The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Critiquing Any Work

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Hey guys, this is something I was talking about with Malte in MSN recently. I think there are some pros and cons of critique that might need to be taken into consideration.

When it comes to critique, it supposedly helps people correct their work right? Well, yes and no. A critique is something that is written to express an opinion of a reviewer on a certain work. It can either be written in a way to bring people up or tear them down.

There are some guidelines on which to go over when writing a critique, so I will provide a link that might be helpful:

http://www.writingforward.com/polished-wri...lpful-critiques

And then if you are like me where you trouble taking it here is a link that -might- you cope: http://www.writingforward.com/polished-wri...n-you-handle-it

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Thing is that people take up criticism in different manners. Some of us are literally craving for criticism, including negative criticism and especially criticism that gives hint and suggestions on how to improve further work.
Politeness, fairness, objectivity, and being specific (what exactly is praised and what exactly is being criticized and what does the critic think the criticized parts should be like instead) are absolute musts when it comes to reviews and criticism to keep it apart from either praise without further information on the one or bashing on the other end of the extremes.
However, not all people can take criticism, even if it is well intended, positively. Artists and writers invest a lot of effort and time and passion into their work. For some their work is nothing that can be separated from themselves and their own personality.
A critic of course must be able to give his or her free and honest opinion even where it does not agree with the view or opinion of an artist. However, an artist who knows that he or she will feel hurt no matter what about negative criticism of the work he or she put so much into should also be given the chance to avoid such criticism.
If artists feel they are not helped by criticism I think that these artists should, without any need of feeling embarassed about it, have the option to include a line in the post of their image / fanfiction stating that they do not wish for negative feedback of their work. Such artists may need to take into account that this might result in receiving fewer feedback (including mixed one) altogether, but they should also really be given this option to have their feelings spared from unintended violation. Because in so large a forum as the GOF chances are that critics may not always remember who is okay with any kind of criticism and who would prefer to be spared negative feedback I think that the respective line for the later should be included in every picture- or story-post to which it applies and critics should respect the stand of the artists in this case.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
For those of you that know already, I am not friends with critique, or rather I have a hard time taking it well. Granted I -believe-I matured from this a little bit, it's just when I see people critique my work in just a harsh manner or what I believe to be harsh, I can't help but take it personally.

I was a late talker, having a hard time with expressing myself, so writing was my way of helping others understand what I was saying. So even now, when people say they don't understand what I am saying or maybe just offer a hint of advice on writing, I just get so out of whack it's not even funny. :crazy

Politeness, fairness, objectivity, and being specific (what exactly is praised and what exactly is being criticized and what does the critic think the criticized parts should be like instead) are absolute musts when it comes to reviews and criticism to keep it apart from either praise without further information on the one or bashing on the other end of the extremes.

Another thing I want to add, a lot of what is considered polite and fair is very subjective. What is considered good critique for one is terrible for another. This I find very confusing in terms of critiquing. I understand there are different people in the world, it's obvious, but I just want to point out why criticism can be a hard thing to take a hold of or just overall attempt to do.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'll admit, when I was younger (6 to 17) I was never good at dealing with negative comments or criticism. But now that I've matured I "crave for critique". I don't even care if its a negative comment or some troll started hatin' on my art for no reason. I put a lot of work into my art and I'm willing to show it to anybody so I'm prepared for the worst. I get positive feedback and even some suggestions. But here is one thing; Its not what you say its how you say it. If any negative critique is something like " Your art stinks!" then I'll just ignore you. instead of your "art stinks" he could say; "Sorry dude, but can you make that character a little more original? He looks like a pokemon." And I'll be fine with that comment. If I made some mistakes I'll fix it. That is how I take a "critique." ;)

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As a reviewer, I don't pay attention to what the writer wants to hear. I pay attention to the story. Too be real honest, I pay MORE attention to the negatives then I do the positives. I don't treat writers like babies, I treat them like writers. If I read something of yours that I perceive as a waste of time, I'll let you know why I thought so.

Scrattelover should know my way of criticizing better than anyone else. How a person words their critique shouldn't matter to the creator, it's what they're trying to say. A good critique isn't biased, but still informative.