The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Species Names

Almaron · 38 · 8555

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
This may sound odd, but what are the names used to describe animals such as Styracosaurus? I've seen "Onehorn" used on the wiki, but I question its authenticity. Has there been an official name for them? And for others, like Pachycephalosaurus (I've seen about three or four different names used)?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I don’t think Styracosaurus has ever been given a name in canon LBT. The most common name I’ve seen applied to it in fanfiction is “spikefrill”, which, while fitting, may be a bit more “scientific” a term than you would expect the LBT dinosaurs to use. Malte uses the name “crownhorn” in his story “Old Threehorns”. (I consider this to be my favorite LBT-style name for Styracosaurus.)

As a side note, I personally think that “onehorn” would be a more appropriate name for Centrosaurus (A.K.A. “Monoclonius”), one of which appeared extremely briefly in Mr. Thicknose’s flashback in LBT VIII.

As for Pachycephalosaurus, I too have heard several different names used. In the credits of LBT XI, a Pachycephalosaurus was listed as “bonehead”, while in the TV episode “The Cave of Many Voices”, Ducky addresses two pachycephalosaurs as “domeheads”. However, these appeared to be of a different species than the variety of pachycephalosaur usually seen in LBT (probably Stegoceras or Prenocephale), as they had no nose horns, andóbizarrelyóhad only two fingers and two toes on their hands and feet.

In fanfics, I remember at least one instance of Pachycephalosaurus being referred to as “thickheads” (probably the name I like the best), and in Littlefoot1616's first “Battle of the Sacred Essences” story, he used the term “skull-basher”.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Many of the names you see beyond the common ones of Longneck, Threehorn, Flyer, Swimmer, Spiketail and Sharptooth that are in fanfiction are most likely made up.

Even though Land Before Time has given a name to a number of species, there are those that have yet to get one.

In all honesty, out of all the names Ruby's species, Oviraptor, could have gotten, many of us did not expect Fastrunner.  I know they're fast and all, but come on!  Kind of shows just how uncreative the TV Series writers were. (Not to mention they renamed raptors Fastbiters.)

As for me, I had named Rooter's species Spikeback.  Many had found that one quite creative.

I'm not sure what I'm going to name others when I run into them.  After all, each of the species of The Bullies in particular have yet to get one.

In Land Before Time's current condition, all we can do is make up names for what's left. -_-

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Maybe we should make a list? One that has the most popular opinion on what the names would be (Such as Spikethumb for Iguanadon?)? I actually thought about whether "Flathead" referred to Littlefoot's species of longneck (Shorty, being a Brachiosaurus, has that ridge on his head). I also wonder if there are "profanities" of sorts. In LBT 7, Cera refers to the flyers as "Beakheads". Could be an insult.

EDIT: Come to think of it, do they refer to themselves as dinosaurs? Or do they have a name for themselves? I suppose Landwalker or Leaf-Eater is enough.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Flathead is a canon racial slur referring to Longnecks. And I assume that they do have swear words.

In fact, an LBT "dictionary" might be interesting. Even if it was only useful for fan fiction. Because everyone here chooses different names for various dinosaurs.

And yes, they do refer to themselves as dinosaurs.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've actually made my own "Land Before Time glossary" of terms, place names, and dinosaur species in the series. I could post that if you like.

Quote from: Almaron,Sep 27 2009 on  10:45 PM
Come to think of it, do they refer to themselves as dinosaurs? Or do they have a name for themselves? I suppose Landwalker or Leaf-Eater is enough.
Until the fourth movie, the only usage of the word "dinosaur" in LBT was by the narrator. Then, in the scene where Grandpa Longneck falls ill, the word is used three times in the same conversation. :blink: There are at least two more cases in LBT VI: besides the obvious "The Lone Dinosaur", Ducky speculates that "the whole dinosaur world" will have bad luck as a result of the gang's accidental defacing of Saurus Rock.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds neat.  Maybe everyone here could build on what you have started with your glossary of terms.   :yes

Some lbt names for species can be hard to come up with indeed, some not to difficult.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
The idea of a LBT dictionary or glossary would certainly be helpful not only for us fanfiction writers, but in general. I personally would like to see what you've got so far Pangaea it sounds interesting, and it would certainly give us a place to start.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yes please, do post that. I imagine it would be very helpful for writers on the board! I also started on making a sort of encyclopedic list of words and names, but maybe I'll just add my list to yours. I'll post it later.

EDIT: One thing I'm doing with the encyclopedia is grouping everything into different areas, and including a list of possible names. For instance, under Pachycephalosaurus, I've put all of the names you said. We could put the most popular names first, and the others behind it. That way, the person could make their own judgement as to what name to use (Or even to use multiple names! Not all of the herds have their species as their last names; Mrs Tubehead, Mrs Maia, etc).

