The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Blu-Ray Release Date: Oct. 13

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Nov 4 2015 on  01:44 PM
blu-ray edition...
they could make more additional content if they wanted
:(
Or at least give us a noteworthy extra, like a trailer for LBT 14 or something along those lines. :(

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Been a while since this was released, but I'll be honest, this was far better than any DVD I've seen of the film.  Yes, there's grain, but at least they didn't try to erase it and erase some of the detail of the film with it.  :yes:  Look at the rocks or the paintings of the earth....a lot of that detail would be gone if they tried to digitally scrub this movie clean of film grain.  I'm glad they didn't.

Extras...well, this wasn't exactly Disney, and home video basically was just around...to watch the movie, not watch extras, so I'm not surprised there's no bonus content.  You can find much more online from printed media of the time where you would actually read and hear about this stuff.

I've shared my opinion on this multiple times on that blu-ray.com forum thread.  I post as CharlieBarkin over there.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Yuk.  Looks like 1988 alright.  And it looks worse than my MPEG DVD rip I made of the original 7 years ago.  I was hoping for better quality.  It looks like they just stretched it and increased the contrast a bit.  Here's to hoping if they do the later sequels, they'll be of better quality.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
What?  Its not stretched at all.  I wouldn't have minded an OAR release, but they didn't hit the "stretch" button on the tv remote by any means to make it a widescreen release.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I've seen it a few weeks ago and it has much greater quality than my DVD version. There were no signs of stretching the animation's ratio was solid.

Do any of you guys know when there's going to be an european release of the bluray?
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I don't know.  I'd rather have it kind of blurry (DVD version) than grainy (Blu-Ray version).  The contrast and color is up way too high in the Blu-Ray version and the grain is a killer.  For God's sake they need to remake this movie from scratch.  The only way to have it look normal is to watch it on an old 1990's TV using the original VHS.  I like the original for nostalgia's sake, but they really need to remake it.  Keep the same voices, but redraw everything.  The Blu-Ray remake of the 1973 version of Disney's Robin Hood looks better than this:

http://i.imgur.com/9czgcSk.jpg

There's just no excuse for releasing such a poor quality product.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jan 25 2016 on  03:35 PM
I don't know.  I'd rather have it kind of blurry (DVD version) than grainy (Blu-Ray version).  The contrast and color is up way too high in the Blu-Ray version and the grain is a killer.  For God's sake they need to remake this movie from scratch.  The only way to have it look normal is to watch it on an old 1990's TV using the original VHS.  I like the original for nostalgia's sake, but they really need to remake it.  Keep the same voices, but redraw everything.  The Blu-Ray remake of the 1973 version of Disney's Robin Hood looks better than this:

http://i.imgur.com/9czgcSk.jpg

There's just no excuse for releasing such a poor quality product.
Either way, its still a far better transfer than the underwhelming 2003 "Anniversary Edition". Which was the reason I stayed with the VHS format for these films for quite a while, personally.

Parker

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Up close, that Robin Hood screenshot looks a tad problematic to me. Colors look too smeared and soft, and the movie's filmic qualities have been scrubbed away. It's not the worst of Disney's "restorations" -- that award goes to Sword in the Stone -- but I can't support such revisionist  tampering.

For older films, the grain is part of the picture. It gives them a natural, textured look, compared to the shiny animation we get today. The problems with the Land Before Time Blu-ray have nothing to do with its healthy grain field. More so, there's too much inconsistency between different frames. Some look bold, but others are noticeably blurrier. At it's best, the Blu-ray looks stunning and remarkably authentic. I just wish it looked that way all the time.

Reanimate The Land Before Time? For me, that amounts to cinematic blasphemy. The film derives much of its charm and mood from the earthy colors of its cel animation. Any remake would undoubtedly fall short and insult Don Bluth's legacy as an animator and artist.