The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Species Names

Almaron · 38 · 8468

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Here’s a list I started working on (I would have posted it sooner, but I got preoccupied with other things), and anyone is welcome to use it. I haven’t used any of the stuff you posted Pangaea, as I thought that would be obnoxious on my part. I’ve used old lists I got off Wikipedia and the LBT Wiki. I really just wanted to post this to show the format. I think it would be cool if we made it into a dictionary like this. It's incomplete, but I left it that way so others could fill in what was missed.

LAND BEFORE TIME TERMINOLOGY LIST:
*=Conjectural

Part 1: Species Names.
Herbivorous: Leaf-Eater
Carnivorous: Sharpteeth
Omnivorous:

Section 1A: Dinosaur Names
Ornithschian:
-Thyreophoran
Ankylosaurus=Clubtail
Nodosaurus=*Clubless Tail
Stegosaurus=Spiketail

-Ornithopod
Hypsilophodont=
Iguanadon=*Spikethumb
--Hadrosaur=*Swimmer/*Bigmouth
Maiasaura=
Muttaburrasaurus=
*Saurolophus=Bigmouth
--Lambeosaur=Hollowhorn
Corythosaurus=Hollowhorn
Lambeosaurus=Hollowhorn
Parasaurolophus=Hollowhorn

-Marginocephalia
Pachycephalosaurus=Domehead
-Ceratopsian
--Centrosaur
Centrosaur=*Onehorn
Styracosaurus=
--Chasmosaur
Chasmosaur=*Threehorn
Pachyrhinosaurus=Thicknose
Triceratops=Threehorn
Torosaurus=*Threehorn

Saurischian:
-Sauropod=Longneck
Apatosaurus=*Flathead
Brachiosaurus=
Diplodocus=
Supersaurus=

-Theropod=Sharpteeth
*Gallimimus=Rainbow Face
Oviraptor=Fast Runner
Struthiomimus=Egg Stealer
Troodon=
Tyrannosaurus=Sharptooth
*Utahraptor=Fast Biter

Section 1B: Non-Dinosaur Names.

Subsection A: Land Creatures=Landwalkers
Dimetrodon=

Subsection B: Sea Creatures=Swimmers
Archelon=
Deinosuchus=Big Mouthed Belly Dragger
Elasmosaurus=
Opthalmosaurus=

Subsection C: Air Creatures=Flyers
Ichthyornis=Sharpbeak

-Pterosaur=Flyer
Cearadactyl=
Pteranodon=
Quetzalcoatlus=
Ramphorynchus=

Part 2: Object Names.
Section 2A: Flora Names

Section 2B: Earth Objects
Lava=Burning Rocks/Flowing Fire
Volcano=Smoking Mountain/*Mountain That Burns

Section 2C: Water Objects

Section 2D: Sky Objects
Clouds=Sky Puffies
Comet/Meteorite=Flying Rock
Moon=Night Circle
Stars=
Sun=Bright Circle

Part 3: Descriptive Words.
Section 3A: Titles
Farwalker=Used to describe wandering dinosaurs, who don’t settle down in a single place.
Landwalker=Used (by swimmers) to describe all creatures on the land.
Story Speaker=
Swimmer=Used to describe both aquatic creatures and dinosaurs that spend time in/near water.

Section 3B: Profanities/Insults
*Beakhead=Possibly a slur towards Flyers, although could be towards any beaked creature.
Egg=Used to imply immaturity.
*Flathead=Possibly a slur towards Longnecks.
Hatchling=Used to imply immaturity.

Section 3C: Weather/Seasons
Sky Water=Rain
Sky Puffies=Clouds

Notes: Bonehead not listed for Pachycephalosaurus, as it may be the dinosaur’s name, as opposed to species (Like Mrs Tubehead, or Mrs Maia. Not all of them have the same last name.)

I found an old note listing Duckbeak as either profanity or a name. Can anyone remember what film it’s from?

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
There was fanfiction that used the term "sailcrawler". I assume it is a Dimetrodon. Same fan fiction used the term "sailback", I assume they mean a Spinosaurus. It was never described what type of dinosaur but "sailbacks" were described as large.

Also Karkovice's fan fiction introduces the term "sap-sucker" which is apparently an EXTREMELY insulting term for herbivores.

He also introduces a disease called "Bloody Tummy", which is apparently some kind of hemorragic virus.    