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Canon Dinosaur Names
Bellydragger – crocodile (esp. Deinosuchus, Sarcosuchus)
Bigmouth – Saurolophus (see also: Swimmer)
Clubtail – Ankylosaurus
Domehead – Pachycephalosaurus and/or other pachycephalosaurs (also: Bonehead)
Flyer – Pterosaur (esp. Pteranodon, Rhamphorhynchus)
Egg Stealer – Struthiomimus
Fast Biter – Velociraptor
Fast Runner – Oviraptor
Glider – Microraptor
Hollowhorn – Parasaurolophus (also: Tubehead :confused)
Longneck – Sauropod (esp. Apatosaurus, Brachiosaurus)
Rainbow Face – Gallimimus or Troodon :confused
Sharpbeak – Ichthyornis
Sharptooth – any carnivorous dinosaur (esp. Tyrannosaurus, Allosaurus)
Spiketail – Stegosaurus
Swimming Sharptooth or Sharptooth Swimmer – any aquatic carnivore (esp. shark, Liopleurodon)
Swimmer – (1) Saurolophus (see also: Bigmouth) (2) any aquatic creature
Thicknose – Pachyrhinosaurus
Threehorn – Triceratops
Tinysaurus – Mussaurus
Yellow Belly – Beipiaosaurus

Fanbase Dinosaur Names
Allosaurus – Ridge-Eye Sharptooth, Scrapebiter
Archelon – Shellback Swimmer, Shelled Swimmer
Centrosaurus – Onehorn
Corythosaurus – Crested Swimmer, Cresthead Swimmer, Whistler, Whistling Swimmer
Deinonychus – Fastclaw, Sickleclaw
Dimetrodon – Fanback
Edmontosaurus – Widebeak Swimmer
Hypsilophodon – Runner, Sprinter
Iguanodon – Spikethumb, Thornthumb
Kentrosaurus – Spikeback
Lambeosaurus – Twocrest Swimmer
Microraptor – Fourwing
Muttaburrasaurus – Bignose
Nodosaurus – Pebbleback, Shieldback
Ouranosaurus – Crestback, Finback, Sailback
Pachycephalosaurus – Skull-Basher, Thickhead
Scolosaurus – Spikeback, Digger
Spinosaurus – Sailback Sharptooth, Spineback
Styracosaurus – Crownhorn, Spikefrill
Tyrannosaurus – Crunchbiter Sharptooth

Possible Racial Slurs
Beakhead – Flyer
Bigface – Bigmouth/Swimmer
Flathead – Longneck
Ground Scraper – Bellydragger

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If anyone would like me to add my glossaries of non-dinosaurs, and natural objects and phenomena, I can do that as well. :yes

Also, if anyone thinks I should, I could start a new thread to move this list to, so that it is easily accessible to anyone who wants to read it. (I wonder if we could even get it pinned...)

Some notes:
ï Bellydraggers and swimming sharpteeth make the list of dinosaurs by virtue of being large animals with prominent roles in the series. The same goes for Archelon (Archie's species).
ï Guido referred to himself as a “glider” in “The Hermit of Blackrock”. This may have been intended as a descriptive term, but I have adopted it as a species name. Because of that, I'm not quite sure whether it should be considered a canon name or a fanbase name.
ï While the rainbow faces in LBT VII look like Gallimimus, I still think it is possible that they were intended to be Troodon. Their design could have been changed to make them seem less menacing (real Troodon had sharp teeth and small sickle claws on their feet), and Troodon is known for its reputation as supposedly the most intelligent dinosaur, and the most likely progenitor of a hypothetical saurian civilization in the event that the Cretaceous extinction never occurred.
ï In one of my earlier posts on this forum, I deduced Rooter to have been based on the now-defunct ankylosaur genus “Scolosaurus”. No one challenged my conclusion, nor agreed with it (indeed, no one responded to my post at all :p), so unless and until anyone wishes to come forth with feedback, that is what I will refer to him as.
ï Ridge-Eye Sharptooth, Onehorn, Whistler, Fourwing, Finback, Sailback, Digger, Sailback Sharptooth, and Crunchbiter Sharptooth are my personal submissions for fanmade dinosaur names. Most of the others are names I remember from various fanfictions I have read. (I can attempt to cite my sources if anyone believes it is necessary.)
ï “Ground scraper” was used by Mr. Threehorn in “The Amazing Threehorn Girl”. Perhaps it was intended more as an insult than a racial slur, but I figured the bellydraggers would consider it one. :p
ï The :confused icon indicates that the entry is tentative, and parts of it may be changed or deleted pending discussion.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Awesome! I'll finish off my list and post it with yours.

EDIT: In fact, let me finish my encyclopedia format, and then let's merge lists and make a new page. If that's fine with you.

I have to disagree about the Rainbow Faces being Troodon for one reason; They were Carnivores. I think Gallimimus is a better candidate because they
1: Are known well by non-dino enthusiasts (They're in Jurassic Park)
2: Lived in the cretaceous period (Not Coelphysis, as someone suggested on another page)
3: Were either omnivores or herbivores. (We have seen several omnivorous creatures in the valley, such as the flyers and Ruby. It makes you wonder if omnivorous creatures are treated any differently due to their eating requirements, or if their meals are ignored if they are fish, or insects)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Pangaea, with your permission, I would like to add your list to my website.  I will give you full credit for the names you have listed and, if there is another place you, yourself have put them, I will list that as well.

