The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Because the GOF is very international...

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
How many languages do you guys know?

As for me...

Primary Language: English (duh)
Secondary Language: Latin American Spanish

And I WANT to learn Russian, French, German, and Mandarin Chinese, just because I am fasincated with languages and how they sound. ^^

Something that sounds terrible in English can sound amazing in another language imo. :lol

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I only know English, but I would love to learn Spanish myself.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I know English, some spanish, a bit of latin, and a few phrases of French. A lot of romance languages...  :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I only know English.  Bottom line!  Everything else just sounds like gibberish to me.  I hardly know any words to any other language out there.  In truth, I never learned another language.  Only English.  I just can't grasp any other language out there.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i know English, and took German for several years, although it has been awhile since I've spoken it consistently..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I speak... English and Dutch pretty well, I'd say :p

I can sometimes babble something in German and French (but I have a limited word knowledge, so I run out of words quickly)

But I can understand all 4 of them.

And I can read some latin :)

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jan 31 2010 on  07:46 PM
I only know English.  Bottom line!  Everything else just sounds like gibberish to me.  I hardly know any words to any other language out there.  In truth, I never learned another language.  Only English.  I just can't grasp any other language out there.
You know, that's like me half the time.  Although, I know very little French, like Je Mapelle Drake (or however it's spelt in French :p)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's spelled like

Je m'appelle Drake.

^^

That's better than most forum members though, haha :P:

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
lol, ah, thanks anyway ^^

I know how to pronounce it, but can't spell it half the time :p

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Indonesia is my native language, but I prefer speaking in English online. XD

I also know a bit of Mandarin, though I still suck at it. I hate writing Kanji letters. :p

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I know English, Japanese, and a bit of Spanish.  Though I'm not 100% fluent in Japanese, I can understand it enough to watch movies in Japanese.  Though reading it....forget it!  I have a hard time speaking Japanese quickly too.  The way my pallet is shaped makes speaking Japanese rather difficult for me.  I took Spanish for a while.  I knew enough to understand the gist of most everyday conversations.  Sadly, I've lost it over the years. :( I barely know it at all anymore.

To be perfectly honest, I hate the English language.  I have like 4 songs I listen to that aren't in Japanese.  My friends think it's so weird that my laptop is full of Japanese songs and movies.  I don't think they'll ever fully understand.  The weird thing is, if the songs were sung in English, I wouldn't like them.  I guess it's because their meaning is so clear that you could sum the entire song up in a few sentences in English.  But having them drawn out in Japanese makes them so beautiful and powerful.  That's why my friends don't understand.  When I translate the songs for them, they look at me like I'm some kind of wacko. :crazy

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
To be perfectly honest, I hate the English language.
Really? I LOVE the English language! :lol:  It's such an easy language, and the sentences are shorter than in German. If you write a whole text with the same meaning, the German one would have more words than the English text. ;)

Mother tongue: German
2nd language: English
3rd language: Spanish

I have to learn Spanish at school, it's required at the "Fachgymnasium Wirtschaft" (sorry, I don't know the English explanation for that type of school). I'm not very good at it, but the grammar is easy. The problems are the vocabularies. I really have to learn many words. In future I'll use a cue cards system to learn the words constantly.

But I don't like the German language that much. I don't like German movies and songs, I only have English songs on my MP3-Player. :lol

I hope that my English will get better and better, and I hope one day I can write and talk in English fluently.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
English.
I learnt french and some spanish in school...however it's been a while since I spoke french with some consistancy....but I can read it better than I can speak it.

I am learning german.  One of the problems that I have is that like my french I do not really have the confidence to speak it.  I am afraid of making mistakes..and whilst when learning a language you can make some mistakes at the beginning...it's just something that I need to learn and understand.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
German is my native tongue.
By now I have mastered English in written form and I guess in spoken form too though I still have a distinct accent (I would pay serious money to hear myself talking through "native English ears" so I would really get an idea of what it would sound like to the native speaker when I'm talking).
I had Latin at school for many years and I'm glad I had because it is what you need to be permitted to several study fields. In praxis however I cannot talk Latin, never could and never really needed it either.
I had French at the university for a mere semester so my command of the language doesn't go far beyond the obligatory "Bonjour, je ne parl pas Francais" :oops

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
Obviously, English is my native language... :p

I learnt Indonesian for a while at my old primary school, and learnt French for my first two years at high school... regretfully I have forgotten much of what I learnt. :(

I do remember how to count from one to ten in Indonesian, however... satu, dua, tiga, empat, lima, enam, tujuh, delapan, sembilan, sepuluh.
Like that's going to help me in my future pursuits. :lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Haha right ! I can count to 3 in turkish and know like 3 other words, how's that? :D

Okay... fine :P:

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
I speak English,Malay,I(Chinese,mandarin,hokkien,cantonese,teochew) and german

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My primary language is English, I can speak a bit of German but not really enough to converse with someone. I know a phrase in Russian. I know a little Spanish. I also know three words in Japanese.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Prime: English

Secondaries: Latin and Chinese (Tiashanese and Cantonese)

I know exactly 2 words in German.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
1.) English
2.) French (took a long time ago), American Sign Language (again, a very long time ago)

My chances of remembering anything very useful from #2 is very unlikely at this point.  I could relearn it but its not a priority. ;)