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Cool. One thing I think we should do with this is have a list of fan names for things, so people can read the popular names for things, and use them in their stories. I've already placed a few in that list above (Like Clubless Tail for Nodosaurus), and they're marked with an asterisk.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is a long list.  Guessing some species for some chars can not be easy I guess.  In part, perhaps, due to their not having a paleontologist on staff to keep their dinos looking accurate.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Wow. That's a good list, Almaron, and a pretty well organized one at that. :yes

If you don't mind me saying, though, I don't think we should categorize the names by order/family of dinosaur, chiefly because not everyone who will use the list will know about dinosaur classification. I also don't think it's necessary to have such specific categories for terms. It would be easier if users were presented with larger, generalized lists in which they could look up the terms alphabetically. Perhaps some subgroupings, such as "Longnecks" and "Flyers", would be useful, but only if we decide to narrow the list of dinosaurs down to specific species/genera.

I've thought about how to structure the glossary so that both fanbase and canon names can be included in the same list, and here's what I've come up with: the dinosaurs will be listed alphabetically by their scientific names, each followed by the canon name (if applicable) and fan-made name(s). Perhaps the canon and fanbase names could be different colors, to indicate which is which. (The major problem with this idea is that not everyone who uses the list may know what all the dinosaurs' scientific names are.) My question now is, should I post the restructured glossary here so that you can all look at it and give me your opinions, or just start the new, "official" glossary thread right now?

You know, I forgot to mention; I've ALSO made a list of all the species (dinosaur and otherwise) that appear in each and all of the LBT films. (It would seem that I've got a strange obsession with making lists for no particular purpose other than to amuse myself. :p At this point, however, I'm glad of it.) I can show that list to you as well if you like, though I must warn you that, due to the number of LBT installments, it's a very, VERY long list.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, to heck with waiting for responses... :p Here's the revised glossary; what do you think?

Dinosaurs*
Ankylosaurus – Clubtail
Archelon – Shellback Swimmer, Shelled Swimmer
Beipiaosaurus – Yellow Belly
Carnivore – Sharptooth
ï Allosaurus – Ridge-Eye, Scrapebiter
ï Deinonychus – Fastclaw, Sickleclaw
ï Liopleurodon – Sharptooth Swimmer, Swimming Sharptooth
ï Shark – Swimming Sharptooth
ï Spinosaurus – Sailback, Spineback
ï Tyrannosaurus – Crunchbiter, Twoclaw, Two Finger
ï Velociraptor – Fast Biter
Crocodilian – Bellydragger
ï Deinosuchus – Bigmouth Bellydragger
ï Sarcosuchus – Longnose Bellydragger, Longsnout Bellydragger
Centrosaurus – Onehorn
Corythosaurus – Crested Swimmer, Cresthead Swimmer, Whistler, Whistling Swimmer
Deinonychus – Fastclaw, Sickleclaw
Dimetrodon – Fanback, Sailcrawler
Edmontosaurus – Widebeak Swimmer
Gallimimus/Troodon – Rainbow Face
Hypsilophodon – Runner, Sprinter
Ichthyornis – Sharpbeak
Iguanodon – Spikethumb, Thornthumb
Kentrosaurus – Spikeback
Lambeosaurus – Twocrest Swimmer
Microraptor – Fourwing, Glider
Mussaurus – Tinysaurus
Muttaburrasaurus – Bignose
Nodosaurus – Pebbleback, Shieldback
Ouranosaurus – Crestback, Finback, Sailback
Oviraptor – Fast Runner
Pachyrhinosaurus – Bumphead, Thicknose
Parasaurolophus – Hollowhorn, Tubehead :confused
Pachycephalosaur – Bonehead, Domehead, Skull-Basher, Thickhead
ï Pachycephalosaurus – Bonehead, Domehead, Skull-Basher, Thickhead
ï Prenocephale/Stegoceras – Domehead
Pterosaur – Flyer
ï Cearadactylus – Sharptooth Flyer
ï Pteranodon – Crested Flyer, Tallcrest Flyer
ï Rhamphorhynchus – Longtail Flyer
Saurolophus – Bigmouth, Swimmer
Sauropod – Longneck
ï Apatosaurus – Flathead Longneck
ï Brachiosaurus – Great Neck, Skyreacher Longneck, Tallneck
ï Diplodocus – Longsnout Longneck, Whiptail Longneck
Scolosaurus – Digger, Spikeback
Stegosaurus – Spiketail
Struthiomimus – Egg Stealer
Styracosaurus – Crownhorn, Spikefrill
Triceratops – Threehorn

