The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 173798

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Alright I'm working on getting a DVD recorder so I can get a proper copy of the movie.. might take some time.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 11 2008 on  07:04 PM
In two land before time books of the original movie a scene is included which is often referred to as the oasis scene. This is the scene as described in the land before time book "The land before time -The illustrated story":
A long time passed and the brave little group was getting more tired and hungry with each plodding step. At least they left the mountains behind. Now they were in a hot, sandy desert.
"I tired," moaned Petrie. "Way to Great Valley too great way."
"We're almost there," cried Littlefoot. "Don't give up now."
Suddenly Spike became alert and sniffed the air.
"He must smell food," said Ducky. "It's the only thing that would wake him up."
Spike snorted and galloped over a small hill. The others followed, staring in wonder at what they saw. There was a small spring of water surrounded by a group of thin gray-noses (Another word for Ducky's sort). Near the spring but standing apart was a cluster of trees full of delicious-looking green-food, surrounded by a group of fat crown-heads. Littlefoot and the others raced down the hill, yelling and cheering. But they got closer, they saw the hard looks on everybody's face, and the cheers died in their throats.
A stern-looking gray-nose came up to them and said, "What do you want, little ones?"
"Food!", Littlefoot cried.
"And water, yep, yep," Ducky added.
A fat crown-head waddled up and said, "No food!"
"You may drink," said the grey-nose to Ducky. "You are a big-mouth like us. But," he continued pointing at the rest of the group, "no water for them."
"But they need drinks, too!" Ducky protested. They're my friends."
"These are your friends?" said the fat crown-head. "A threehorn? A longneck, a spike-tail and" - he pointed to Petrie - "and whatever that is."
"Yes, run away quickly," said the grey-nose to Ducky, "before spikes and horns grow on you."
Cera couldn't believe what she was hearing. She had never realized before how foolish it was to dislike someone just because he looked different. All she knew now was that they all needed food and water. She reared up her head and said firmly, "We're hungry! All of us!"
The thin grey-nose stared at her. "And so are we," he finally said.
"Then why don't you share the water with the crown-heads?" said Littlefoot. "And they could share the food with you. Then you wouldn't be hungry and they wouldn't be thirsty."
"No, no, no," said the crown-head and the grey-nose at the same time.
"Well, if you don't change your minds, all of you will die," said Cera.
"Why don't you like each other anyway?" Ducky asked.
"The crown-heads are from the other side of the swamp," said the gray-nose.
"I don't see anything wrong with that," said Littlefoot.
"This is silly. I'm hungry," cried Cera. "Let's go somewhere else to look for food together." And with that the small group marched away. The grey-nose shook his head. "I'll never understand those young ones," he said. The crown-head nodded and went back to guard the food.
A shorter version of the same scene is in the book "Friends in need":
They finally came through the ash storm into a bleak desert. They were all terribly tired, hungy, and thirsty.
Spike suddenly sniffed the air.
"What is it, Spike? Food?" Cera cried.
"Maybe it's the Great Valley!" yelled Ducky.
Spike just snorted and ran over a nearby hill. Following him close behind, the others reached the far side of the hill and looked down on a green oasis with trees and water. But something was wrong. A bunch of thin gray-noses were guarding the water, and a bunch of fat crown-heads were guardng the trees.
"Can we eat and drink?" asked Cera.
"Only our own kind can eat," said a crown head.
"Yes," said a gray-nose. "And only our kind can drink."
"Why don't you share the food and water with each other?" asked Littlefoot.
"No, no, we can't do that," said the gray-nose and the crown head together. "Gray-noses and crown-heads are different from each other."
Cera didn't believe her ears. "Well, then, you will all die," she said. "Let's leave and find our own food and water!"
After searching and searching, all they found was a deep rocky crater. Cera's words seemed empty. Cera insisted on following her own path to the Great Valley. "No!" cried Littlefoot. "We have to stick together or we'll all fail - just like those crown-heads and gray-noses back there."
From the illustration gray noses seem to be Ducky's kind and Crownheads would be Pachycephalosaurus.

