guess it's just a little detail that the film makers didn't notice. Anyway what are your thoughts?
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm...I've never noticed that.  I'm sure it's an error on the filmmakers' part :unsure:.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Aye, it is such details along with some improbable solutions (e.g. using a volcano as an elevator), illogical timing (e.g. these flyers seriously didn't reach that volcano in the time it took the kids to get there even though the flyers had a lead of like half a night and half a day), strange coloring (e.g. green lava), deus ex machina solutions (e.g. Star Trek Rainbowfaces) and serious plotholes (why exactly did they abduct Ducky to begin with? They had absolutely no reason whatsoever to do that. Had Pterano announced to the assembled adults in the valley that he was going for the stone of cold fire to rule them all he probably would have earned himself a collective shrug and an "be off already" from Cera's father. Abducting Ducky was really the one way to ensure that he would be pursued eventually) are aspects that kept a movie with some really great ideas (e.g. Pterano's past) from being great altogether in my opinion.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Aye, it is such details along with some improbable solutions (e.g. using a volcano as an elevator), illogical timing (e.g. these flyers seriously didn't reach that volcano in the time it took the kids to get there even though the flyers had a lead of like half a night and half a day), strange coloring (e.g. green lava), deus ex machina solutions (e.g. Star Trek Rainbowfaces) and serious plotholes (why exactly did they abduct Ducky to begin with? They had absolutely no reason whatsoever to do that. Had Pterano announced to the assembled adults in the valley that he was going for the stone of cold fire to rule them all he probably would have earned himself a collective shrug and an "be off already" from Cera's father. Abducting Ducky was really the one way to ensure that he would be pursued eventually) are aspects that kept a movie with some really great ideas (e.g. Pterano's past) from being great altogether in my opinion.
I'm sorry but I have to tear this one apart  :p

You denounce a few things about the movie but can you tell me what they could/should have done instead?

Let's start with the volcano. Do you have an alternate idea how the gang could get up that mountain quick in order to be there prior to Pterano, Rinkus and Sierra (who could have been there within an hour but what would the movie have to gain from them being there a day before the gang even arrive there? The story would have had to change quite a bit!!! The whole scene on Threehorn Peak just wouldn't be possible since the Flyers would have found and *used* (failing obviously) the Stone of Cold Fire already!)? The idea (of the Rainbowfaces who are interesting characters!) is actually quite cool. Remember this is made for kids, not for our small group of adult fans. I was pretty amazed by that geysir they used to get to the top as a kid... Whether that is actually possible or not, is not a convincing argument, considering that dinosaurs actually can't talk or perform certain movement that the actual dinosaurs couldn't. This is fictional so it mustn't necessarily be tied to things that only work in reality.
Now an alternate way to get up there let's see... they could climb like in LBT 8 where they climbed up the Great Wall from the Mysterious Beyond. Would only take them a while and the flyers would have to sleep very long (or the gang would have to get up in the middle of the night), otherwise your complaint about the flyers taking too much time would be even stronger! So it was good they took a shortcut!

Strange colouring... okay I get that it shouldn't look like that but seriously what is so bad about that? There are situations where I can agree with you that the colouring was unnecessarily messed up (eg. during the tsunami in LBT 5) but here it is not annoying at all in my opinion. Quite the contrary, it adds a bit of mystery to the cave that the lava is green. Colours have been manipulated ever since the original movie to convey emotions (Littlefoot probably had at least 3 or 4 different colour palettes in the first movie) and this here is no different at all. The cave is mysterious and the animators made it shine in a green hue, including the lava which is also green, to suggest just that. Same with changing to red when there's danger (though that's been done to excessively!) or the green sky in LBT 8 & 13 in the Mysterious Beyond. In short, ain't a problem for me :)

You're complaining about deus ex machina solutions? Well, they're everywhere in movies, you know? Like I said above, find a better solution before ranting about the movie unnecessarily... one can rant all day about various things but ranting won't help you, finding solutions does ;) So what should the gang do to get up that mountain? Should the Rainbowfaces not exist altogether or be reduced to meaningless background characters because they are delivering such solutions?