*red = canon, blue = fanbase

Natural Objects and Phenomena
Canyon – Big Ditch
Cloud – Sky Puffy
Cold Time – Winter
Crystal – Shiny Stone
Echo – Talk-Back
Geode – Sky Color Stone
Ice – Hard Water
Lava – Flowing Fire
Lava Bomb – Fire Rock
Lava Pit – Fire Pit
Meteorite – Flying Rock
Moon – Great Night Circle, Night Circle
Mudslide – Running Mud
Quicksand – Sinking Sand
Rain – Skywater
Rainbow – Sky Colors
Sea – Big Water
Snowflake – Frozen Sky Star
Snow – White Ground Sparkles
Stalactite or Stalagmite – Stone Tooth
Sun – Bright Circle, Great Circle
Tornado – Whirling Wind
Volcano – Booming Mountain, Burning Mountain, Smoking Mountain
Volcanic Crater – Gurgling Pit
Volcanic Mud – Bubbling Goo, Bubbly Goo

Fauna
Bee – Buzzing Buzzer, Buzzing Stinger, Stinging Buzzer, Yellow Buzzer
Clam – Snapping Shell
Crab – Sand Creeper
Frog – Hopper
Insect – Crawler, Creepy Crawler, Creepy Crawly, Ground Crawler
Locust – Swarming Leaf-Gobbler
Starfish – Star Swimmer

Flora
Flower Dust – pollen
Green Food – vegetation
Ground Prickly – burr
Pointy Seed – pinecone
Swamp Sticks – cattails or reeds :confused
Sweet Bubbles – grapes
Tree Fuzz – moss
Tree Star – any star-shaped leaf
Tree Sweet – fruit or tree blossom
Water Greens – aquatic vegetation

Descriptive Terms
Farwalker – any migratory land animal
Fourfooter – any quadrupedal animal
Landwalker – any land animal
Swimmer – any aquatic animal
Story Speaker – a traveling storyteller
Twofooter – any bipedal animal

Insults and Profanities
Beakhead – a possible slur towards Flyers (and/or other beaked creatures)
Bigface – a possible slur towards Bigmouths/Swimmers
Egg – implies immaturity
Flathead – a possible slur towards Longnecks
Hatchling – implies immaturity
Leaf-Licker – a possible slur towards Leafeaters
Ground Scraper – possibly a slur towards Bellydraggers
Sap-Sucker – insult to Leafeaters
Scaredy Egg – implies cowardice
Wingbrain – insult to Flyers

Miscellaneous
Birthday – Hatch Day, Star Day
Dream – Sleep Story
Fin or Flipper – Water Foot
Hair – Tickly Fuzzies
Snore – Sleep Rumble

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Brilliant! Magnifico! And other such words of congratulation!

EDIT: After reading through some of this, I wonder if I should start a debate on the differing names given to Ducky. For instance, in the first movie she calls herself a "Bigmouth", then in all other films she is a "Swimmer", except in 5, where an identical dinosaur (skeleton) is called a Duckbill.

I wonder if Duckbill covers the whole Hadrosaur genus. Since there was nothing left of the skeleton but bones, the GV residents may not have known which dinosaur it was exactly, so they could have used Duckbill to refer to whichever dinosaur it was.

Due to Swimmer being used more often than Bigmouth, it must be the general name for her species (Hadrosaurinae. In the same way that Longneck can refer to all sauropods).
Bigmouth may be the final identification of what dinosaur she is, making Ducky a Bigmouthed Swimmer (In the same way, if Flathead isn't a slur, then Littlefoot is a Flathead Longneck). It could have been a way of identification. If we assume all the Hadrosaurs nested together (Para, Cory, Lambeo, etc) and all used the name Swimmer/Duckbill, then it may have been a way to keep the youngsters from heading off with the wrong herd (eg."I'm a hollowhorn." "I'm a bigmouth". "Whoops, wrong herd." Except better written than that.), which could be why Ducky called herself that as opposed to a Swimmer when she met Littlefoot, she was used to calling herself that (And if all the different Hadrosaurs were that close, then maybe that's why Ducky's family were so adopting of Spike. Alternatively, they had already lost their racism on the trip to the valley (Although, judging by Ducky, they were never big on it in the first place), and seeing no other Spiketails in the valley, or simply deciding to care for him, adopted Spike!).