From there, I plan to add in the other things, such as treestar, Bright Circle, Big Water and a number of others.

Reason I want to put it up is because it's SO awesome and it would be great to see all my guests that come to my site to get some background information on the names that have been given.

Please give me your decision soon.  Thank you!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The rainbowfaces aren't troodons far as I'm concerned. For one thing, they have a beak, which troodons didn't have, and they lack the sickle claw. I consider them to be gallimimuses.

The whole "they are carnivores" argument probably wouldn't hold up, at least to recent discoveries, because, based on what I read recently, due to the fact that troodon teeth actually look more like herbivore teeth than carnivore teeth, it is possible the troodons were omnivorous as well, or even herbivores. So even if the rainbowfaces were troodons, they probably wouldn't be chased away since they could likely eat some plants. And when it comes to meat, they probably ate more insects than other dinosaurs. This is something Chomper does in the series.

Edit: I looked up the teeth of a troodon and compared it to the tooth of a stegosaurus. It seems to suggest an omnivorous diet.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm.../Stegotooth.svg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...on_formosus.jpg

While still shaped like a meat-eating tooth, the groove-like structures are something you would usually find in a plant-eating dinosaur like stegosaurus, and these grooves aren't present in dinosaurs we know to be meat-eating (like tyrannosaurus or velociraptor). So my guess is they were omnivorous, not strict carnivores. So they probably could be tolerated in the GV if they were troodons, since their diet probably wouldn't be much different than if they were gallimimuses.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I still think Rainbowfaces are Gallimimus. Their face really is too narrow for them to be a Troodon.

Of course, since a Rainbowfaces only appear in LBT 7 and it is hinted that they are aliens. Is the possibility that the dinosaur they chose to take the form of never existed considered?

There is another term I use, sickleclaw. The term applies to pretty much any large Dromaeosaur (Utahraptor, Achillobator, Deinonychus).

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I used the term sickleclaw as well. I prefer that term over fastbiter.

As for rainbowfaces only appearing in LBT7, I'm not so sure if this is true or not. I thought for sure they appeared in one or two other movies.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Plus of what I've seen of reconstructions Troodons had large eyes.  

There is a rainbowface with a speaking & singing role in the song Creepy Crawlies, in the 11th LBT movie and can be seen several times as ab ackground char during the song.   Plus he sings with Mr. Clubtail before he says his line, "We don't know what they look like." & sings with him a bit after his line also I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Vb9NP1JHg

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
One thing I always thought was strange about the rainbow faces (it's not much of an argument, but I'm going to share it anyway :p) is that if they are supposed to be Gallimimus, then it is odd that they are portrayed so differently from the egg stealers, despite being extremely closely related.

I still feel that it is plausible that the rainbow faces were Troodon deliberately designed with "beakier" faces and no sickle claws to make them look less predaciously intimidating. Also, while I agree that in their later appearances*, rainbow faces look more Gallimimus-like, the original two to were somewhat more troodontid in body shape, with relatively shorter necks and longer heads. (Maybe they were originally intended to be Troodon, but the filmmakers forgot and later drew them as Gallimimus.) And while LBT has never been that accurate when it comes to dinosaur dentition (putting teeth on a pterosaur whose name literally translates to "wing without tooth" :p), the rainbow faces do appear to have some rather sharp teeth hidden away in their jaws, most visibly when the female enunciates "THIS should be FASCINATING" during the duo's confrontation with Mr. Threehorn. (Again, not a very strong argument, admittedly.)

Actually, it's quite ironic that I'm arguing that the rainbow faces are Troodon, :rolleyes as one of my own ideas for an LBT story involves the gang meeting a Troodon, which I refer to as a "nightwalker", based on an (unseen, only mentioned) creature described by one of the mammals in "Stranger from the Mysterious Above" as having "big, scary eyes". (As Troodon had large eyes and has been widely speculated to have been nocturnal, it seemed a fitting dinosaur to apply the moniker to.)

*Besides LBT XI, rainbow faces appeared in the introductory sequences of IX and X.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Ozzy and Strut though were Struthiomimuses (in the song Eggs we have one of the extremely rare cases of a scientific dinosaur name being used). Gallimimus and Struthiomimus did look fairly similar of course.
Personally I always took the rainbowfaces to be Gallimimuses by appearance (beyond that I am trying to sort of ignore them for dislike of E.T.s invading LBT).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think that they already did have a troodon appear in LBT. I could be wrong, but I thought that Hidden Runner was supposed to be a troodon, though still lacking the tiny sickle claw. Hidden Runner's overall design reminds me more of a troodon, though, than the Rainbowfaces.