I agree that there are many obvious plotholes in some sequels but the one you point out really isn't a plothole... Nobody knew if the Stone had the powers it was predicted to have but I'm sure the grown-ups wouldn't just let Pterano gain that possible power. Even if it's just non-sense (as it turned out later on), could they risk that Pterano might gain huge power in the event that their doubts turn out to be false? And even if the grown-ups didn't think that way, I'm sure Pterano wouldn't want them to know what he's up to. After all, he claims that he would like to prove the righteousness of his actions and be accepted in the Valley again. Now setting off towards the Stone of Cold Fire is one of the most suspicious things Pterano could have done so it would be better if the grown-ups didn't know of his journey alltogether! But then Ducky comes along, hearing information that would make the grown-ups VERY suspicious. It was only logical that they had to prevent her from passing on that very information to the grown-ups... only the way they did that was anything but helping. They should have knocked her unconscious or tied her beak together so she couldn't alert the Valley. Nobody would have known what happened to Ducky or where she is...
I doubt Mr. Threehorn would just shrug when Pterano showed up to tell him THAT! I'm not sure but I don't think Pterano would be tolerated in the Valley whatsoever. At the point of the kidnapping, Pterano was believing that none of the grown-ups (aside from Mrs. Flyer) knew of his presence to begin with...
Pterano did have valid reasons to order the abduction of Ducky so it's not a plothole! This could be discussed further in a separate thread... [EDIT: Here you go!
Here you go!]

Now a response to the original post of this thread:

I'm completely with you on that one, Lone Dragon. I never thought about it this way but indeed Petrie's Mother should have intervened!
Inactive, probably forever.

jorrdy12

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I agree with Ducky123 she should have intervened (Wow Ducky123 u had nothing to do? that was alot Not that im complaining)

I must say tho in the volcano it was a very deux ex machina way, like hey! we need to get up there, better use this volcano thats right in front of us that wasn't really there before oh well! But it would have changed the movie.
The universe has a beginning, but no end. —Infinite.
The stars too have beginnings, but their power accompanies their decline.  —Finite.
It the wise who are the most foolish. History has taught us as much.
The fish of the sea know not the world of the land. Were they to possess wisdom, they too would experience decline.
It is more absurd that humans should surpass the speed of light than it is that fish should start living on the land.
- Steins;Gate (anime / visual novel)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I agree with Ducky123 she should have intervened (Wow Ducky123 u had nothing to do? that was alot Not that im complaining)
Well, you haven't read some really long posts in older discussions... my post is short compared to those  :angel When I have something to discuss, then I do if I have time to write such a long post (today I did).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
You denounce a few things about the movie but can you tell me what they could/should have done instead?

Let's start with the volcano. Do you have an alternate idea how the gang could get up that mountain quick in order to be there prior to Pterano, Rinkus and Sierra (who could have been there within an hour but what would the movie have to gain from them being there a day before the gang even arrive there?
I would have changed the plot in such a way that the Pterano would still require some information from Littlefoot or one of the others to find the stone (or some additional information on what exactly its alleged powers were or how to unleash them). Such a simple change would correct the logic flaw of why the flyers weren't able to get to the stone first.
Such a plot could even give Pterano a reason to abduct Ducky. Forcing the other kids to follow them so he could get more information from them in the Mysterious Beyond rather than in the Valley under the watchful eyes of the kids parents.
If Pterano abducted Ducky more silently (without causing an all out stampede in the Valley) a plot would have been possible in which only Petrie realized that Ducky was abducted by his uncle. Not only would that have caused another conflict of conscience for Petrie but it would even have corrected the major flaw of Pterano's deliberately provoking the adults into persecuting him (perhaps he could have given Petrie a "follow me on your own without the parents!" kind of message).
The idea (of the Rainbowfaces who are interesting characters!) is actually quite cool. Remember this is made for kids, not for our small group of adult fans.
I agree they were interesting, but the Star Trek beaming in the end seemed really ill fitting to me. Had they been kept more mysterious (similar to Doc) I think it would have been more impressive. This is of course a matter of personal taste and I think I am pretty much alone with the view that Star Trek, gore, science fiction technology etc. got no business in the land before time.
Strange colouring... okay I get that it shouldn't look like that but seriously what is so bad about that?
Again a matter of taste. Personally I think a volcano spewing something like spinach is something in need of improvement. If you don't feel that need I am certainly not out to convince you others, I am certainly not out to talk you into having a problem with it.
You're complaining about deus ex machina solutions? Well, they're everywhere in movies, you know?
True and wrong at the same time.
There are plenty of situations of last minute saves. But most of the time they had been built up and were not something that could have happened all along (like it would have been the most natural matter of course things imaginary for the adult flyers of the valley to go after Pterano after he abducted Ducky). In LBT 6 we see grandpa to the rescue brought there by Littlefoot's friends and Doc's previous farewell also made his appearance plausible.
LBT 5 perhaps had the extremest case of Deus ex machina in the form of Elzy's sudden appearance. But while that was not an elegant solution it was at least something that could possibly happen. A flyer capable of carrying Littlefoot, Cera and Spike is just a lazy excuse. I agree that one shouldn't apply too extreme logic on land before time movies. But I still think there is a difference between bending plausibility a little and making up something outright impossible defying all logic. If you think different, that is fine and I am not trying to convince you otherwise. Personally I want a good story to like rather than so much wishing to like a story that I don't require for it to be good anymore.
Nobody knew if the Stone had the powers it was predicted to have but I'm sure the grown-ups wouldn't just let Pterano gain that possible power. Even if it's just non-sense (as it turned out later on), could they risk that Pterano might gain huge power in the event that their doubts turn out to be false?
As I already wrote in your other thread the makers of LBT 7 had taken extreme efforts to establish that the adults in the Valley didn't believe in the stone of Cold Fire. They even had Cera's father repeat that after "Beyond the Mysterious beyond" to make sure that it was perfectly clear that the rainbow faces didn't convince anyone. If that is still not enough to convince you that the adults in the Valley didn't care at all about the stone the fact that they didn't hurry to prevent the flyers from reaching it. The alleged powers of the stone didn't play much of a role in the adults discussion.
It would have been odd enough if those powers had played a role, because it has never ever actually been specified what exactly that stone was supposed to do. There is absolutely no reason for Pterano to believe that the stone would allow for him to dominate or controll anyone at all (which I consider another major plothole of LBT 7).
In spite of all that, I do not hate LBT 7, but I thought it a great pity that some good ideas were largely wasted due to flaws such as those mentioned above.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would have changed the plot in such a way that the Pterano would still require some information from Littlefoot or one of the others to find the stone (or some additional information on what exactly its alleged powers were or how to unleash them). Such a simple change would correct the logic flaw of why the flyers weren't able to get to the stone first.
Such a plot could even give Pterano a reason to abduct Ducky. Forcing the other kids to follow them so he could get more information from them in the Mysterious Beyond rather than in the Valley under the watchful eyes of the kids parents.
Now that's something I can be happy with :) Indeed, it would be an interesting plot to use Ducky as a "bait" to lure Littlefoot out into the Mysterious Beyond for further interrogations.

If Pterano abducted Ducky more silently (without causing an all out stampede in the Valley) a plot would have been possible in which only Petrie realized that Ducky was abducted by his uncle. Not only would that have caused another conflict of conscience for Petrie but it would even have corrected the major flaw of Pterano's deliberately provoking the adults into persecuting him (perhaps he could have given Petrie a "follow me on your own without the parents!" kind of message).
Yeah, like I said Pterano would have got away without anybody noticing if he had managed to silence Ducky. I agree that Petrie is the most likely to figure out who abducted her. If Pterano AND Ducky go missing all of a sudden... ;) I'm not sure if it'd be wise of Pterano to give Petrie that kind of message. Petrie is gullible and easy to influence but even Petrie would realise that his uncle may not mean everything he says... and I'm sure he wouldn't approve of him taking Ducky with him...

I agree they were interesting, but the Star Trek beaming in the end seemed really ill fitting to me. Had they been kept more mysterious (similar to Doc) I think it would have been more impressive. This is of course a matter of personal taste and I think I am pretty much alone with the view that Star Trek, gore, science fiction technology etc. got no business in the land before time.
Well, I guess it's really a matter of personal taste... or rather a matter of how much it bothers us. I won't deny that it could have worked without the beaming at the end but it's not really making the movie any worse in my opinion...