I just read these, and I can say this scene also is on the tape. I remember most of these lines exactly. No wonder why the anniversary DVD felt much shorter than I remembered! can't wait to get that recorder

• Spike
    • View Profile
so far i think this is the bigest "BREAKING NEWS" that we have had on this forum.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
^ I'll say! :wow You LBT fans in Finland are so lucky!

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Absolutely :yes
Pikkutassu, if you have these scenes on your version of the movies you are in possession of material that has gained an almost legendary status among the LBT fan community over the years. Even a low quality webcam made clip of these scenes (the one after Spike's birth and the oasis scene) would be of huge interest to everyone here. I wonder if there are further differences between the movie version you have and the version as it was sold in the rest of the world.
Pikkutassu, these are really BIG news for us and everyone here would be very much obliged if you could record these scenes with your webcam and make them available to us.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Dec 7 2009 on  07:44 AM
Absolutely :yes
Pikkutassu, if you have these scenes on your version of the movies you are in possession of material that has gained an almost legendary status among the LBT fan community over the years. Even a low quality webcam made clip of these scenes (the one after Spike's birth and the oasis scene) would be of huge interest to everyone here. I wonder if there are further differences between the movie version you have and the version as it was sold in the rest of the world.
Pikkutassu, these are really BIG news for us and everyone here would be very much obliged if you could record these scenes with your webcam and make them available to us.
Our old VCR turned out to be broken so I can't provide any footage yet. But as soon as I get that DVD/VHS recorder I'll be able to digitalize the whole movie in the best possible quality. It seems likely that there might be some other outcut scenes apart from these two.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yea.. anything would be awesome. Hopefully you can get it to work!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good luck with that.  I'm sure you can get it to work.  Plus once you get a digital version you can watch it whenever you want without worrying about tape breaking.  And easily make yourself a second copy in case the first disc ever goes bad.

dragoonanime

• Ruby
    • View Profile
It seems odd that they would put these scenes in some regions and not the other ones.  It will be really cool to see these deleted scenes.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: dragoonanime,Dec 9 2009 on  02:07 AM
It seems odd that they would put these scenes in some regions and not the other ones. It will be really cool to see these deleted scenes.
The scenes are not in any of the official VHS/DVD releases in here either. This is from the TV airing sometime during the 90s. Lucky that my parents decided to record it back then.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
Quote from: dragoonanime,Dec 9 2009 on  02:07 AM
It seems odd that they would put these scenes in some regions and not the other ones.  It will be really cool to see these deleted scenes.
True after all they did not have any violence.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Dec 9 2009 on  03:43 AM
Are these scenes dubbed in Finnish?
Yes they are. If you want I can add subtitles.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
This is really awesome. I'm looking very much forward to see these scenes :yes
Indeed I think I once saw another case where the TV version of a movie differed from the cinematic release (though I must confess I am not even certain if it was an LBT movie or another one). It is quite likely though that a scene that has been translated for the Finish version probably had a complete English original that may have been translated to other languages as well. There are cases of scenes that existed in the original language version but were never translated but I never heard about the translations coming up with additional content other than what may be added to the meaning by varying what is being said in the scenes existing in both versions.
We may want to focus not on our DvDs or videos only but keep a close look at the TV airings of the land before time. The scenes are likely to have existed in the English version as well though they may not be aired anymore (but here is to hope).
Seeing those scene would really be one of the greatest sensations ever in the LBT forums Pikkutassu :yes

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Okay I'm starting to have my doubts that it might just be the full uncut version... or would that be possible? I am remembering more scenes which actually include T-rex. One scene which I'm 99,99% sure is after they wake up to the roar and Cera peeks over, the sharptooth is shown sniffing the air and moving closer.

Another one, which I'm not that certain about, is that after they get away from that small hole, the sharptooth breaks out from the rock and they run away. One thing that supports I remember correctly is that there's the same rough cut (picture halts before fading out completely) as just before the berry scene with Ducky.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-