On the other hand, it could be that Bigmouth refers to the Hadrosaurinae group, which would also include Maiasaura and Muttaburrasaurus. However, neither of them spend much time near the water in the films. Hmm. Maybe both names are exchangeable. Or it could mean Swimmer only refers to Saurolophus. But then again, Swimmer also refers to sea creatures...ARGH! It does my head in! The LBT genetic family tree is overly confusing!!! :confused

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks. :smile

I was going to share some of my own thoughts about the terms "bigmouth", "swimmer", and "duckbill" earlier, but I put it off so that I could post the revised list. So here they are now:

"Duckbill", I have to say, is my least favorite canon LBT term, because it references an animal that appeared long after the hadrosaurs. Logically, the LBT dinosaurs wouldn't use it. (Somehow I don't feel the same way about terms such as "clubtail" and "sickleclaw". :confused) Also, I would argue that because it was only used in that one scene in that one movie, it could be regarded as a "blooper term"; much like Grandpa Longneck's reference to stars as "lesser lights" in LBT VI (why not just call the lights in the sky "stars", considering the dinosaurs already use the word "tree star" all the time?), and Cera's use of the word "rain" (despite LBT V's establishment of the term  "skywater"). Still, I suppose it would be selfish to exclude "duckbill" (and "lesser lights", for that matter :rolleyes) from the list because of my own opinions (unless, on the off-chance, everyone else agrees with me that it's a stupid name :p). I think your suggestion that "duckbill" should apply to LBT hadrosaurs in general (much like "longneck" applies to sauropods) makes sense, though frankly, I hate the word so much as an LBT term that I’m reluctant to give it such a lofty position. :p

While I thought that "bigmouth" sufficed as a descriptive term for Ducky's species (and is much more specific than "swimmer"), it also sounds a little like an insult; something one would use to refer to an obnoxiously vociferous or gossipy person. (While Ducky is admittedly rather talkative, she most certainly does not, in my opinion, deserve a name with such negative connotations. :p) My guess is that that was the reason her species was "renamed", with "swimmer" being the replacement of choice because of her repeatedly demonstrated partiality to water in the first film, as well as possibly the fact that "swimmer" was one of the species names mentioned by Littlefoot's mother during her "we never do anything together" speech (which, incidentally, included the species names of every other member of the gang).

Another note on "swimmers": while many fans (including myself) have tended to refer to all varieties of LBT hadrosaurs as "swimmers" (following the pattern of lumping all sauropods as "longnecks" and all pterosaurs as "flyers"), it has occurred to me that (as you also seemed to notice) Saurolophus is practically the only species that is actually seen swimming in the series. (There's also the Edmontosaurus in the introduction of LBT VIII, but that's about it.) Of course, it could be easily argued that we simply haven't SEEN the others swim, but it is also questionable whether they even regard themselves as related, the way longnecks, and flyers apparently do. Though admittedly, the different species ARE quite similar, besides the shape of the head crests, and I rather like your idea that they recognize their species as related, but use different terms for their respective species to avoid confusion. And vague though it is, I suppose "swimmer" is probably the best choice for an all-encompassing canon term for LBT hadrosaurs, seeing as "duckbill" is annoyingly anachronistic, and "bigmouth" is not that accurate a term to describe species like Parasaurolophus, whose bills are relatively small and narrow.

Anyway, since you seem to think the list is okay, :p should I start a new thread for it now? (I'll gladly accept the position of "glossary keeper"; updating the list whenever a new term is submitted. :))

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks to Pangaea here, me and him have gotten up a list.

Check it out!

http://www.landbeforetimewd.co.cc/index.ph..._LBT-Dictionary

Hope you enjoy it! :)

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
"Duckbill", I have to say, is my least favorite canon LBT term, because it references an animal that appeared long after the hadrosaurs. Logically, the LBT dinosaurs wouldn't use it. (Somehow I don't feel the same way about terms such as "clubtail" and "sickleclaw". ) Also, I would argue that because it was only used in that one scene in that one movie, it could be regarded as a "blooper term"; much like Grandpa Longneck's reference to stars as "lesser lights" in LBT VI (why not just call the lights in the sky "stars", considering the dinosaurs already use the word "tree star" all the time), and Cera's use of the word "rain" (despite LBT V's establishment of the term "skywater"). Still, I suppose it would be selfish to exclude "duckbill" (and "lesser lights", for that matter ) from the list because of my own opinions (unless, on the off-chance, everyone else agrees with me that it's a stupid name ). I think your suggestion that "duckbill" should apply to LBT hadrosaurs in general (much like "longneck" applies to sauropods) makes sense, though frankly, I hate the word so much as an LBT term that I’m reluctant to give it such a lofty position.

Maybe it's a mistranslation  :smile . They'd have a word for it, but it was translated for audiences? It's quite a stretch, but...

While I thought that "bigmouth" sufficed as a descriptive term for Ducky's species (and is much more specific than "swimmer"), it also sounds a little like an insult; something one would use to refer to an obnoxiously vociferous or gossipy person. (While Ducky is admittedly rather talkative, she most certainly does not, in my opinion, deserve a name with such negative connotations. ) My guess is that that was the reason her species was "renamed", with "swimmer" being the replacement of choice because of her repeatedly demonstrated partiality to water in the first film, as well as possibly the fact that "swimmer" was one of the species names mentioned by Littlefoot's mother during her "we never do anything together" speech (which, incidentally, included the species names of every other member of the gang).

That's only if you choose to perceive Bigmouth as an insult. The name only applies to what her species looks like. In the same way, most Pachycephalosaurus names could be offensive (They all use Thickhead to some extent), and some of the names like Bonehead could alos be perceived as insults.

(I always thought that was a clever joke, that Ducky was a Bigmouth, and she talked a lot.)

And your list page looks really cool!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Almaron,Sep 29 2009 on  02:36 PM
That's only if you choose to perceive Bigmouth as an insult. The name only applies to what her species looks like. In the same way, most Pachycephalosaurus names could be offensive (They all use Thickhead to some extent), and some of the names like Bonehead could alos be perceived as insults.
Yeah, good point. I actually somewhat preferred the term "bigmouth", simply because it is more descriptive than "swimmer" (which canóand doesóapply to just about any aquatic creature). But I can sort of see why they decided to change it in the sequels; because there are people out there who WOULD perceive it as insulting.

Anyway, on the revised list (which I sent to pokeplayer but have not yet posted here), I added the terms "duckbill" and "lesser lights". Do you think I should keep them on there, or should I remove one or both of them? (It would help if I could get multiple opinions on this.)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, I've gone ahead and posted the glossary as a new thread. I've also added a couple of fanbase terms to the other categories.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I don't see why they should be removed, they're all possible names.

By the way, I just checked out the other post (the glossary one), and I wonder if we should add Torosaurus and Chasmosaurus as possible Threehorns? I remember reading a list where someone had included them as Threehorns (Of course, this would just be the group that housed them, like an equivalent for the Chasmosaur branch. They'd all need descriptive names, like Flathead or...

No, that's just too confusing. Never mind.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Almaron,Sep 29 2009 on  05:12 PM
Hollowhorn may refer to the entire Lambeosaur family.
An interesting thought. My argument against that, however, is that the crests of some other lambeosaurines, such as Corythosaurus, would probably not be considered horns, even if they are hollow. Unless the idea is that they are "horns", as in musical instruments. :p

Names like Tubehead may just be different last names.
You're probably right about that. I think fanfiction writers should have the option to use it as a species name, though, so I am keeping it on the list, but referencing your comment under Notes.

Lesser lights may simply be poetic speaking.
That's a VERY good point. I've added that under Notes. (I hope that's okay with you. ;))

Quote from: DarkHououmon,Sep 29 2009 on  05:27 PM
I recall seeing another term for Tyrannosaurus Rex in an LBT fanfic, though I cannot remember exactly which one. The term was Bonecrusher Sharptooth.
Thanks for that, Kacie. :) "Bonecrusher Sharptooth" has been added to the list.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hmm. Anyone got a possible name for a Maiasaura? They've been in some of the earlier films, but never named.

EDIT: Come to think of it, is there any name for a "Teenage" dinosaur? Or at least a young adult. I'm writing a story involving a character who is probably the equivalent of that, and it's getting a bit ridiculous referring to him as "Young One", which seems to be the closest thing.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Maiasaura is a REALLY tricky dinosaur to come up with a name for. Better known for its parental behavior than its appearance, it wasn't a very distinctive hadrosaur (though I believe it had a small, horizontal ridge-like crest on its forehead). I suppose it could be considered a type of Duckbill/Swimmer, but there's still the problem of coming up with an epithet (that's probably not quite the right word, but you know what I mean).

Oddly enough, while the infamous Mrs. Maia of LBT VI is portrayed as a two-legged dinosaur, in subsequent movies Maiasaura is depicted as being chiefly quadrupedal.

I can't think of an LBT word for "teenager" at this time, though your comment did remind me; in "The Big Longneck Test", Grandpa Longneck refers to something called "the Time of Great Growing", which I presume refers to adolescence. Maybe I should add that term to the glossary.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oddly enough, while the infamous Mrs. Maia of LBT VI is portrayed as a two-legged dinosaur, in subsequent movies Maiasaura is depicted as being chiefly quadrupedal.

Aren't the others just walking on their hands?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^ Well...yeah, but...same thing. :p