Again a matter of taste. Personally I think a volcano spewing something like spinach is something in need of improvement. If you don't feel that need I am certainly not out to convince you others, I am certainly not out to talk you into having a problem with it.
I guess so.

True and wrong at the same time.
There are plenty of situations of last minute saves. But most of the time they had been built up and were not something that could have happened all along (like it would have been the most natural matter of course things imaginary for the adult flyers of the valley to go after Pterano after he abducted Ducky). In LBT 6 we see grandpa to the rescue brought there by Littlefoot's friends and Doc's previous farewell also made his appearance plausible.
LBT 5 perhaps had the extremest case of Deus ex machina in the form of Elzy's sudden appearance. But while that was not an elegant solution it was at least something that could possibly happen. A flyer capable of carrying Littlefoot, Cera and Spike is just a lazy excuse. I agree that one shouldn't apply too extreme logic on land before time movies. But I still think there is a difference between bending plausibility a little and making up something outright impossible defying all logic. If you think different, that is fine and I am not trying to convince you otherwise. Personally I want a good story to like rather than so much wishing to like a story that I don't require for it to be good anymore.
I agree that Elsie was nothing else but a tool to get them across the water :p In your original post you were only referring to the Rainbowfaces who I don't consider a deus ex machina solution, however I can't argue about the flyers. Still... they would have been toasted by the lava if that didn't happen!   ^^spike Climbing down or taking the same route they went up was out of question. The lava would have caught up with them or they would have fallen to their death...

As I already wrote in your other thread the makers of LBT 7 had taken extreme efforts to establish that the adults in the Valley didn't believe in the stone of Cold Fire. They even had Cera's father repeat that after "Beyond the Mysterious beyond" to make sure that it was perfectly clear that the rainbow faces didn't convince anyone. If that is still not enough to convince you that the adults in the Valley didn't care at all about the stone the fact that they didn't hurry to prevent the flyers from reaching it. The alleged powers of the stone didn't play much of a role in the adults discussion.
I just find it odd that they don't... considering what Pterano did, it should be their goal to chase him out of the valley for even daring to show his face around them even if there wasn't any mysterious stone to worry about...

It would have been odd enough if those powers had played a role, because it has never ever actually been specified what exactly that stone was supposed to do. There is absolutely no reason for Pterano to believe that the stone would allow for him to dominate or controll anyone at all (which I consider another major plothole of LBT 7).
I guess it was intentionally not mentioned to keep it a mystery. Either way, it turned out that it was just a stupid, old rock as Cera says.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Lone Dragon,May 29 2016 on  11:06 PM
Looking back at the 7th movie, I noticed that during the kidnapping and when Petrie flies after his Uncle I noticed that his mother who was aware of what was going on had not come with him when she was perfectly capable and in my opinion completely obliged o help with the attempted rescue but she didn't. Her involvement might have prevented the kidnapping from even happening but she just stayed put or who knows why. I guess it's just a little detail that the film makers didn't notice. Anyway what are your thoughts?
From practical point of view is that the makers and artists had limited time (as any production does), and so they just didn't include Petrie's Mother in the adventure.

From a imaginative and storytelling view, you are right. Why Petrie's mother didn't join in the rescue is baffling. But I imagine that it has to do with atypical story arch, the adults rarely venture into Mysterious Beyond and only join in over special circumstances (LBTV and LBTXIV), while the Gang of Five always ventures off into the perilous beyond for a friend, family member, and sometimes to prove a point.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Boom. The plot of Movie 7 was just broken with this question.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I really wish debates like the one I had with Malte would occur more often :smile

There are many ways one could alter the story of LBT 7 by just changing little details. This is just one of those. You could go super dark and have Rinkus and Sierra kill Petrie's mother on her pursuit for instance :P

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Quote from: The Lone Dragon on May 29 2016, 11:06:02 PM
Ha. Could've been ones of those errors that were somehow missed until late into production and just thought "oh well, too late now, let's release it anyway"
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)