The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

"Like Fire in the Night" signup/ideas thread

Fyn16 · 2 · 1526

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Hello everyone! I'm back! And while I was away, I've been developing a potentially hefty RP that could be quite a bit of fun. Allow me to explain.

Our adventure follows a story format, with all participants writing in the past tense (as if we were writing a book). The end goal, actually, is to come up with something publish-worthy that we can come back and look at later on down the road, smile, and say "yep. We did that. Nice."

Jokes aside, our story would primarily follow a family of Cryolophosaurs (Crest-teeth? I dunno, still working on that one) living somewhere in the northern hemisphere- a frozen, wintry wonderland, if you will, with room for other characters to be introduced later on down the road. Age-wise, I'd set the generation of kids in their early adolescent years- just old enough to be competent travelers, but young enough to be plenty naive still. The appearance of the "Night Rainbow," "Night Fire," "Sky Dazzle," or whatever they call the Northern Lights would hold some special significance to their species- a sign that their youngest are ready to take the "Great Journey" (I'll probably have a better name for that, too, but I'm working on it). Primarily, the first and main parts will be a family of young Cryos undergoing this journey, but as I said, other roles will come into play later on as they meet more creatures along the way. Right now, I've nailed down a few potential motivations for this "Great Journey," (which, since the Northern Lights are quite common, perhaps only would happen when they're at their brightest):

-the recognition of a new generation of Cryos by what they believe to be the spirits of their ancestors. Basically a coming of age ceremony.

-a migration, possibly to flee a disaster of some kind, or even a seasonal relocation

-a dreamlike message, promising some Great Valley-esque "promised land"

Obviously I'm open to more suggestions. If this sounds interesting to you, though, please go ahead and let me know below, and we can work on developing this into a full-fledged RP!

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Very interesting concept!  I will certainly be interested in participating in this RP.  As for the proposed idea thus far, I will need to think about what has been laid out thus far.  The only other idea I can think of at the moment is that perhaps the Northern Lights might be seen as a cue that the children of the pack must go on their own and find a new territory to extend their species.  Something that is basically a combination of an order to migrate and an order to sacrifice their children to appease the powers that be (as the parents will never see their children again).  But then again, that idea might be too dark and a bit more convoluted than necessary.

In any event I see this idea having a lot of potential, and I look forward in seeing where it goes.  :)

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.