The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Strange Weather

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I was just out riding my bike when all hell broke loose!  In Alabama, we do not get snow in the winter.  We get rain.  However,it has been unusually warm today.  It still gets cold this time of year and it is 80 degrees right now!  Usually tornado weather!  It is normally 40* F here but it is 82*.  Plus, we have been having very, and I mean VERY heavy thunderstorms all day.  The sky did clear up for a bit and I thought the storm was gone.  I was riding my bike and the sky was clear.  then, the sky got black and iI mean black clouds and, a huge thunderstorm came out of nowhere.  I peddeled home as fast as I could.  It started pouring like crazy right after I got in the house.  Man, it is dark and scarry outside.  Behold, Alabama's wierd weather.  It can be clear one minute and two seconds later there can be a raging thunderstorm like the one raging outside even as I type.  Two years ago, we were whitewater rafting in Pratville, Alabama on a clear day.  As soon as we got out of the water, a thunderstorm popped up.  Of course, it was summer so a sudden thunderstorm was not unusual but four people,(we didn't know),  were hit by lightning at some river event.  Last Easter, we had a huge tornado outbreak. :huh:  :o  :(  :unsure:  :blink:  :cry2

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Man it is storming.  I am about to tae shelter.  the tornado sirens just went off.  Crap!

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
We are having even more strange weather today.  It is foggy and there is thunder and the sky is all yellow looking.  Wierd. <_<

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
When you get a yellow sky that means there's one heck of a storm coming.  You don't see that very often around here, but summertime is the only real time when you might see something as severe as that, at least around here.

Keep safe and aware of the weather forcast is my only suggestion.  I know one time during my summer classes a very severe storm went through and I did end up having to drive home in it, and you couldn't see anything in front of your car's hood practically...it was raining that hard.  :o  Scary.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, like I said, Alabama's weather can change in the blink on an eye.  We did get a small thunderstorm but that was it.  Now it is a bright, sunny day but a bit windy.  There are still some dark clouds but that is all. :)

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
we having some major cold spells here and the high pressure isn't moving a bit over the british isles so the cold keeps coming. britians weather always been wierd

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There have been temperatures of about -30 degrees in parts of Germany as well (which is REALLY very uncommon). It is not that bad in the densly settled region where I live. I actually like the waking effect of the dry and cold air.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
It's cold over here. But we haven't had any snow on the ground since Christmas.  And other parts of the state have at least six inches of snow on the ground.  And the only snow we've had just dusted the surface.  But it HAS been very cold and gusty here. In this part of my state the winds can get up to extremly fast speeds.  A few weeks ago the wind was blowing as 87 miles an hour!!  Two tractor trailers and one RV blew over that day.  Not much snow up here, but a lot of extremly gusty winds.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There isn't much snow at the moment right where I live. However a bit further south buildings are collapsing because the roofs can't carry the weight of the snow anymore.
Which state are you from Cyberlizard?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I'd guess he's from Montana....unless he's buying internet service from another state.  :P:

I actually think the weather here in NY is much more frigid than what even Montana is getting right about now.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Correct! :DD   I'm from Montana, well known for its urban legend surrounding cowboys.  Montana is also well known for Paleontologist Jack Horner and his discovery at Egg Mountain.  Bozeman MT is home to the famous Museum of the Rockies.  When I lived in Bozeman I used to go there for at least six hours.  I loved it there.  But now I'm in an isolated little town in between Livingston and Billings where the wind blows every single day.  The weather up here is also very unpredictable.  Five years ago, it snowed two feet in June.  Power lines snapped and trees branches broke under the weight.  :blink: But Montana is also a very beautiful place in the summer time.  Very hot and humid.  But the winter storms from Canada bring the Temprature down to -15 degrees farenheit just like that.  But Montana is full of geological beauty.  Like this photo I took of the Crazy mountains.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Cool! So you live quite close to Yellowstone National Park and not too far from Little Big Horn either (both places I would love to visit some day), not to mention the fact that there are few places where as many different dinosaur fossils have been found as in Montana. Whenever the (half-serious half-joking) discussion about the location of the Great Valley in our world was started, I stated the opinion that it must have been in Montana.
Actually there is not a place in the world where all the different kinds of dinosaurs have been found which we see in LBT (not to mention the fact that they lived ages apart from each other), but in Montana many of them were found. Also Montana is far enough north so there could be an Aurora Borealis (as the one we see in LBT 3 which rules out any locations close to the equator).

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The Last aurora borealis I saw was four years ago, and I remember it quite vividly.  It was a beautiful mixture of green and red.  And yes, I live very close to Yellowstone, about an hour and a half's drive, it's also a pretty site on the trip over there.  You go through Paradise Valley which is famous for the "Chico Hot Springs" resort and not to mention Emigrant Peak, at eleven thousand feet high.  But its been a while since I went to Yellowstone.  I guess when you live next to a national icon you sort of take it for granted.  I should go back there, take some photos and post them on this site. :DD

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's been a Crazy winter here so far!

Throughout most of January, my area was setting new records for high temperatures, up in range of +10 to +16 celcius.  The last couple of weeks have been fairly cold (around -8 to -20) but not brutally cold.  Today, we got more snow than we've had all year, and it's still snowing!  It's about -6 right now.

but the classiest thing:  about 2 weeks ago waiting for the bus in the afternoon, it was snowing fairly hard, but the sun was shining, the sky was quite clear, it was bright out, and it couldnt' have been any colder than -1 or so.  It was fantastic - the weirdest thing I think I'veen seen, weather-wise in a long time.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It just gets wet here in the winter.  It is cloudy and rainy outside right now.  Temperatures usually don't get very low.  When it snows here, it is just very wet and slushy.  The temperature is 63* F right now.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This winter is the wierdest so far.  First we only get small snow falls that melt within hours, but it gets in between 20 and 40 degrees Farenheit.  At the begining of this week we had below zero temperature and heavy snow and now the temp. skyrockets into the upper 30s and 40s and all of the snow melted.  Talk about wierd wether.  :blink:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Tell me about it! It was snowing over part of the UK yesterday :blink: It's supposed to be approaching Spring so what's the deal?! IT's supposed to be getting warmer! NOT COLDER!!! It was almost sub-zero yesterday (including wind chill factor!) About -2*C at times. It doesn't help being on the coast where there's a constant breeze off the sea. I'm sitting in my room now listening to the wind howling outside... :( Gawd...I dont wanna have to face it again...I can't stand the cold! <_< Gimme searing heat anyday! :lol

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm very lucky right now.  Normally, at my university, I could expect a couple of blizzards and regular mild snow all winter.  But this semester, I am at an internship down in Florida, so the weather is always sunny and around 70.

I am a cast member at the Animal Kindom.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
In the late fall to early spring the wind blows at 60-70 miles an hour here, every, single, day.  And I have to walk to school in it.
    :mad  :mad  :angry:  :angry:  :bang  :bang

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Disney cast member eh Stitch?  :D  That's got to be a neat experience.

Still snow around these parts....and spring doesn't officially start until March 22nd I think so I don't see it going anywhere.  Sometimes its been around 40 or 50 but then we're reminded its winter and its 10.  :blink: